New Waters or Floyd Album in the works?

luvlz2

He's talking about a new solo album. Don't hold out too much hope though. There was supposed to be a DVD, Blu-Ray of his TDSOTM tour which never materialised and the talk of the same thing from the recent The Wall tour is proly hot air. As for a new PF album, not a chance.

He's definitely talking solo album... I just watched the whole interview.

If anything this interview confirms that there never be a new Pink Floyd album with Waters.

I can't say I care all that much either. Without Richard Wright, I don't have that much interest.

Thanks for posting. Great interview.

• 9 months later...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-news/

It has long been believed that Pink Floyd broke up for good following the tour in support of 1994's 'The Division Bell.' However, earlier today it was declared that they are working on a new album, with a release date scheduled for the fall.

Although there is no official announcement, the news comes via a seemingly reliable source. Polly Samson, who is David Gilmour's wife and who contributed lyrics to 'The Division Bell,' tweeted the following this morning (July 5). "Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called 'The Endless River.' Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful." Wright died in 2008 at the age of 65 after a bout with cancer. (Note: Samson's Twitter account is unverified.)

I don't know how to feel about this new Floyd album. I'm a massive fan, so my inclination is to be excited (especially if they tour, though I'm not sure how that'd work), but I don't want to be disappointed. Why has it taken 20 years to do something with the material? If it was that good, surely they would've done it and put it out sooner?

We'll see how it turns out, I suppose.

Why has it taken 20 years to do something with the material? If it was that good, surely they would've done it and put it out sooner?

Because Rick Wright died. I am guessing if Rick Wright had not have died Pink Floyd would have very well made (or be making) brand new totally different material at this point.

This is interesting. I thought the music on The Division Bell was the most Floyd-like sounding release since the Wish You Were Here/Animals era. Gilmour's wife co-writing lyrics, really?

It's too bad Roger, David, and Nick couldn't do one song together, to close everything out - but I completely understand why. If this is a tribute to Rick, Roger is the last guy they would want to be on it....

Because Rick Wright died. I am guessing if Rick Wright had not have died Pink Floyd would have very well made (or be making) brand new totally different material at this point.

Yeah, I know. But Rick passed away in 2008, why not do something in the 14 years between the initial ''Big Spilff'' sessions and then?

It'll be interesting, anyway.

Dave said Pink Floyd was done after TDB tour, so that's why they didn't do anything as PF in the years between the tour and Rick's passing (obviously other than the one off reunion). I know Rick toured with David on his solo tour back in '06, did he also make a contribution to the album as well?

The three of them were pretty tight, so it doesn't surprise me that David and Nick want to do something to honor their lost friend. Using the Pink Floyd name to do it, and not as a Gilmour solo disc, makes sense as well.

When I first heard the announcement yesterday, I was pretty annoyed.

The Radio station forgot to mention that this was a tribute to Richard Wright and would feature his playing.

They just said that Mason and Gilmour were making a new Pink Floyd album.

It sounds very promising. I wish more artists would do extended instrumental pcs.

Dave said Pink Floyd was done after TDB tour, so that's why they didn't do anything as PF in the years between the tour and Rick's passing (obviously other than the one off reunion). I know Rick toured with David on his solo tour back in '06, did he also make a contribution to the album as well?

The three of them were pretty tight, so it doesn't surprise me that David and Nick want to do something to honor their lost friend. Using the Pink Floyd name to do it, and not as a Gilmour solo disc, makes sense as well.

That's what I mean, really. David said they were done, but now they're not? I suppose you're right in that they're doing it to honour Rick, but I would've prefered them to do it with him. Perhaps if they'd known he was ill for more time then they would've done (if he'd been able to).

Rick played organ on the title track of On An Island, if I remember correctly, and also contributed vocals to another song (I think ''The Blue''?).

The more I think of this album, the more excited I feel.

Yes, passion is good! Also, we now know they've been working on it since late last year. At first I wondered if they could make it really brilliant in such short time, between a month or so ago that we first new Dave was in the studio and October.

In an interview with Vintage.tv last year Graham Nash said he and David Crosby were working on music with David Gilmour for his next solo album. David Gilmour has been making a solo album since last year and we should get it in 2015, in May unofficially as of now. David Gilmour has not yet decided whether he is going to tour for the new album.

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/index.html

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/david-gilmour-new-album

An interesting aside is that Polly Samson is now credited as being a Lyricist on the new album. We can also confirm that THERE WILL BE NO TOUR.

So there's not going to be a tour for the Endless River, then. Perhaps it's for the best, with Rick no longer here. I can't say I'm surprised, though I still feel a little disappointed,.

