Thunder Down Under (EVSD)

apantherfrommd

This could be interesting considering the alternates.

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/recent_updates.htm

Empress Valley Supreme Disc just announced their next title, a massive box set titled Thunder Down Under. This 20-disc + 1DVD deluxe collector's set contains everything that have surfaced from Led Zeppelin's only Australian and New Zealand tour in February of 1972 on audio and video.

Each of five shows presented in this box is released in two versions: the primary mix is based (depending on number of sources) either on unedited or basic tape source(s) and alterate mix is based on edited or additional tape source(s). For the very first time, completely unreleased alternate sources (partially presented on previous titles on other labels at best) for Melbourne, Auckland and Brisbane are presented in their entireties as well as upgraded Adelaide and Sydney recordings, where for the Sydney show rarely circulated alternate recording is used to complete basic source tape. All recordings are sourced from the lowest generation source material even circulated. Additional single DVD with few black and white and colour amateur footages completing this mammoth production, and includes literally everything that have surfaced for this memorable period in band's live history.

We can expect that this release fill the gap in group's underground catalogue in a gentle way, and having in mind that only some of dates includes in the box are known to be definitive versions, this box looks even more interesting. Especially alternate mixes for Melbourne, Auckland and Brisbane shows are really worth of close attention since yet no silver pressed title features alternate sources that are known to be in circulation amongst hardcore collectors for years.

Looks like EVSD is just getting back to doing what they did best, releasing large, lavish box sets like the Earl's Court and LA '77 boxes. I look forward to hearing these.

Except that LA Forum '77 set was a DISASTER!!! Terrible sources and patches and mixes used all around, ruining shows that had previously been issued by EVSD and others in better quality. Nowhere near as quality a set as EVSD's "Deep Throat" set of the 1975 LA Forum Mike Millard tapes, which also included a DVD of the 8mm footage.

Except that LA Forum '77 set was a DISASTER!!! Terrible sources and patches and mixes used all around, ruining shows that had previously been issued by EVSD and others in better quality. Nowhere near as quality a set as EVSD's "Deep Throat" set of the 1975 LA Forum Mike Millard tapes, which also included a DVD of the 8mm footage.

I thought the box set's version of 1977/06/27 was pretty good though.

I thought the box set's version of 1977/06/27 was pretty good though.

Not as good, IMHO, as Watchtower's "Coherence". Besides, that's only one show out of six. The way they botched the Badgeholders show was criminal.

It's almost obvious what's going to be on the DVD:

-ssellers' sync of Sydney film

-My sync of Sydney alternate film

-ssellers' sync of two black & white Sydney films

-Newsreel with Rock and Roll, WLL, and press conference.

Edited by ledzepfilm

It's almost obvious what's going to be on the DVD:

-ssellers' sync of Sydney film

-My sync of Sydney alternate film

-ssellers' sync of two black & white Sydney films

-Newsreel with Rock and Roll, WLL, and press conference.

Well I hope they give you guys credit.

I wonder if the Sydney show is the complete version with ALL the songs they played on the day?

I see the fabled "lost", Perth show has still not surfaced and probably never will.

I play golf with a guy who won tickets off the radio back in the day and went to the Perth gig. He swears that the show was broadcast on the radio some time after, but like Reggie, never heard a peep about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I play golf with a guy who won tickets off the radio back in the day and went to the Perth gig. He swears that the show was broadcast on the radio some time after, but like Reggie, never heard a peep about it.

Any radio broadcast undoubtedly would have been publicized in the press, but thus far there is nothing to support the claim.