Is it true that JPJ is Christian?

Myinnerflowerchild

Jones himself has never, to my knowledge, publicly stated his views but that seems to be a common idea. If you search the forum there have been several Led Zeppelin and Religion related threads. Just be warned, there are some bitter people here (and pretty much everywhere on the internet) who get mad every time religion comes up. Don't take it personally if any of them post here. Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not the kind of person who really cares what religion my favorite musicians practice, or whether they don't practice any at all. But I've seen and heard multiple people say that Jomesy is Christian. Just curious if this is true.

It's his business... But it makes total sense to me.

When John Paul Jones was thinking of leaving Zeppelin in 1973-74, he was thinking of becoming the Choirmaster for Westminster Cathedral. He was schooled at Christ's College boarding School and was choirmaster at his local Church as a kid...

He converted to Druidism back around 1992 and sacrificed his first virgin sometime in 1997. Since then, while not on tour or in the studio, he can often be seen wandering the marshes in a gray robe uttering magical spells from the movie Excalibur with a picture of Helen Mirren taped to his forehead.

I also heard he offered up Keef as a human sacrifice and roasted G Baker on a spit for lunch. All done while writing his opera, of course.

I just realized how snarky this sounds, Sag, you are such an influence on me, LOL. I love and respect JPJ and if he is Christian in his beliefs, good for him.

When John Paul Jones was thinking of leaving Zeppelin in 1973-74, he was thinking of becoming the Choirmaster for Westminster Cathedral.

^^^

Oft-repeated but not necessarily true:

This is the ninth part of the transcript of Steve Sauer's interview with John Paul Jones, conducted Dec. 10, 2001.

SS: Winchester Cathedral. I read that you wanted to be choirmaster there.

JPJ: It was a joke. Somebody said, "Do you like being on the road?" I said, "No, I'm… I'm…" You know. "I'm gonna… I saw this advert for a job for the organist out by the cathedral. I'm gonna bide for that. I'm gonna take that. I'm gonna apply for that." It was one of those things.

SS: When that was supposed to happen coincided with that month that you took off from Led Zeppelin. It was December 1973. Is that a fabricated lie too? …Where you wanted to…?

JPJ: There was a point, yes, where I think I'd got fed up with it all, 'cause we were touring [a lot] and really working hard and I'd had enough of it for a while. And I wasn't going to get another job. [Laughing] I wouldn’t call [that] a job! 'Cause a cathedral organist, that was what I wanted to be when I was 16. I was too young to go to college so I went on the road instead.

SS: So I guess if that stuff's not true, that you wanted to leave to be a choirmaster and all that…

JPJ: Should we be debunking all of this?

SS: Yeah!

JPJ: …Because isn't that part of our whole thing? I mean, you don't really want to tell people… Wouldn't they rather believe that I left to be a choirmaster in Westminster?

SS: There's a phrase that we have 'cause of the show The X Files, "The truth is out there." I think that…

JPJ: Oh, all right. Do you want to know the truth? If the truth was in here, there wouldn’t be more X files!

SS: [Laughing] Yeah, true.

JPJ: [Laughing]

http://www.ledzeppelinnews.com/2001/12/john-paul-jones-wanting-to-leave-led.html

----------------------------------------

...and so it seems JPJ has the first and last laugh....

are you asking if he is practicing, religious type of christian or just any kind ?

Any kind I guess.

Jones himself has never, to my knowledge, publicly stated his views but that seems to be a common idea. If you search the forum there have been several Led Zeppelin and Religion related threads. Just be warned, there are some bitter people here (and pretty much everywhere on the internet) who get mad every time religion comes up. Don't take it personally if any of them post here. Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you! I don't mean to make anybody mad, I was just genuinely curious.

I also heard he offered up Keef as a human sacrifice and roasted G Baker on a spit for lunch. All done while writing his opera, of course..

Ginger Baker is kind of a jerk, I wouldn't blame him if he did lol

^^^

Oft-repeated but not necessarily true:

Interesting interview! Thank you! Jonesy is a funny guy; I figured he would probably be joking about something like that. Can't really see him leaving a band like Zep to be a choirmaster.

I am Lutheran,is that what you mean by Christian,as Robert is catholic

Lutheran to my knowledge is simply a form of Protestant like Methodist or Baptist, but as Christian as a Catholic like I am. So they are not asking if he is Lutheran by any means. Just if he is a Christian. There are two main branches of Christianity, Roman Catholic and Protestant. Of course now you have the born agains and Johava's Witness's and some other denominations. But the two most mainstream are Catholic and Protestant. They were here long before the other branch's came along. Nazzarene is another one. But they all fall under Christianity. Not being Jews, Atheists, Buddists, or Muslim. And I suppose i have to throw in agnostic.

