Original Concert CD Covers

Sue Dounim

Do you ever get annoyed with the album artwork that bootleg labels make for their Led Zeppelin releases? Would you consider yourself the creative type? Do you ever make your own album artwork? Well then this thread is for you! I sometimes find myself bored and I'll go make CD album covers for whatever live shows I feel like. It's actually kinda fun too! If you have any of your own please submit and share them here! I'd love to see them!!! Here's one I was just working on. The front cover is still a rough draft. Constructive criticism is most welcome!!

post-21000-0-75757200-1376005406_thumb.ppost-21000-0-99645800-1376005409_thumb.p

Sue, though I had taken a couple of photos at the May 18, 1977 concert, which probably (maybe) could have been used on my cover, I chose to do a 180 and create a cover that was to smack in the face of the few. This is in the hands of maybe 10-12 people. I would say my conversations with Nutrocker enlightened me to this end.

I would imagine many are clueless if the've seen it.

Sue, though I had taken a couple of photos at the May 18, 1977 concert, which probably (maybe) could have been used on my cover, I chose to do a 180 and create a cover that was to smack in the face of the few. This is in the hands of maybe 10-12 people. I would say my conversations with Nutrocker enlightened me to this end.

I would imagine many are clueless if the've seen it.

your avatar? :)

Do you ever get annoyed with the album artwork that bootleg labels make for their Led Zeppelin releases?

Sometimes I get very annoyed because in this era of digital downloading all that collector's are basically paying a premium for is the presentation. It is so disappointing when an otherwise exceptional release is marred by misspelled song titles - "No Quater" - or purposefully incorrect dates to deceive buyers. It's a genuine pet peeve of mine when bootleg cover art doesn't match the era of the performance, let alone the specific show featured on the recording. Even so, I seldom have the time to even attempt to create my own cover art, let alone share with others. I am aware there are some websites that offer free cover art.

I always liked TMQ bootleg covers with just a rubber stamp on the front of the LP sleeve with

a paper insert with venue, date and song titles. There's a kind of beauty in the minimalistic look of a sleeve with just a rubber stamp, you know you have a bootleg in your hands. (unless of course you're looking at "The WHO Live at Leeds").

post-46-0-13994600-1376049032_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sue, I've made a few myself but they're nowhere near as professional looking as yours! Most recent one I made was my own cover for 4/27/69 Genuine Masters "The Devil's Blues" because God knows that cover is shit, so I just made a simple one and I must say it's crap compared to your cover!

Genuine Masters:

600x425xledzep-devilsblues1.jpg.pagespee

:blink:

Mine:

post-27574-0-47335700-1418138181_thumb.j

Edit: btw, Sue I hope you wouldn't mind if I used your artwork for a Knebworth remaster I'm working on! ;);)

Back in the early days of digital (1990's), I had no idea how many bootlegs would be available so I made a CD cover for each bootleg I got. I have all the .jwl files but I don't have a program that will open them! I always tried to get a photo from the show its self, failing that I would use trippy art from the 'net.

Back in the early days of digital (1990's), I had no idea how many bootlegs would be available so I made a CD cover for each bootleg I got. I have all the .jwl files but I don't have a program that will open them! I always tried to get a photo from the show its self, failing that I would use trippy art from the 'net.

That's a shame! the only thing that I know of that will open .jwl files is the Roxio Easy CD Creator software. Its out there and opens jwl files if you're willing to spend a few bucks for it. That's what I try to do, too. I try to use one from the same show or one close too it. That trippy art can be a bit much sometimes...

• 4 months later...

Second one is Offenburg 1973, "A Little Bit Warm". This isn't 100% original on my part, it's a rip off of "Now In The Time of Reckoning." I figured I could improve on it, so here's what I did. I'd love to hear criticism from anyone!

EDIT: sorry bout the massive sizes of the photos, hope you can still view them easily

Cover/rear booklet

post-27574-0-62898100-1429841672_thumb.j

Inner booklet

post-27574-0-41380000-1429841640_thumb.j

Inner CD tray

post-27574-0-55353700-1429841700_thumb.j

Outer CD tray

post-27574-0-90805800-1429841726_thumb.j

Here is some stuff I did for my remaster of the 10-04-1972 show from Japan that was included in the sake bomb release. I had to use pics from the Australian shows on the back cover as I didn't have any closeups from the japan show. I've made a shitload of my own covers. Photoshop is a great tool!!

