Jones' Best Piano Solo in No Quarter?

Bonzo_fan

Birmingham 1977 seems to get the short shift in this regard.

I say, listen how JPJ resolves the piano solo to tie into the main NQ theme.

The whole song doesn't veer off behind the hedgerow.

Give it a fresh listen.

7-24-77 Oakland has a nice one. The rest of the song isn't very good, but the piano solo is good

Maybe because a woman was dancing on Joney's piano. He seemed somewhat irritated and may have been trying to ignore her!

I love 6/23/77 and 6/27/77!

A couple more of the epics have awesome piano solos: 11/6/77 and 22/6/77.

I freely admit I am not as versed in Classical music as some people (I like my Mozart, Bach and Beethoven...other than that :lol: )

but Peter Grant is quoted in The Concert File about diplomats from the Russian Embassy in Washington attending one of the Landover '77 shows and JPJ threw in some Rachmaninoff as a tribute...any idea which Landover show?

A couple more of the epics have awesome piano solos: 11/6/77 and 22/6/77.

Peter Grant is quoted in The Concert File about diplomats from the Russian Embassy in Washington attending one of the Landover '77 shows and JPJ threw in some Rachmaninoff as a tribute...any idea which Landover show?

I've actually been meaning to ask this question for months now, but I kept forgetting to. Bump for interest.

I've actually been meaning to ask this question for months now, but I kept forgetting to. Bump for interest.

and to the original poster who asked this question:

i am a classical musician so i will answer this question soon as i give these a listen. i assume the piano solo is what i need to focus on.

edit: i have seen this asked so many times, but NEVER an answer! for years and years!

and to the original poster who asked this question:

i am a classical musician so i will answer this question soon as i give these a listen. i assume the piano solo is what i need to focus on.

edit: i have seen this asked so many times, but NEVER an answer! for years and years!

Yes, we are looking for Rachmaninoff references/quotes in the Landover '77 piano solos.

Although, to be fair, and also as an illustration of just how big of anoraks we are when it comes to this sorta stuff, I bet if somebody were to actually ask John Paul Jones I wouldn't be surprised if his response would be something like, "I quoted Rachmaninoff in one of my piano solos?! Which show was that?" :lol:

Yes, we are looking for Rachmaninoff references/quotes in the Landover '77 piano solos.

Although, to be fair, and also as an illustration of just how big of anoraks we are when it comes to this sorta stuff, I bet if somebody were to actually ask John Paul Jones I wouldn't be surprised if his response would be something like, "I quoted Rachmaninoff in one of my piano solos?! Which show was that?" :lol:

I could definitely see him saying that...when you watch press conferences with all three of them JPJ seems like the one most affected by past drug use. Or was he just always that way with his answers?

I think it was on here where I read that he's been quoted as saying he did just as much "stuff" as the rest of them, if not more, he was just more discreet about it. I feel like it was you that posted that, Nutrocker?

I could definitely see him saying that...when you watch press conferences with all three of them JPJ seems like the one most affected by past drug use. Or was he just always that way with his answers?

I think it was on here where I read that he's been quoted as saying he did just as much "stuff" as the rest of them, if not more, he was just more discreet about it. I feel like it was you that posted that, Nutrocker?

Jones is notorious for his dry sense of humor and razor sharp wit. Believe me, if Stewart Copeland and Jonsey got into a verbal, Copeland would be his bitch!

Jones is notorious for his dry sense of humor and razor sharp wit. Believe me, if Stewart Copeland and Jonsey got into a verbal, Copeland would be his bitch!

Ya you're right, it's probably just that. And lol I don't doubt it

I mighta said something like that but JPJ himself has basically said as much over the years...

Wondering if anyone has a favorite Jones piano solo in No Quarter? 3/21/75 Seattle is one that sticks out to me, but most of them were pretty good...

Wondering if anyone has a favorite Jones piano solo in No Quarter? 3/21/75 Seattle is one that sticks out to me, but most of them were pretty good...

3-14-75 San Diego. Also the beginning of 3-12-75 is very unique. Give it a listen. Very different then any beginning ever played.

i'm hearing what sounds like a "reference" to Rachmaninov starting around 8:00 into the 5/28/77 EVSD release.

But, it could be in my head. I also hear some familiar sounds during the 5/25 piano solo. Very unlikely he performed more than a couple phrases, so hats off to anybody who figures this mystery out.

My guess is NO, he didn't perform Rachmaninov in Landover, but might have played the first few chords or a popular phrase of one of his works. only for a few seconds is my guess.

Texas, Fort Worth, 1977-05-22. I have heard the song before somewhere that he dives into, reminds me a bit of "all the way to Memphis-Ian Hunter" but that's not it, a bit like hurry up supermarket music, but very cool. Wish the sound quality on this was better.

Archived