sugar is evil

slave to zep

great documentary.

i think it nails it.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3821440.htm#comments

It affirms what I have read elsewhere, that sugars, not fats, are the chief culprit in obesity and related health problems like diabetes. It also (correctly) points out that fruit juices, even those that don't have corn syrup or other sweeteners added, still contain a lot of fructose.

I wonder if some people react to sugar in the same way that some people react to alcohol or cocaine? If so, it could explain why some people can have the occasional candy bar or soft drink while others binge on sweets. I used to know a guy who couldn't eat sugar because it aggravated his ADHD. This was twenty years ago so at least some people have known for decades that sugar is very bad for them.

It affirms what I have read elsewhere, that sugars, not fats, are the chief culprit in obesity and related health problems like diabetes. It also (correctly) points out that fruit juices, even those that don't have corn syrup or other sweeteners added, still contain a lot of fructose.

I wonder if some people react to sugar in the same way that some people react to alcohol or cocaine? If so, it could explain why some people can have the occasional candy bar or soft drink while others binge on sweets. I used to know a guy who couldn't eat sugar because it aggravated his ADHD. This was twenty years ago so at least some people have known for decades that sugar is very bad for them.

i have always thought that sugar was my problem. i definitely have an addiction to it. i am drinking my coffee right now with no sugar, and it tastes horrible to me .... i read that sugar substitutes are also bad for you, so am trying to not use those also. they are supposed to be bad for arthritis, among other things, so i haven't been having it mainly because of that. i used to use splenda quite a bit ....

With all due respect Jules, this sounds like another hype-scare by the food police.

The world seemed to get along fine for centuries with sugar. Now all of a sudden, it is 'evil'? Sugar isn't evil, overeating sugar is evil. Overeating anything is a bad thing and risky to your health.

Unless you have medical reasons(hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc.), if you don't over-sweeten your tea or coffee, eat fresh fruits and veggies instead of drinking fruit juices/sugared waters, and stay away from sodas/colas, you should be fine.

I like to bake for birthdays and holidays...no way in hell I'm using sugar substitute in my cakes, pies and cookies. Anybody tries to take my sugar away is going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Diabetes diet has been modernized saying that sugar is ok, as long as you don't overdo it. Makes sense, but I subscribe to the old school diabetes diet and this type 1 will not touch refined sugar, I get plently of it in fruits and other things.

With all due respect Jules, this sounds like another hype-scare by the food police.

The world seemed to get along fine for centuries with sugar. Now all of a sudden, it is 'evil'? Sugar isn't evil, overeating sugar is evil. Overeating anything is a bad thing and risky to your health.

Unless you have medical reasons(hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc.), if you don't over-sweeten your tea or coffee, eat fresh fruits and veggies instead of drinking fruit juices/sugared waters, and stay away from sodas/colas, you should be fine.

I like to bake for birthdays and holidays...no way in hell I'm using sugar substitute in my cakes, pies and cookies. Anybody tries to take my sugar away is going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

IMO, one problem is the "hidden" sugar in processed foods. We expect items that actually taste sweet (candy, cookies, ks, etc.) to contain some type of sugar. We don't expect savory foods like pasta sauce or Wheat Thins to contain sugar but many do.

So it's not enough to limit your intake of sweets. You should also check the labels of all processed food items to determine how much sugar they contain and factor in those grams when determining your daily intake.

I, like Slave to Zep, tend to binge on sugar. I learned a long time ago that I just can't eat one piece of candy if I have an entire bag of it at my disposal. Ditto for cookies or other sweets. I don't keep them in my house or office for that reason. Interestingly, sugary soft drinks don't have the same effect on me. I enjoy the occasional glass of lemonade during the summer but I don't find myself drinking one glass after another. I drink only unsweetened ice tea and I can take or leave soda.

I drink soooo much soda it's ludicrous.... close to 2 litters a day. It's the toughest thing I've tried to kick. I've had a easier time kicking coke and weed. The habit of soda has them beat by a mile. It's the combination of caffeine and sugar.....I've stopped before when I had some nasty acid refulx, but started back up again once that went away.

I've just about cut out all refined sugar. Diabetes runs in my family so I don't want to push my luck. I use Stevia as a substitue and it's fine with me. Heard some bad things about Splenda too and also cut that out. Can't hack the taste of Sweet 'n Low. :coffee: Aspartame is also a bad one.

I had that problem once years ago, I used to drink about 2 litres of "full fat" cola. Then due to a health kick, I decided to come off it and I don't mean slowly wean myself off the stuff. I mean kick it in one go and Jesus it was like coming off drugs (not that I had a habit or anything) but I had the shakes etc...you name it

Nowadays, I would limit myself to it (it does affect my RA) but sometimes I think sweetners could be worse, take for instance aspartame....I avoid that at all costs.