8cb0b4d8-0462-4469-983b-1bda869d6446.jpg

LZ10472.Back20Cover.jpg

0ce71377-70f2-44cf-a4f7-4d09fbbb1f5a.jpg

Wonder if Sue would post a pic of "From One Birmingham To Another".

Great front cover work for what coulda been Nutrocker's end work on the discs I provided him...

My cover/avatar is the unadultarated copy.

Alas, the elusive, but excellent contributor, "Sue Dounim" declined my offer to supply (her) an original digitized (non-Nutrockered) copy, which are only in the hands of Sam, Nutrocker, Dave Lewis, SteveAJones, a dude in Poland,(edited to add, my friend, Conneyfogle) and Robert Plant (if it made it to his hands) The "Spruce Goose" attempt by me never got off the ground for long, which I guess is ok..This would've been a "non profit" deal. Included would have been at least one photo I took of the band on May 18, 1977, from the upper level of the Birmingham Civic Center. Limited to probably 25-35 max, give or take, as I didn't want to fund the masses. This would've be fostered by my means.

Anyhow, Sue created a damn fine potential cover.

Hopefully, I did not go out of bounds on "forum" decorum by this post.

Here is some stuff I did for my remaster of the 10-04-1972 show from Japan that was included in the sake bomb release. I had to use pics from the Australian shows on the back cover as I didn't have any closeups from the japan show. I've made a shitload of my own covers. Photoshop is a great tool!!

8cb0b4d8-0462-4469-983b-1bda869d6446.jpg

LZ10472.Back20Cover.jpg

0ce71377-70f2-44cf-a4f7-4d09fbbb1f5a.jpg

:stereo:;)

Great front cover work for what coulda been Nutrocker's end work on the discs I provided him...

Alas, the elusive, but excellent contributor, "Sue Dounim" declined my offer to supply (her) an original digitized (non-Nutrockered) copy, which are only in the hands of Sam, Nutrocker, Dave Lewis, SteveAJones, a dude in Poland,(edited to add, my friend, Conneyfogle) and Robert Plant (if it made it to his hands) The "Spruce Goose" attempt by me never got off the ground for long, which I guess is ok..This would've been a "non profit" deal. Included would have been at least one photo I took of the band on May 18, 1977, from the upper level of the Birmingham Civic Center. Limited to probably 25-35 max, give or take, as I didn't want to fund the masses. This would've be fostered by my means.

That's not going out of bounds! That's actually pretty cool that she made a cover for that, wish we could see it!

Juxtiphi, cool artwork! Always gotta use accurate photos for the covers ;)

My only question would be why would you give a copy to steveajones. :huh:

Do you ever get annoyed with the album artwork that bootleg labels make for their Led Zeppelin releases? Would you consider yourself the creative type? Do you ever make your own album artwork? Well then this thread is for you! I sometimes find myself bored and I'll go make CD album covers for whatever live shows I feel like. It's actually kinda fun too! If you have any of your own please submit and share them here! I'd love to see them!!! Here's one I was just working on. The front cover is still a rough draft. Constructive criticism is most welcome!!

attachicon.gifIn the Evening- The Complete Knebworth 1979 Front cover.pngattachicon.gifIn the Evening- The Complete Knebworth 1979 Rear cover.png

Nice Job!, Looks very professional.

:lol: I just noticed your caveat at the bottom! Well said!!

Nice Job!, Looks very professional.

:lol: I just noticed your caveat at the bottom! Well said!!

I saw that, too! I threw that in at the bottom of mine, it's too good not to have on there!! :D

We gotta see the final result, Sue! I hope she sees this thread again.

My only question would be why would you give a copy to steveajones. :huh:

Easy answer, my Georgia neighbor.

If there is a Led Zeppelin archivist out there,

who has accumalated as much detailed info as SteveAJones, I'm not familiar with him/her,

Granted, I'm sure archivists exist with silos full of Led Zeppelin info, but Steve generally provides anecdotes to certain dates during the duration of the band.And I will readily admit, I'd like to know specifics during down time on tour, especially 1977, between gigs and leading up to the full blown spectacle of the concert.I'm curious about incidental info while the band toured, post 1975.

Strictly my observation, but I believe Steve might rile the ranks when he weighs in on non Zeppelin threads.A lot of us contribute to these topics, and people can easily be pissed off, if our way of belief about a particular topic is challengened. I'm the same way.

Accept the previous paragragh, and I believe you would find SteveAJones to be certainly one of the most valuable contributors to the Led Zeppelin Official Forum.

He has a style unique unto himself. I

Archived