Led Zeppelin = Best Band Ever

guitarmy

Best Band Ever  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Time will tell
    • It's not possible to say because there are too many bands to compare. (ie bands CAN be compared, but the sheer number of bands prevents us from doing so)
    • It's not possible to say because you can't compare bands based on "greatness" in an objective manner.
    • It's not possible to say because different bands came up in different eras with different contexts and followings.
    • It's not possible because there are so many bands that were better that never "made it".
    • Impossible to tell because of some other reason I'll list below.

I can't pick a "best band ever".....

I've got a few fave bands, but I find it impossible to rate them......it's a mood thing, I guess

Anyway, my fave bands are....(in no paricular order):

Led Zeppelin

Deep Purple

Rush

Pink Floyd

All great, in different ways! B)

Hell Yeah Zepp are the best band ever!!!

They have been a great influence to music and I have opened my eyes to blues alot more.

Although there are many different bands that 'are the best' in their own quality, such as Pink Floyd or The Beatles But Zepp are my favourite.

I was wondering How Many More Times I was going to come across a "Led Zeppelin is the best band ever" thread. But I figured they wouldn't be worth anything if we couldn't count the opinions easily.

I realize that a lot of people feel that you can't label a band in this way, so I've tried to provide different options for those people.

Seeing as this is the Led Zeppelin official website, I'd expect anyone who has registered for the official forum would already have a high opinion of Led Zeppelin.

And certainly leave your reasons why you voted. It's always important to know why a person made a choice, and I'd like to hear your reasoning.

My reason to truly feel they are the best band ever is due to the fact that I have been listening to them for 40 years (started at 9) and still have the same passion for their music. I have thousands of vinyl's and have a fantastic collection of most of the best bands since 1965. While I do love a lot of other bands, for me these men where true to their music. Then in 1980 when Bonzo departed and Page, Plant and Jones decided to dismantle LZ as they could no longer be LZ without the machine Bonzo, taught me that these men were loyal to each other. Not fame, not money, but each other and the MUSIC. Back then you had so many great bands that were fighting amoungst each other or trying to out stage each other, but LZ showed a different sense of maintaining the authenticity of their music and the loyalty to each other. In other words, I respected them. I have also never had another band that can move me the way LZ can, with either an upbeat or blues based song or ballad. Other bands have many hit songs and they are really great songs, but LZ had great albums and not just one or two but all of them.They kept a mystique about them unlike a majority of other bands. When Page took a bow to his guitar it was unbelievable, when Plant came out with that golden mane of hair and his physical presense on stage, Bonzo who could hold four drumsticks in each hand and Jones who I still today can't decide if he was better on bass or organ or synthesiser. They cannot be copied as no one can truly sound like them. And during their 12 years together they created ballads and music that to this day the new generations still want to hear. So, as a band they are THE BAND and I believe that 25 or more years from now thay will still live on. This is like love, a really great one only happens once in a lifetime. And in my lifetime they are it for me.

Duane was the band.

Without him they are nowhere close to being the greatest.

Anyway they only had a couple of good pieces imo.

Love the music of the Allman brothers but not them, greg Allman when arrested turned on I believe was the music mixer of the band and coped out on him with a drug charge. Call me old school but you just don't do that. Zep would have never done that to anyone in their band.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd have a hard time saying Zep was the best band ever, only because of the Beatles. For me those 2 are the best: Zep for performance (best singer, guitarist, most exciting interpretations), and the Beatles for repertoire (songwriting) and because they came before Zep and influenced so many bands/musicians after them. My fave Zep albums are Physical Grafitti & Houses Of The Holy.

My favorite Beatles albums are Let It Be and The White Album. If I had to choose between Physical Grafitti & The White Album, I'd choose Physical Grafitti. If I had to choose between Houses of the Holy & Let It Be, I'd choose Let It Be. I definitely listen to Led Zeppelin much more frequently now than the Beatles, but I was a Beatles fan from childhood, and only became a big Zep fan around 3 years ago. So it kind of balances out.

• 1 month later...

I went with the 5th option. I don't think there's any way to be objective about it. Led Zeppelin were a great band, but were they better than the Stones? Pink Floyd? The Who? The Beatles? There's no answer to that question. There are bands I prefer more than others but that doesn't mean they are better/more talented than the groups I prefer less.

