JP Genesis book binding question

indigomoonbeam

I chatted to an inveterate collector (primarily of the Rolling Stones stuff) acquaintance of mine at a party a few weeks back. He told me that he happened to strike up a strong bond with the people who founded Genesis Publications in the early days, which resulted in him establishing a informal distributor type relationship with them. Consequently he acquired a special dispensation option to order several copies of any book issued by them. He has both the Deluxe and standard binding of the JP Genesis book and claimed, during our chat that the "plastic" binding is aesthetically more pleasing, which kind of surprised me. Anyone have a view on this?

Cheers,

Indi

As a contributing photographer of "Jimmy Page By Jimmy Page", the Genesis Publications autobiography, I feel very lucky to have each version in my library....

There are some interesting differences between the two and MANY similarities between the Deluxe and Collectors versions, in my opinion..

(1) As nice as the full leather binding is on the Deluxe version, I like the extra elegant, "Solander Box" they developed to house the Deluxe version.... It has a metal plate rendering of Jimmy's passport photo, and is just a very cool case to protect a book such as this...

(2) I really like the "custom fit" box that the Collectors version came in.... It has a curved spine, just like the angle of the spine on the book, and just fits nice and snug and protects the clear "Perspex" front and back cover of the Collectors version from scratches. I find this a "more portable" version of the book. When I got a chance to share & look through Jimmy's book with Nancy Wilson of Heart back in 2012 - I brought the Collector's version instead of the Deluxe to show her & Ann. They loved it!

(3) The two books are the same size, so the Collectors version fits in the Deluxe box, and vice versa..... The Deluxe version book fits perfectly in the Collectors version box. If you saw the original Genesis art renderings and photos of the two versions, you can imagine how good the clear Perspex version would look sitting in the Deluxe box folded open wide in a velvet lined box...

(4) The main differences between the two, in my mind, is that the Deluxe sports low serial numbers (1-350) and a full leather binding and Deluxe box, and the Collectors version is the identical version with a different binding, box and presentation technique... All 2,500 books, (Deluxe and Collectors combined) have a signed and numbered signature plate affixed in the front few pages of the book, personally signed and numbered by Mr. Page himself....

(5) The "browsing experience" of both books is virtually the same.... I have heard some that have seen both actually prefer the Collectors version over the Deluxe...

Just my 2 cents- MB

Please, not at all, Hecube.... (especially a JP Genesis book owner - you have a lot of "first hand" knowledge on the subject! - that Collectors clear Perspex version you have is stunning!)

I thought it was an interesting question, and you know me..... I always seem to have an opinion !

Cheers!

As a contributing photographer of "Jimmy Page By Jimmy Page", the Genesis Publications autobiography, I feel very lucky to have each version in my library....

There are some interesting differences between the two and MANY similarities between the Deluxe and Collectors versions, in my opinion..

(1) As nice as the full leather binding is on the Deluxe version, I like the extra elegant, "Solander Box" they developed to house the Deluxe version.... It has a metal plate rendering of Jimmy's passport photo, and is just a very cool case to protect a book such as this...

(2) I really like the "custom fit" box that the Collectors version came in.... It has a curved spine, just like the angle of the spine on the book, and just fits nice and snug and protects the clear "Perspex" front and back cover of the Collectors version from scratches. I find this a "more portable" version of the book. When I got a chance to share & look through Jimmy's book with Nancy Wilson of Heart back in 2012 - I brought the Collector's version instead of the Deluxe to show her & Ann. They loved it!

(3) The two books are the same size, so the Collectors version fits in the Deluxe box, and vice versa..... The Deluxe version book fits perfectly in the Collectors version box. If you saw the original Genesis art renderings and photos of the two versions, you can imagine how good the clear Perspex version would look sitting in the Deluxe box folded open wide in a velvet lined box...

(4) The main differences between the two, in my mind, is that the Deluxe sports low serial numbers (1-350) and a full leather binding and Deluxe box, and the Collectors version is the identical version with a different binding, box and presentation technique... All 2,500 books, (Deluxe and Collectors combined) have a signed and numbered signature plate affixed in the front few pages of the book, personally signed and numbered by Mr. Page himself....

(5) The "browsing experience" of both books is virtually the same.... I have heard some that have seen both actually prefer the Collectors version over the Deluxe...

Just my 2 cents- MB

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the fabulously informative and helpful answer, which is exactly what I was seeking. Still kicking myself for not indulging at the time!

Cheers,

Indi

Indi,

If you want to have a look at the book, I arranged for a copy of it to go into the British Library in London. From your posts it sounds like you live in the south of England, so it wouldn't be too far. It is on the BL's catalogue, and they suggest to phone them about availability before visiting. (Assuming, of course, that you haven't already seen a friend's copy).

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the fabulously informative and helpful answer, which is exactly what I was seeking. Still kicking myself for not indulging at the time!

Cheers,

Indi

Mark

Thanks for your kind words! I had posted a thread regarding this at the time I did it, in order to inform the members here of the book's availability. Genesis Publications were legally obliged to submit a copy to the BL, but when I emailed them twice asking if they intended to fulfil their legal obligation, they didn't answer. So, I contacted the British Library who took the issue up on my behalf. My aim was for a copy to be available free of charge to all LZ fans. I did ask the BL if it would be possible for overseas fans to borrow the book through inter-library lending, but they said that was not possible.

At the same time, the BL requested that Genesis submit copies of their other publications.

How COOL is that, Kenog!! The BL no less.....

You serve this community WELL, my friend...!

And glad to help, Andi.....!

Mark

Thanks for your kind words! I had posted a thread regarding this at the time I did it, in order to inform the members here of the book's availability. Genesis Publications were legally obliged to submit a copy to the BL, but when I emailed them twice asking if they intended to fulfil their legal obligation, they didn't answer. So, I contacted the British Library who took the issue up on my behalf. My aim was for a copy to be available free of charge to all LZ fans. I did ask the BL if it would be possible for overseas fans to borrow the book through inter-library lending, but they said that was not possible.

At the same time, the BL requested that Genesis submit copies of their other publications.

Sure would be a great thing for the JP fans that haven't had a chance to see the book yet....

It's just a very generous use of your time thinking about others and putting energy into how they could & where they could see Jimmy's Genesis book in a library setting - free of charge......

Good deeds don't go unnoticed on the official LZ Forum, Cheers, K.O.!

Mark

I"m not surprised the British Library won't lend it out via interlibrary loan. It's an expensive and relatively rare item. I wonder if the Library of Congress could be persuaded to purchase a copy for their collection?

I was simply trying my best for the overseas fanbase with that one. I understand where you are coming from on that point. It would cost a lot to post and insure (and probably prove to be very difficult to get back!!).

As for an acquisition for the Library of Congress, they would have to go onto the secondhand market like Ebay, where first time purchasers placed them at a considerable mark-up (understandably). I don't know what the state of play is in the US with funding of libraries, but if it's anything like the UK, that sort of expenditure has been cut to the bone.

Nevertheless, if any of our overseas members come to London, and want to see the book, the BL is open to everyone, and there is no charge. It is right in the centre of London.

:wave:

I"m not surprised the British Library won't lend it out via interlibrary loan. It's an expensive and relatively rare item. I wonder if the Library of Congress could be persuaded to purchase a copy for their collection?

Archived