Led Zeppelin = Best Band Ever

guitarmy

Best Band Ever  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Time will tell
    • It's not possible to say because there are too many bands to compare. (ie bands CAN be compared, but the sheer number of bands prevents us from doing so)
    • It's not possible to say because you can't compare bands based on "greatness" in an objective manner.
    • It's not possible to say because different bands came up in different eras with different contexts and followings.
    • It's not possible because there are so many bands that were better that never "made it".
    • Impossible to tell because of some other reason I'll list below.

While The Beatles had a profound effect on music they were predominantly a pop band.

With the exception of a few songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Revolution Birthday and

Helter Skelter to name a few, were excellent rock songs.

Led Zeppelin were musicians who composed symphonic pieces throughout their career.

In my opinion they are Classical Rock personified.

Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones played on and / or arranged most of the music coming out of Britain

up until Led Zeppelin formed in 1968.

Diverse complex and simple at the same time they were at the forefront of the British Invasion.

So in that respect they are the greatest band ever, influenced as many bands as The Beatles and totally original.

The argument about borrowing from the Blues is a moot point as they all did it.

After all imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Just ask any of the bands from the 80's, 90's and even today

Spot on Regg, as usual.

• 7 months later...

Beetleron - My turn to agree with you, although I LOVE the lyrics to "Kashmir". I think the P.Diddy thing really killed the vibe of the song for me.

The P-Diddy composition introduced Led Zeppelin to a whole new generation of people who otherwise would have never been exposed to the music. I thought it was an interesting take on Page's idea and great way to promote the band.

You know, I read that a lot on message boards but I've not met one actual person who said "Never heard of Zeppelin until that P. Diddy song". All kids I've talked to thought "Come With Me' was hust another P.Diddy song - they had no idea that Zeppelin was sampled for it. On the other hand a lot of kids and their parents tell me that video games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero introduced kids to classic rock which in turn steered them to an appreciation for Zeppelin.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, there are many good bands besides Led Zeppelin, but Led Zeppelin is the best because they never made 1 bad song. Same is true for Jimi Hendrix. And by the way, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix/Band Of Gypsys are my two favorite acts.

Led Zeppelin are my favorite, no doubt about it, but "best" has to go to the Beatles.....

Why does "best has to go to The Beatles? Nonsense.

I like The Beatles, but they are not head and shoulders better than everyone else! How great would they have been musically if they didn't have George Martin in their corner? They also have the number one spot for a band that has "filler" material - Rocky Raccoon my ass!

• 3 weeks later...

Best? nah. Best is just an opinion. There is'nt a best anything. Best...it's just a word. I can think of plenty of bands/artists I like just as much as Led Zeppelin...but non of them are the best....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

LZ simply the best ever - for me, by far, the most talented, the most exciting live performers, most versatile, with the most extraordinary catalogue of music, masterfully produced for immortality...with bonus points for mystery, alchemy and sheer magic.

It's just a pity the band didn't rate in the sex appeal category* .... but I still think LZ comes out on top.

*Ooops, sorry! Just checked the data again. Silly me, had the graph upside down...seems they actually went off the top of the scale on this one.

Archived