I drink soooo much soda it's ludicrous.... close to 2 litters a day. It's the toughest thing I've tried to kick. I've had a easier time kicking coke and weed. The habit of soda has them beat by a mile. It's the combination of caffeine and sugar.....I've stopped before when I had some nasty acid refulx, but started back up again once that went away.

Aint that the truth! Makes it even more difficult to eat healthy if you don't have a ton of money to spend at the health food store. I have been cutting down my sugar intake for over a month now. I don't drink soda at all, so that was the easy part. At my office, people bring in cakes, cookies, etc. all of the time and I have been able to stop eating these items also.The hard part has been reading all of the labels and scrutinizing everything when I go out to eat at a restaurant. I have decided that once in a while, I am going to have something sugary that I really enjoy. For instance, the other day I got a cookie dough blizzard. I think all of this processed crap full of fillers and sedentary lifestyles (culture of convenience and immediate gratification) are what is making us a very unhealthy place to be. I swear if I see one more large person riding around on a motorized scooter in Wal-Mart who can actually walk and has no disability other than being huge, I am going to go postal!

IMO, one problem is the "hidden" sugar in processed foods. We expect items that actually taste sweet (candy, cookies, ks, etc.) to contain some type of sugar. We don't expect savory foods like pasta sauce or Wheat Thins to contain sugar but many do.

So it's not enough to limit your intake of sweets. You should also check the labels of all processed food items to determine how much sugar they contain and factor in those grams when determining your daily intake.

I, like Slave to Zep, tend to binge on sugar. I learned a long time ago that I just can't eat one piece of candy if I have an entire bag of it at my disposal. Ditto for cookies or other sweets. I don't keep them in my house or office for that reason. Interestingly, sugary soft drinks don't have the same effect on me. I enjoy the occasional glass of lemonade during the summer but I don't find myself drinking one glass after another. I drink only unsweetened ice tea and I can take or leave soda.

I see a lot of that too, lol!

I swear if I see one more large person riding around on a motorized scooter in Wal-Mart who can actually walk and has no disability other than being huge, I am going to go postal!

^ Ditto! :yesnod:

I don't drink soda much at all anymore - except for when I have shots of Kraken rum (coke chaser). If I have popcorn at the movies, I have to have a coke with that, but it's a rare occasion. I still put splenda in my coffee, but have been thinking about switching to what redrum was talking about. As was said before, try to keep moderation and check those labels. Same with salt. I usually try to buy low sodium ingredients - but then they are usually higher in fats. You just can't win in this modern age of processed foods!

What's with this corn syrup stuff? Here in the UK they don't tend to make a lot of food stuff with corn syrup in it but the sister of a friend of mine had been in New York and had noticed that a lot of food had corn syrup in it. In fact it made her so ill that she lost a bit of weight, mainly due to her being sick every time she ate.

Plus to test this theory, recently there has been a sweet shop in Belfast that sells American candy, and I checked the ingredients and lo and behold...yup

Sorry to go off the sugar topic a bit.

no, sorry have to disagree with you, my friend. this is not about scaring people, it's about educating them.

yeah, the world has had sugar for a long time, but never before have we had so much processed food at our finger tips! we eat WAY too much, and WAY too often. the hidden sugars are everywhere, like dd pointed out, in savoury foods, too.

back in my childhood days, we had sugar, of course we did, but it was in a bowl on the table, and YOU added it to your tea, or whatever. we only had lollies now and then, and cakes/soda etc at birthdays or special occasions. chocolate we had very rarely. easter eggs? we got one each.

it is your choice to keep eating sugar, but if you are overweight, you would probably see a quick weight loss if you stopped. it's hard - just like zepscoda said, harder than drugs.... it IS a drug imho. i am trying to cut it out, but am having trouble even just cutting DOWN!

imho, the only way you can really monitor your intake, is to cook everything from scratch - breads, sauces,cereals ... all your meals. it's bloody hard!

Actually, the accessibility to sugar for the wealthy has only been about five hundred years since sugar was indigenous to China and New Guinea. Up until the Europeans made it to the Canary Islands the sugar coming from China cost a huge fortune, and since honey was easily accessible and used since forever they stuck with that until the 16th century. Even after that honey was still the preferred sweetener for baking.

For three hundred years sugar was still considered a luxury for 99% of the world and really did not become popular until the late 19th century. Even with that our modern refined white shit sugar did not come around until the 1950's. This refined shit, being cheap is what started the processed food craze and once they figured out how to make corn syrup we have what we have now, out of control obesity and diabetes.

White sugar and corn syrup are shit and poison, no human should eat this crap even in small amounts. When I bake I always use natural brown sugar or honey only. When I buy baked goods I get them from a local French cafe which also uses natural sugars and honey only and I tell you this, the difference is astonishing. If you bake with the real stuff you will use maybe 1/4 the amount if you baked with white sugar. Also, your body processes natural sugar quite well without the side effects (as long as you don't overdo it) of white sugar.