An interesting aside is that Polly Samson is now credited as being a Lyricist on the new album. We can also confirm that THERE WILL BE NO TOUR.

So there's not going to be a tour for the Endless River, then. Perhaps it's for the best, with Rick no longer here. I can't say I'm surprised, though I still feel a little disappointed,.

Please no, let's just have an instrumental album. The lyrics on 'The Division Bell' (and the previous 'Momentary Lapse of Reason') are atrocious, every track on TDB sounds like a whiny dig at Roger Waters. Musically MLOR and TDB are more like Gilmour like solo albums (Even with 'TDBs' Rick Wright's contribution of 'Wearing the Inside Out')

TDB is a Pink Floyd album in name only, there is no way it would have sold as well as it did if it did not have the Pink Floyd name on it. I'd rather listen to 'The Final Cut' anyday than 'MLOR' or ''TDB' even though it has dated due to the topical nature of it's day Roger Waters vastly superior lyrics to anything the Gilmour/Samson partnership could come up with. I'm a little more forgiving of their partnership on DGs last solo effort 'On an Island' but only because it is a DG solo album.

In fact I would go as far to say that those two Gilmour Floyd albums have lyrics that are cringe worthy, (TDB more so than MLOR) to me they just spoil the listening experience, lyrics that get in the way of some reasonably decent music. I just hope any lyrics on the forthcoming Endless River are minimal.

I agree, JTM, about the lyrics on those two discs. That's the rub with this band though. Typically people either lean towards the Waters material or the Gilmour. I thought The Final Cut and some of The Wall were not up to snuff because the music suffered with Roger in full control, plus his style of singing is better for songs like Nobody's Home and his portion of Comfortably Numb (Pigs from Animals also) and not as the main lead singer role. But that's just my opinion. David's vocals I prefer and when the music was more of a group collaboration, I also prefer. For The Division Bell, even though the lyrics lacked a lot to be desired, it was better than AMLOR or TFC.

I am also glad they will not tour behind this release. When Gilmour does release his solo disc, I hope he does a better job with touring it here in the U.S. (with more than just a handful of dates) than he did for his last one.

The wall not up to snuff lmao, its by far the best album they made imo, just so popular it gets hate now, and the final cut was a great album, many of my Floyd friends even says its there best.

waters was Floyd, gilmore is just blah to me.

You can't say the Final Cut, or indeed the Wall, are Floyd's best albums when three of the four members barely contributed (and that's very noticeable). Their music post-Animals has always divided fans, but I thought most agreed they were at there best and most creative around 1971 to 1977. Apparently not. I think you're one of few 1fan, if you think the Wall was the best ''they'' ever did. For one thing, it lacks David's distinctive guitar sound and his more melodic singing. The lyrics are very good, but that was and still is Roger's biggest skill by far. It's not enough, on its own, to make an album comparable to when they worked together, combining each person's particular talent to create something spectacular.

The Division Bell proves this. Again, it's not really Floyd, and you can tell. Something's lacking. You could argue forever about whether it is better than the Final Cut, but all that really comes down to is whether you consider lyrics (Waters) or music (Gilmour) to be more important (as Walter says above).

Personally, I think they were best when they weren't arguing and they got their heads together to work well. I don't compare TFC to TDB because, though both released under the same name, they're really by two different bands.

There are certain songs where you realise that without either the brilliant lyrics written by Roger or the brilliant guitar contributions from David (as well as Rick and Nick, of course), they would be much less beautiful and powerful than they are.

You can't say the Final Cut, or indeed the Wall, are Floyd's best albums when three of the four members barely contributed (and that's very noticeable). Their music post-Animals has always divided fans, but I thought most agreed they were at there best and most creative around 1971 to 1977. Apparently not. I think you're one of few 1fan, if you think the Wall was the best ''they'' ever did. For one thing, it lacks David's distinctive guitar sound and his more melodic singing. The lyrics are very good, but that was and still is Roger's biggest skill by far. It's not enough, on its own, to make an album comparable to when they worked together, combining each person's particular talent to create something spectacular.

The Division Bell proves this. Again, it's not really Floyd, and you can tell. Something's lacking. You could argue forever about whether it is better than the Final Cut, but all that really comes down to is whether you consider lyrics (Waters) or music (Gilmour) to be more important (as Walter says above).Personally, I think they were best when they weren't arguing and they got their heads together to work well. I don't compare TFC to TDB because, though both released under the same name, they're really by two different bands.

There are certain songs where you realise that without either the brilliant lyrics written by Roger or the brilliant guitar contributions from David (as well as Rick and Nick, of course), they would be much less beautiful and powerful than they are.

:goodpost:

Archived