Best Led Zeppelin covers.

coogeeboy

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most unique and original covers that I've heard.  It's in another language but you already know the words...A more latin version of the original Latin drum theme that bonzo came up with....the drummer of this highly prolific Mexican band cites bonzo as an idol.   

On 12/18/2007 at 3:07 PM, FireOpal said:

Ann Wilson's upcoming solo album has a very good cover of "Immigrant Song" -- the arrangement is quite imaginative. Of course, you know a Wilson sister isn't going to screw up a Zeppelin song! They've been covering them for decades.

not counting LZ cover bands that exclusively cover....heart is probably the most famous zep cover band. they brought down the house at the kennedy center honours... USAs presidential award for the performing arts.  I also think STPs dancin days was extremely popular on american radio in the mid to late 90s.  that may be the most circulated cover that was played on radio that I know of.  heart had a couple played on the radio as well battle of evermore and rock and roll were.   not a cover song, but Enigma's return to innocence has bonzo's beat from when the levee breaks sped up as the beat to the song.  

23 hours ago, DallasTexan said:

This is one of the most unique and original covers that I've heard.  It's in another language but you already know the words...A more latin version of the original Latin drum theme that bonzo came up with....the drummer of this highly prolific Mexican band cites bonzo as an idol.   

Not bad, thanks for sharing.

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, long time lurker, just activated my account. While no one will ever come close to the REAL THING, I am looking forward to checking out these covers, thanks so much for sharing!! 

I think Heart is probably the #1 Zep cover band, and the interesting thing is that I've heard them cover The Who and it just doesn't work. Something about Anne's voice - she and Robert are in the same range or on the same cosmic plane. The Kennedy Center honors version of STH is chilling, and I love their cover of Misty Mountain Hop.

The 4 Non Blondes version of Misty off of the Encomium album is also fantastic; I know everyone is giving a lot of love to the STP version of Dancing Days but I just don't like it.

Duran Duran's cover of Thank You is amazing! Probably my favorite cover, along with Mana's "Tonto en la Lluvia". 

10 Years Gone is my favorite Led Zep song, but I am not a fan of the Black Crow's version. Chris Robinson's singing is terrible on it! Really ruins things as for me, the lyrics are as much a part of my love for the song as the music. It's unfortunate, as I had heard in an interview with Jimmy that he was very excited to play it live with them since there was the opportunity for all of the guitar parts to be played concurrently (something he was unable to achieve with Zep for obvious reasons). 

1 hour ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Hi everyone, long time lurker, just activated my account. While no one will ever come close to the REAL THING, I am looking forward to checking out these covers, thanks so much for sharing!! 

I think Heart is probably the #1 Zep cover band, and the interesting thing is that I've heard them cover The Who and it just doesn't work. Something about Anne's voice - she and Robert are in the same range or on the same cosmic plane. The Kennedy Center honors version of STH is chilling, and I love their cover of Misty Mountain Hop.

The 4 Non Blondes version of Misty off of the Encomium album is also fantastic; I know everyone is giving a lot of love to the STP version of Dancing Days but I just don't like it.

Duran Duran's cover of Thank You is amazing! Probably my favorite cover, along with Mana's "Tonto en la Lluvia". 

10 Years Gone is my favorite Led Zep song, but I am not a fan of the Black Crow's version. Chris Robinson's singing is terrible on it! Really ruins things as for me, the lyrics are as much a part of my love for the song as the music. It's unfortunate, as I had heard in an interview with Jimmy that he was very excited to play it live with them since there was the opportunity for all of the guitar parts to be played concurrently (something he was unable to achieve with Zep for obvious reasons). 

Linda Perry (4 Non-Blondes) does not get the recognition she deserves. Not only is their version of MMH excellent, but the band itself was quite talented. Perry is mostly producing these days and has been extremely successful doing so but damn I miss her singing. Very ballsy with a great range.

BTW I agree 100% with the rest of your post as well. Good call.

Archived