I agree, modern sugar is the devil, soda is by far the worst of the worst and I have not had one in 15 years. I never had a weight problem or any health issues for that matter but several friends of mine who had problems, as soon as they seriously reduced their sugar intake and stopped drinking soda in particular, their health problems disappeared.

Now that being said I do not believe limiting access to any adult, if you are over 18 you are free to fuck yourself up without interference to me, however those that do should have to pay for any health issues which arise as a result of consuming such shit, no insurance should cover bad choices. Also, with all the info available on this subject, if people continue to abuse their bodies and die prematurely, well, they have just won the Darwin Award.

when i went to the UK about 10 years ago the soda was disgusting to me. i was wondering if it was because it didn't have as much sugar as soda in the US which i was used to.

but the UK doesn't seem all that much more healthy these days.

I am not a big sugar lover. I never drink soda. The last time I hade a coke was in Thailand in 1993. I rarely drink beer but I am aware of the sugar that is in wine. Never take sugar in tea or coffee. When I play golf I take a banana instead of a chocolate bar as bananas release their energy slowly. I adore fruit in all it's guises. Blueberries are, and have been a staple breakfast berry for years and as the summer is in full swing after, say a curry, a bowl of raspberries with natural yogurt is great.

The general rule of thumb is to cook as fresh as can be. With proper ingredients and nothing out of a packet or a jar. This way you never have to look at the side of a box for the endless list of weird things or e numbers. It is a real shame that here in the UK the supermarkets have wontedly sold utter shite in the pretence the food is "healthy". Far too much sugar and especially the silent killer of salt.

"Convenience" is a substitute for ignorance when it comes to food and it is a real shame. How may towns and cities are blighted by fast food places? In fact only yesterday we counted at least 20 take away food outlets in a 1/2 mile stretch of road in a town close to us.

This thread should be read with Striders excellent report of his Farmers Market and we should all take note !!

I am not a big sugar lover. I never drink soda. The last time I hade a coke was in Thailand in 1993. I rarely drink beer but I am aware of the sugar that is in wine. Never take sugar in tea or coffee. When I play golf I take a banana instead of a chocolate bar as bananas release their energy slowly. I adore fruit in all it's guises. Blueberries are, and have been a staple breakfast berry for years and as the summer is in full swing after, say a curry, a bowl of raspberries with natural yogurt is great.

The general rule of thumb is to cook as fresh as can be. With proper ingredients and nothing out of a packet or a jar. This way you never have to look at the side of a box for the endless list of weird things or e numbers. It is a real shame that here in the UK the supermarkets have wontedly sold utter shite in the pretence the food is "healthy". Far too much sugar and especially the silent killer of salt.

"Convenience" is a substitute for ignorance when it comes to food and it is a real shame. How may towns and cities are blighted by fast food places? In fact only yesterday we counted at least 20 take away food outlets in a 1/2 mile stretch of road in a town close to us.

This thread should be read with Striders excellent report of his Farmers Market and we should all take note !!

Same here, no soda in years. I won’t let my children eat fried potatoes, I go out of my way to avoid corn syrups, and minimize granulated sugars. Promote lots of water as well – before I go to bed at night, and soon as I wake up, I have a glass of water. The Colony has turned into a country of overweight people who can't seem to figure out that what they eat is the cause of the problem.

Same here, no soda in years. I won’t let my children eat fried potatoes, I go out of my way to avoid corn syrups, and minimize granulated sugars. Promote lots of water as well – before I go to bed at night, and soon as I wake up, I have a glass of water. The Colony has turned into a country of overweight people who can't seem to figure out that what they eat is the cause of the problem.

Indeed man well said. I also have a glass of water when I go to bed and tea with no sugar when I wake up. To be honest I am not the worlds greatest water drinker but I do take at least a litre when golfing. Fresh food - can't beat it ?

I've always assumed the motorized scooter shoppers have health issues that prevent their walking about stores. You can't tell if someone has heart or joint problems just by looking at them.

True, but I have to admit I get a little pissed when I see the majority of the people in these scooters are morbidly obese and under 70. I actually am surprised at the power these scooters must have to be able to cart these behemoths around, and to make things worst many of these scooter riders will run you down if you don't move out of their way ASAP.

True, but I have to admit I get a little pissed when I see the majority of the people in these scooters are morbidly obese and under 70. I actually am surprised at the power these scooters must have to be able to cart these behemoths around, and to make things worst many of these scooter riders will run you down if you don't move out of their way ASAP.

Obesity is a plague these days. When I see someone so overweight I actually feel sorry for them, but then they only did it to themselves. The lady I used to rent from will be 90 in October and last time I took her to Safeway she rode one of those carts and I was floored at how well she maneuvered it through the aisles and around people. :rollin:

Archived