sugar is evil

slave to zep

I'm eating a lot healthier now than I was. No more white stuff (rice, flour, pasta, potatoes); and I've almost entirely cut out dairy and added (and a lot of hidden) sugar. I've also cut way back on wheat; haven't gone GF, but have cut way back. Only whole grains now; and very limited foods with labels (peanut butter and a few similar products; no more canned soups, packaged foods, etc.). I make my own granola bars now and they are much better! I feel better with the sugar gone. I have more energy and even though I'm over 40 I believe sugar makes my face break out.

I gave up sugary sodas about 10 years ago, and diet sodas about 2 years ago. Was a little disappointed with Weight Watchers in retrospect; I lost weight with them before, but there's a reliance on sugar free/fat free processed foods that caused me to consume more aspartame, not realizing then how horrible it is for you. Then I was getting headaches, and other symptoms. (I haven't done WW in 5+ years now, so they may not do this anymore).

Nowadays, pretty much all I drink is water, coffee and green tea. I've cut back on coffee but can't quite give it up yet. I do take periodic breaks.

I'm following Dr. Mark Hyman's recommendations as much as I can (the food part; not the pricey supplements); not perfectly, but it is good common sense. I do agree with the need for functional medicine; not just treating symptoms without determining how they are related. If you are concerned about the effects of sugar, I recommend checking him out. He is also on Facebook.

www.bloodsugarsolution.com

https://www.facebook.com/drmarkhyman

what are his recommendations, virginia?

so true about the diet foods/health shakes. they are usually either laden with sugar or sugar substitutes :(

what are his recommendations, virginia?

so true about the diet foods/health shakes. they are usually either laden with sugar or sugar substitutes :(

He recommends eliminating dairy, wheat and sugar because so many people have allergies to dairy and wheat, and that can cause a lot of the symptoms that may appear to be something else. Often eliminating these things for a period of time will cause symptoms to disappear. (Stomach issues, headaches, nasal allergies, fatigue and even symptoms that may appear to be autoimmune issues).

He also recommends eliminating coffee; I haven't been able to do that yet!

Technically this is a sort of off topic but as we are relating to food. As I was preparing dinner the other evening there was a programme on the BBC about food and the myths of packaged food. I caught gasps of horror and much mirth from Mrs CP who was relaying snippets to me.

One of the tricks by these, ahem food producers was to use the terms Flavour and Flavoured. Now the bit was about a packet of something like Chicken and Mushroom flavour soup. It contained not a scrap of a chuck in it. They get around it by using the word flavour. Totally legal. If the word used was flavoured then it had to contain chicken, even it was 0.0001%. Hilarious.

Also in the UK ( not sure about everywhere else) the food Police have this mantra of 5 a day. Meaning 5 portions of fruit or/and veg per day to maintain a "healthy" lifestyle. Ha that was even funnier. A yogurt containing a mountain of sugar and fat and a raspberry flavouring would count as a portion.

By this time Mrs CP had to be fanned down as she was laughing so much she nearly chocked on the Sea bass I had prepared.

RULE 1. If you have to read the contents of the packet then DON'T EAT IT

eric clapton says he had an addiction to sugar as a kid ...

If I understand Clapton's comment correctly, it was the rush that sugar gave him that he craved as kid. I'm not sure this is true of most sugar addicts. I know that when I want to eat something sweet, it's the sweet taste I crave, not any rush. IMO, what is most illuminating about Clapton's comment is that whatever demons were behind his substance abuse go way back to his childhood.

He recommends eliminating dairy, wheat and sugar because so many people have allergies to dairy and wheat, and that can cause a lot of the symptoms that may appear to be something else. Often eliminating these things for a period of time will cause symptoms to disappear. (Stomach issues, headaches, nasal allergies, fatigue and even symptoms that may appear to be autoimmune issues).

He also recommends eliminating coffee; I haven't been able to do that yet!

i was thinking of trying to go gluten free for awhile. a diet that i like to follow ( when i can ) is the body trim one....

http://www.bodytrim.com.au/

high protein low carb. i did it for a month or so and actually lost a few kilos, was not hungry at all. but i fell off the wagon because of birthday, mothers day ... any excuse :(

you can use their shakes and bars, but they actually only recommend those as now and again foods, not every day. i rarely ate them. they agree with what the first video i posted claims, that it's more about the food, not the exercise, which i tend to agree with. strenuous exercise is good for building muscle, but for weight loss, it's more about the food.

