Selling my LZ Collection - any tips?

stacilayne

Cant see who would buy magazine clippings, but good luck!!!!

Clippings do have to be very rare or unique to find a potential buyer. I hate to say it, but I scan mine into a computer and throw the originals away. I could have gone the Roger Berlin route and filled scrapbooks with them but who has the space and besides most deteriorate over time.

I just figured, anybody who'd like to read the old articles from the 70s. I'm not implying they are valuable, just cool to have. The style of interview was so much looser and more candid the 70s. So it is fun to read them all and see the photos -- tons of those photos have fallen out of circulation, or aren't even online anywhere. Plus, WITH the clippings I'm including concert ticket stubs, backstage passes to the Firm and Plant shows I attended, little odds and ends -- it's more like a little treasure chest than a box of clippings. Having said that, I don't expect to make much. But, it beats throwing them out. At least somebody else can have some enjoyment -- not to mention instant gratification: I spent *years* collecting those, little by little.

The blue tee-shirt is sold.

Staci

Clippings do have to be very rare or unique to find a potential buyer. I hate to say it, but I scan mine into a computer and throw the originals away. I could have gone the Roger Berlin route and filled scrapbooks with them but who has the space and besides most deteriorate over time.

I once bought a lot of Robert Plant-related clippings on eBay. It was 99% junk from the previous 10 years, but there were a few older ones mixed in there. I wouldn't buy that sort of thing again, personally. If it is vintage articles, then perhaps.

When I read you were selling all of your collection I couldn't help myself but feel a feeling of sadness. I wondered what could have made this girl take such decision? Then I remembered that feeling was the same one I had several times when I needed to part ways from tons of cherished things I had since I was a kid because I had to move (story of my life) and couldn't keep all of the things I had with me. If I had the money and lived in the States right now I would definitely buy your collection Staci, except for the shirts. Where I live you can't even find the original vinyls, let alone magazine articles, books or pictures. You could in the 70's get some vinyls when my father was a teenager, and luckily enherited a few interesting things from him. I have a high appreciation for all old/vintage music related articles, magazine cilippings, etc and value them very much specially because it's not something you can easily find where I live. I think what you're doing is something really nice, not throwing it away or destroying it and I'm sure someone who loves Zeppelin as much as I do and who lives closer to you will really appreciate having your collection and it certainly is a treasure chest more than a box of clippings, and every single item in it it's worth every cent, in my opinion and purely from a collector's viewpoint. As for magazines deteriorating with time, well that's partially true but they can also maintain themselves pretty well if they're appropiately taken care of. I know I have quite a few magazines that date way back to the 60's and older books I enherited from my parents and they're in perfect state even to this day. Having said all that I wish you all the best for selling your collection.

Thanks, yeah... it's bitter sweet. But, I would definitely like to see someone who really cares get all this stuff and enjoy it. The articles are so interesting! Very different writing style in the 1970s, and also to see what people were thinking in the moment, rather than in retrospect.

I haven't really had the time to fool around with eBay too much. There are just a few 1980 John Bonham memorial tee shirts on there right now, and a "lot" of concerts on cassette. I did sell two tee-shirts for $100 for the pair, so that's a cool start.

I posted a couple of things on Los Angeles Craigslist too -- mainly the large items that are too big to easily ship (heavy boxes FULL of magazines, articles, etc.) in the barter section to trade for Amazon gift cards, car detailing, etc.... just stuff I can use. I don't care so much about getting massive money for it. Just need to clear the space.

As xmas passes, I'll get more proactive about posting the vinyl and rare books and autograph (Robert Plant) and stuff like that.

I have tons of images, but for some reason -- most of the time, when I click on the "image" option in the kitchen sink above, it only asks me for a URL and will not let me browse for attachments -- sometimes it does let me browse from my computer... confusing.

If anyone wants to see pictures of the collection and if you are interested in trading me stuff (gift cards, services...) DM me with your email address.

[ Same deal with a couple of collectible guitars I'm parting with. Seriously down-sizing :) ]

Thanks,

Staci

I have tons of images, but for some reason -- most of the time, when I click on the "image" option in the kitchen sink above, it only asks me for a URL and will not let me browse for attachments -- sometimes it does let me browse from my computer... confusing.

I normally have to upload my pictures to photobucket first and then copy and past the image URL from there to here. It does work to do it that way.

Unfortunately, this didn't work quite as planned. I uploaded everything in organized folders, but it placed all the pics loose. Since there are over 300 images, I won't post here. If anybody cares to browse the collection, my photo-bucket is "public".

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/staciwilson/library/?sort=3&page=0

Staci

Staci, if you're selling the vinyls I'm interested in them depending on the condition they are in and price. Since I'll be in the States on March the shipping would cost me less too. I messaged you already so when you have the time and have gone through all the items just message me back please.

Yep, I'm on it BKashmir.

In other news, I sold 5 of my old tee shirts (3 on eBay, 2 off), totaling nearly $550. Wow... and funny because until I went into storage, I totally forgot I had those. Nice bonus. Plus, I'd also forgotten I have a few other band's tour tees (Rolling Stones, Bush, White Stripes, etc.).

Haven't even begun to list the other LZ things I personally think are cooler than tee-shirts. But, that'll have to wait until after xmas day.

Hope everyone has a lovely rest of the week, and thank you once again for the continued feedback.

Staci

I wanted to post a big thank you to Staci for giving me the chance to add an item I was looking for to my personal collection that she had. Staci even included a couple of extra goodies in the package she sent my way! She shipped the item out promptly and the item arrived safe and sound. Thank you Staci!

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Thanks, Robert! Glad you like that booklet. It's rare... never seen it anywhere since.

So far, sales are booming. Even those binders and the clippings you guys thought were worthless (maybe they are, generally speaking...) went for nearly $150 last night on auction as a "lot".

Soon, I'll start posting books and vinyl, Robert Plant autograph, more tee shirts, etc.

Feels good to get this stuff out to fans who will appreciate it, and enjoy it was much as I once did.

Staci

Thanks, to Strider... I have been documenting my collection.

Just got the vinyl info all typed out.

I'm considering eBay only because of the auction cache (and possible bidding wars), but 1) I think I could get in trouble for selling bootlegs (though many of my records are legitimate imports) and 2) They don't call it "Fee-Bay" for nothing. Anyone wanting a list of my vinyl, please PM me.

Also, I'll start listing the books soon. That's overwhelming... lots of books, many of them foreign, long out of print, etc.

Best,

Staci

Thanks. I might try listing the rarer ones there -- at least, the imports and Master Recordings should be OK since they were official releases.

I put a few more shirts up. After these sell, I only have two left

http://www.ebay.com/usr/15dollarsonly

I think I'll save the books and magazines for last... that's a massive undertaking.

Thanks again for all the input, guys. I guess it's good to know people will pay a lot more for these things than we originally thought. As they say, and it cuts both ways: "Value is determined by what another person is willing to pay for it."

Staci

Archived