Jimmy Page's rose embroidered matador jacket

Luca850

Hi everybody,

this is the first time that I write here... english is not my first language, so forgive me for any errors :blush:

I'd like to realize a replica of one of the Jimmy Page's suit (from 1973 live concerts)...

is there anyone out there who knows where I can find some good pics of Jimmy Page's "Rose embroidered jacket" (anyone knows who is the tailor?)

Thank you very much

tumblr_inline_mk6p3g65UK1qz4rgp.jpg

Hi,

thanks for the reply... yes, I've seen it.

My aunt is a very master in embroidery... but my problem at the moment is to find a jacket that looks like the one weared by Jimmy.

Looks like a bolero jacket, but also a bullfighter jacket... (the best would to know also the material, from "The Song Remain The Same" the effect of light affects the material, sometimes seem to be

velvet, sometimes cotton)

Luca

The photo below was posted by Glyn in the other thread he provided the link to, but I reposted it here for ease of my description.

As far as sewing and embroidering a copy of this jacket, I can tell you that the red poppy is not embroiderded. It is a separate embellishment that has been either edge stitched on or glued. I can tell this by it's raised qualities and the slight dark shadow surrounding the poppies. The leaves surrounding maybe the same, but more likely lots of heavy embroidery.

On the sleeve, the gold colour poppies are probably also a separate embellishment attached and then over-edged (sewn) on. There are also obvious fake red gemstones glued onto the centre of the gold poppies and up and down the sleeve. The rest of the gold colour leaf and stem on the sleeve is straight forward decorative embroidery.

jimsongremainsthesamejacket_zps91983ab6.

The photo below was posted by Glyn in the other thread he provided the link to, but I reposted it here for ease of my description.

As far as sewing and embroidering a copy of this jacket, I can tell you that the red poppy is not embroiderded. It is a separate embellishment that has been either edge stitched on or glued. I can tell this by it's raised qualities and the slight dark shadow surrounding the poppies. The leaves surrounding maybe the same, but more likely lots of heavy embroidery.

On the sleeve, the gold colour poppies are probably also a separate embellishment attached and then over-edged (sewn) on. There are also obvious fake red gemstones glued onto the centre of the gold poppies and up and down the sleeve. The rest of the gold colour leaf and stem on the sleeve is straight forward decorative embroidery.

Good post.

In this photo (enlarged from the black and white one) it looks like it could be a separately embroidered embellishment that was stitched to the jacket. At first I thought it was completely beaded, but it doesn't look that way in this picture.

Untitled-1_zps75f84d22.jpg

Edited by Glyn

The poppy is baffling. In the black and white enlargement it really looks embroidered, but in the colour pics, especially the larger ones, it almost looks plastic .... which would account for the light reflecting off it, making it appear to have beading.

But no matter what it is created from, it had to be added afterwards, because the material isn't strong enough to handle that sort of heavy hand or machine stitching. As for what the jacket material is .... It's not velvet, because it doesn't have that sort of texture. One of the b/w pics in the other thread has it looking like an almost crinkly fabric, but that just could be because it was scrunched up and not folded or hung .... tsk tsk. I tend to think it's probably just a basic polyester, synthetic type blend. It also looks like it has button hole loops for fastners, but only on part of the mid section.

Perhaps contact Jimmy Page tribute artist Jimmy Sakurai to inquire if he would be willing to assist with acquiring replica stage attire. The Jimmy Page stage attire he wears is some of the best I have ever seen and it encompasses every era of Jimmy's career in music.

Many thanks to everybody for the replies and for the good tips...

As I thought, the jacket's material seem to be very very soft to support this kind of embroidery...

...I tend to think it's probably just a basic polyester, synthetic type blend.

Me too...

Perhaps contact Jimmy Page tribute artist Jimmy Sakurai to inquire if he would be willing to assist with acquiring replica stage attire. The Jimmy Page stage attire he wears is some of the best I have ever seen and it encompasses every era of Jimmy's career in music.

Ok, I will try to do it, thanks...

I also thought I remembered Steve Z(oso) when he was with Led Zepagain wearing this jacket, but checking the RO pages and Steve's FB page, I think I was mistaken and it was the dragon suit. Of course the new Led Zepagain FB page has deleted all previous record's of Steve's pics :thumbdown: ........... Steve is in a better place now a days anyway, so stuff em!