Technically this is a sort of off topic but as we are relating to food. As I was preparing dinner the other evening there was a programme on the BBC about food and the myths of packaged food. I caught gasps of horror and much mirth from Mrs CP who was relaying snippets to me.

One of the tricks by these, ahem food producers was to use the terms Flavour and Flavoured. Now the bit was about a packet of something like Chicken and Mushroom flavour soup. It contained not a scrap of a chuck in it. They get around it by using the word flavour. Totally legal. If the word used was flavoured then it had to contain chicken, even it was 0.0001%. Hilarious.

Also in the UK ( not sure about everywhere else) the food Police have this mantra of 5 a day. Meaning 5 portions of fruit or/and veg per day to maintain a "healthy" lifestyle. Ha that was even funnier. A yogurt containing a mountain of sugar and fat and a raspberry flavouring would count as a portion.

By this time Mrs CP had to be fanned down as she was laughing so much she nearly chocked on the Sea bass I had prepared.

RULE 1. If you have to read the contents of the packet then DON'T EAT IT

yeah, i know about those labeling laws ... who passes these laws and allows this??? idiots!

If I understand Clapton's comment correctly, it was the rush that sugar gave him that he craved as kid. I'm not sure this is true of most sugar addicts. I know that when I want to eat something sweet, it's the sweet taste I crave, not any rush. IMO, what is most illuminating about Clapton's comment is that whatever demons were behind his substance abuse go way back to his childhood.

yes, i am the same DD. i don't feel any rush, just love the taste of the sweet foods. i don't like hot curries/chilli at all.... yuck!

i guess clapton is one of those addictive type people?

The shitheads,....

what? who?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a cup of coffee each morning before I go to work, and I have four spoonsful of sugar in each mug I drink.I'm not fat and I have all my own teeth.

wow, 4 is a lot in one cup! i'm glad sugar hasn't effected you so far. i try not to have any, but usually put in about 1/4 teaspoon or so ....

did you watch that documentary i posted? do you eat much animal fats at all?

• 3 weeks later...

in the US the FDA is working on banning trans fat and some see it as a step to regulating Sugar .

http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/trans-fat-banned-is-sugar-next/

i think if we all knew, really knew how much sugar is in foods these days we would be shocked - it is in so many foods.

the only way to really stay off the sugar is to make all your own meals from scratch - no processed foods at all. sounds easy, but there are many times we reach for something in a packet ....

Since last Monday, the only coffee I've had was on Saturday, which means I haven't had any splenda. (I usually have 1 splenda per cup, plus a splash of unsweetened almond milk). I've had only green tea (plain) and water to drink. I'm going to see if I can keep going; I went off the coffee due to a bad cold; I really wanted the tea instead, and haven't really missed it.

I've been on the green tea for a few months now. Brew it myself, consume around 1/2 gallon a day. Sweeten with Stevia. Add fresh squeezed juice of two lemons and one lime. Great stuff.

Read up on green tea if you're not familiar with it.

Now, off for a beer or two...

• 3 months later...

sugar is not the problem as much as people not burning the calories they are eating. when i was a kid we drank lots of soda and ate crap, but we rode our bikes everywhere and we were never inside.

sugar is not the problem as much as people not burning the calories they are eating. when i was a kid we drank lots of soda and ate crap, but we rode our bikes everywhere and we were never inside.

good for you, but not everyone is the same.

to me, sugar IS evil. far worse than what we used to think. it is the root cause of a lot of health problems, and the sooner people know about the consequences of consuming it, the better.

I don't use sugar, I use Splenda.

So do I, as I have diabetes, and there is some alarming information coming out about Splenda too, although it is less bad than Aspartame or Saccharin. I now use packets of Stevia, which is all natural, and is has no known health implications. I can't tell the difference between Splenda and Stevia.

@ Dark Lord, I'm diabetic also, stevia has an after taste for me, Splenda is about the only sweetener I can tolerate, if I can't get my hands on Splenda I just drink my coffee without sweetener and a little cream, I've learned to do without sugar.

It's funny but because of my diabetes, I am now healthier.

Archived