That's interesting. I read an interview with Peter Grant and that's where I got it from.. He must have been in on the joke..

Peter Grant told the tale many times and it's been oft-repeated by others, however in 2001 JPJ affirmed he was joking (posted above).

-------------

from "Peter Grant, the TBL interview" by dave lewis:

DL: how serious was it in late 1974 when jpj told you he wanted to quit the band?

PG: oh, very serious. he turned up at my house and told me he'd had enough and said he was going to be the choirmaster at winchester cathedral. we had this heart to heart...anyway i said if you want to leave, you've got to do what you got to do. but i said think about it...

DL: did the others get to know about jonesys' unrest or was it kept low-key?

PG: it was kept very low key. i told jimmy of course, who couldn't believe it...

--------------

SteveAJones on 20May2008 - 8:36, said

I've just got to say I've always thought Peter Grant was speaking very tongue in cheek when he made the comment about Winchester Cathedral. If memory serves correct he has also made comments to the effect of all John really wanted was to ease up on the touring and having had his say was quite content to stay in the band.

Lutheran to my knowledge is simply a form of Protestant like Methodist or Baptist, but as Christian as a Catholic like I am. So they are not asking if he is Lutheran by any means. Just if he is a Christian. There are two main branches of Christianity, Roman Catholic and Protestant. Of course now you have the born agains and Johava's Witness's and some other denominations. But the two most mainstream are Catholic and Protestant. They were here long before the other branch's came along. Nazzarene is another one. But they all fall under Christianity. Not being Jews, Atheists, Buddists, or Muslim. And I suppose i have to throw in agnostic.

Interesting..my dads side of the family is Baptist,not to much differance between us and them,they are German decent

In the picture taken with both his parents, his mother has on a cross. He probably was brought up in Church of England or at least a Christian denomination. I don't think Robert is affiliated with any religion per se. He has stated that he believes in a supreme being, so I guess he is a spiritual person. The song he wrote for Karac "I Believe" has a very spiritual quality to it.

In the picture taken with both his parents, his mother has on a cross. He probably was brought up in Church of England or at least a Christian denomination. I don't think Robert is affiliated with any religion per se. He has stated that he believes in a supreme being, so I guess he is a spiritual person. The song he wrote for Karac "I Believe" has a very spiritual quality to it.

In an episode of 'Godnatt Sverige' which aired April 20, 2005 on Channel 4 in Sweden, Robert was asked by the interviewer, Carina Berg, where he thought John Bonham and Karac are now. His plaintive reply of "I have no idea" suggests he does not necessarily affiliate with any one specific religion. He goes on to explain his belief in a God Head. One of the most introspective interview responses he's ever given. You can see it for yourself in the video clip below from 2:20 to 4:30:

• 2 weeks later...

Subject: The Passion of Page/Plant (Q&A extract)

Bulgarian National Television (Channel 1) "Panorama" news program (Aired: Friday, Mar 6th 1998)

Q: What do you think about the Bible saying, 'Do not make yourself an idol', you yourselves being the idols for more than one generation?

RP: "I believe that's true, and that God is the Creator, and that He is so abstract that there can be nothing between Him and myself. So all these terms like idol, amulet, etc, they are artificial and I am not responsible for them. We are just entertainers. Many years ago, people like us, the troubadours, travelled from town to town, told jokes, brought news. Musicians are always, all over the world, an extension of ... of ourselves."

Q: Are you still looking for the Angel with the broken wing?

JP: "No, I've found it."

Q: Could you touch it, or was it just in your imagination?

JP: "No no, I really did, I really did."

Subject: The Passion of Page/Plant (Q&A extract)

Bulgarian National Television (Channel 1) "Panorama" news program (Aired: Friday, Mar 6th 1998)

Q: What do you think about the Bible saying, 'Do not make yourself an idol', you yourselves being the idols for more than one generation?

RP: "I believe that's true, and that God is the Creator, and that He is so abstract that there can be nothing between Him and myself. So all these terms like idol, amulet, etc, they are artificial and I am not responsible for them. We are just entertainers. Many years ago, people like us, the troubadours, travelled from town to town, told jokes, brought news. Musicians are always, all over the world, an extension of ... of ourselves."

Q: Are you still looking for the Angel with the broken wing?

JP: "No, I've found it."

Q: Could you touch it, or was it just in your imagination?

JP: "No no, I really did, I really did."

Wow! That is the boldest statement I think I've heard Plant say regarding God. Amazing find! Thank you!

Archived