I took a look to Led Zepagain FB page and, yes, I saw only the dragon suit...

About Steve Z(oso), I found only a "myspace" page with one pic only.

Anyway, I've sent an e-mail to Jimmy Sakurai, I hope that he can give me some information about his suit...

The current Led Zepagain FB page doesn't have any of the older pics of Steve Zukowsky, who is Steve Z (oso). He is a member of this forum, but I haven't seen him post here for quite some time, however he is active at RO.

Steve's current band is Zeppelin USA, known as "ZUSA". https://www.facebook.com/zusarocks

And seeing as i'm talking about poppy suits and Steve Z (oso)

I'm going to indulge myself with a favourite LZ song, performed by Steve on his last night with Led Zepagain on Aug 12, 2012.

and a shameless promotional edit for the new band Zusa (sorry for the hijack .... not really :lol: )

Edited by Whoopie Cat

Some photo's of Jimmy Sakurai performing with Led Zepagain and meeting Jimmy Page. He's wearing a copy of the red poppy, black jacket.

So hopefully, as SteveAJones suggested, he should be able to help you.

976715jimmyandJimmy_zpsb212552a.jpg

JimmySukura_zps7f4c3c5a.jpg

http://zepagain.com/gallery.php

Good luck with it all. Let us know how you go.

Hi everybody,

this is the first time that I write here... english is not my first language, so forgive me for any errors :blush:

I'd like to realize a replica of one of the Jimmy Page's suit (from 1973 live concerts)...

is there anyone out there who knows where I can find some good pics of Jimmy Page's "Rose embroidered jacket" (anyone knows who is the tailor?)

Thank you very much

Page once mentioned in an interview that a Los Angeles costume designer named Coco made the dragon and poppy suits. Perhaps she made the rose jacket as well.

Edited by Disco Duck

Some photo's of Jimmy Sakurai performing with Led Zepagain and meeting Jimmy Page. He's wearing a copy of the red poppy, black jacket.

So hopefully, as SteveAJones suggested, he should be able to help you.

976715jimmyandJimmy_zpsb212552a.jpg

JimmySukura_zps7f4c3c5a.jpg

http://zepagain.com/gallery.php

Good luck with it all. Let us know how you go.

Thanks, I hope to hear something from him early... And, for sure, I'll add some pics when the work will start :)

Page once mentioned in an interview that a Los Angeles costume designer named Coco made the dragon and poppy suits. Perhaps she made the rose jacket as well.

I had also read this... But I haven't found nothing about her :(

Another pic of Jimmy Sakurai in the jacket. There's many other photo's on his MrJimmy page.

http://www.mrjimmy.jp/photos.htm

jimmy-black-poppy-mandolon_zpsd06296f9.j

Thank you...

I've just received the reply from Jimmy S.

Unfortunately not help much :(

"Hi Luca, at least you couldn't get anything to make anyone's heart move with easy shopping at big stores. I just have worked hard to find all stuffs in need to tribute JP for over 30yeras. So many try and error with big cost, time, and sometimes fortunately met wonderful artisans with enthusiasm to respond my difficult request.That's all I can advice you and I believe you WILL find it! Good Luck!
Jimmy SAKURAI"

• 3 years later...

I am a celebrity seamstress, Designer and specialize in replica Stagewear for tribute bands. 

Ive done a replica of the Saturn, Stars, Dragon Pants and am working now on a replica of the matador jacket with the floral vine down the sleeve and poppy design on the left front. 

Ive worked for over 40 celebrities including Paul McCartney and done restoration work for the Hard Rock International including Janis Joplin's Cape. 

My work is high end and my prices are top dollar. 

I am Gina Vincenza Van Epps aka Psycho Seamstress and located in Florida. 

Here are images of some Led Zeppelin and Cult replica Stagewear I've made. 

Gina@PsychoSeamstress.com 

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

On 7/26/2013 at 6:05 AM, Luca850 said:

Hi everybody,

Thank you very much

I really like this look for Jimmy, much better than the dragon suit or the poppy suit...jeans with this jacket and the hair look great.  What year was this?  I never liked the TSRTS outfit.

• 4 years later...