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever. No one even compares in my opinion. I obviously listen to alot of bands but there's only one favorite band that I have. Sure, I love The Beatles,The Stones,Pink Floyd,The Doors,The Black Crowes and Pearl Jam but Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever bar none.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that there isn't, wasn't, and never will be a "Greatest Band" I mean if anyone where to listen to Led Zeppelin none stop for say 14 hours you would get sick of it and would want to listen to something else, so if you where to say that Zeppelin is the greatest band befor it you're opininon would change.

I think that there isn't, wasn't, and never will be a "Greatest Band" I mean if anyone where to listen to Led Zeppelin none stop for say 14 hours you would get sick of it and would want to listen to something else, so if you where to say that Zeppelin is the greatest band befor it you're opininon would change.

You are entitled to your opinion as this is a matter of opinion.

I have listened to them for 4 decades almost daily and I never get tired of listening to them or watching any of the videos. I can't imagine that will ever change :peace:

Here's one...

Bring it on...

*no sarcasm*

59LesPaul, no sarcasm here as we all have our own opinion, but I did see The Stones, The Who...all of the greatest bands from the early seventies through all of the eighties, and IMHO NO ONE was as unbelievable live as the four of them.

Don't get me wrong I Love the music of most of those bands from that time, but Jimmy,Robert, JPJ and Bonham together...nothing like it :D

You are entitled to your opinion as this is a matter of opinion.

I have listened to them for 4 decades almost daily and I never get tired of listening to them or watching any of the videos. I can't imagine that will ever change :peace:

Hi Debs,

I feel exactly the same way, and i know i will never change, and i once thought i was the only person in the world that could like and listen to them so much, i'm so glad you feel the same, knowing i'm not alone in this world makes me wanna cry.

:boohoo:

Kind Reagrds, Danny

PS, 14 hours is nothing, i did the non stop listening thing last week 9 hours+ going forward, the same going backwards, and to finnish it off i watched the entire Knebworth show that ZFF sent me, andother 3 hours+, ecstasy pure and simple ecstasy.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there's any way to be objective about it. Led Zeppelin were a great band, but were they better than the Stones? Pink Floyd? The Who? The Beatles?

Yes they bloody well were. Even Mrs Mangani (who wasn't brought up on Zep) says bands like the Stones and The Who can't compete with them whenever she sees clips. We watched The Kids Are Alright together and she was saying how The Who simply don't blow her away like Zeppelin do. Zep aren't her favourite ever band, but she recognises they were the greatest.

Yes they bloody well were. Even Mrs Mangani (who wasn't brought up on Zep) says bands like the Stones and The Who can't compete with them whenever she sees clips. We watched The Kids Are Alright together and she was saying how The Who simply don't blow her away like Zeppelin do. Zep aren't her favourite ever band, but she recognises they were the greatest.

:yesnod: Thumbs up to Mrs Magnani :thumbsup:

59LesPaul, no sarcasm here as we all have our own opinion, but I did see The Stones, The Who...all of the greatest bands from the early seventies through all of the eighties, and IMHO NO ONE was as unbelievable live as the four of them.

Don't get me wrong I Love the music of most of those bands from that time, but Jimmy,Robert, JPJ and Bonham together...nothing like it :D

See; for what it's worth,I have no problem with this.It's an opinion,and I respect that.I may not agree with it entirely,but I respect it.

My issue is when people pass it off as a fact.So much trouble and bullshit drama would be avoided if people would just employ the use of three (or four) simple letters more often.

Since you did use those letters,I have no issue.B)

It's not possible to say nothing.

The very act of not saying anything is just omission of speech. If you could say nothing then it wouldn't be nothing at all.

Now that would be something.

...crazy talk coming to you from the Baltimore area btw...

watchingyou.gif

...any thoughts on the useless expression - "needless to say" - (then why say it) ?

That's her opinion. It's no more valid than your opinion, my opinion, or anyone else's opinion. That's what I was talking about. We all have our opinions about what bands we like and which ones we don't, but that doesn't make them fact.

That's why I tire of threads/polls like this. They are impossible to quantify officially and all they do is breed trouble. Someone says Zep is the greatest thing since oxygen, someone else says "No, _________ is the best band ever", then we have argument after argument.

Archived