1982? Plant & Page 1st post Zep performance @ a FOREIGNER concert!

z1inspector

ANYONE got any info of this "FIRST EVER" POST ZEP live getogether? info ! pictures ! ANYTHING!

i had heard of this moment in time while in highschool , but it seems to have fallen through the cracks of time! you never even hear of it even happening!

just trying to put the event in the timeline in my head!

hard to do without a picture of them sO early in the 80s on stage together !

Edited by z1inspector

Jimmy & Robert had both been working hard for several months on their respective solo projects and decided to go on holiday together to Munich in Spring 1982. While there they attended a Foreigner concert and joined them onstage during the encore, 'Lucille'. I have a television news report which includes a photo as well as some press clippings. I believe I have confirmation of the date and venue but those details are not within arm's reach at the moment.

thats GREAT information ! would ABSOLUTLY love to see the picture etc......

I also WONDER what was their exact affiliation with foreigner back then?

According to my notes it was May 12, 1982 at the Sports Arena in Munich. Foreigner & Led Zeppelin were both on the Atlantic Records label, and I believe Phil Carson may have had a hand in suggesting and/or arranging it. Jimmy & Mick Jones' paths may have crossed in the '60s as Mick was also a session guitarist and songwriter; Jimmy recorded at least one song written by Mick Jones, 'A Tout Casser', during a session with Johnny Hallyday:

I don't think there are any recordings in circulation from the night Page & Plant joined Foreigner in Munich, but here's a clip from Dortmund on the same tour...somewhat Zeppelin-esque to me:

thankyou SO MUCH!

i guess im extra thirsty now:

to see ANY pictures of this moment in time, you still mite be the onlyone who has something !

I Cant believe iim the 1st to enquire about something sO big that happend ! but i cant seem to find ANYthing in our forums so far . im sure theirs a Foreigner fan who was smart enuf to take a picture!

where else do you suggest i look?

Dave Lewis's book, Led Zeppelin The Concert File, has the only image I have ever seen from this performance, on page 333. The book is small in size, which makes the picture even smaller, and tough to scan. A verbal description: Jimmy on the left, his hair flying towards Robert, great shot of Jimmy in action playing his guitar (can't tell if it is his Les Paul, but definitely not the black beauty). Robert rather still in photo, his new shorter hair style, left hand on mike, covering his mouth. His right hand below by his waist holding mike cord and a cigarette. The contrast between Jimmy's long hair and Robert's new shorter hair is quite striking. Great picture!

I did mention this performance in post #1937 of the Zeppelin Mysteries thread (January 3, 2009). This jam isn't well known because so far as I know there aren't any recordings from it in circulation, virtually no press or media coverage occurred at the time and we have just the one photo.

If I can remember to do so I will attempt to contact Mick Jones this week to inquire if he has any recollections from the night, and to confirm or deny it was recorded. I suspect Dortmund was recorded for a German telecast as opposed to the band documenting each night of their tour.

Dave Lewis's book, Led Zeppelin The Concert File, has the only image I have ever seen from this performance, on page 333. The book is small in size, which makes the picture even smaller, and tough to scan. A verbal description: Jimmy on the left, his hair flying towards Robert, great shot of Jimmy in action playing his guitar (can't tell if it is his Les Paul, but definitely not the black beauty). Robert rather still in photo, his new shorter hair style, left hand on mike, covering his mouth. His right hand below by his waist holding mike cord and a cigarette. The contrast between Jimmy's long hair and Robert's new shorter hair is quite striking. Great picture!

NOW THATS how a true fan gives a brother fan a "true visual" THANKS!

its pretty rare ,im sure everyone would love to see it if u can post it,

Edited by z1inspector

I did mention this performance in post #1937 of the Zeppelin Mysteries thread (January 3, 2009). This jam isn't well known because so far as I know there aren't any recordings from it in circulation, virtually no press or media coverage occurred at the time and we have just the one photo.

If I can remember to do so I will attempt to contact Mick Jones this week to inquire if he has any recollections from the night, and to confirm or deny it was recorded. I suspect Dortmund was recorded for a German telecast as opposed to the band documenting each night of their tour.

WHAT? YOU KNOW MICK ? holy cow ! i miss lou! ,im a big fan !

I have the original larger format-size Concert File book, so I'll dig it out and see if the photo is in that edition and large enough to post.

Perhaps the Dortmund show was recorded for use on German TV's "Rockpalast".

Edited by Strider

I have the original larger format-size Concert File book, so I'll dig it out and see if the photo is in that edition and large enough to post.

Perhaps the Dortmund show was recorded for use on German TV's "Rockpalast".

thanks Merle! please do!

Steve , do you think if they did : we could get to see it ? a video clip would be probably something NO1s EVER SEEN !

now, do you mind if i start a little ramblin on this topic ?

i do remember in 82 being a german 13-14 year old teenager and full on big time into Zep then.

and i used to read those kiddie zines then, because i couldnt get good info on rock music elsewhere (not that those zines made much sense). so what i def remember is that a then weekly zine called POP/ROCKY did run a short report on this jam with a B/W pic,

probably the week after it happenend. i can't prove this with a pic, because i dont have it anymore, neither did i find it anywhere online yet. then a week (or maybe two) after that, a competing teenie mag called BRAVO did run a whole 2 page story with full color pics on Foreigner jamming with Jimmy & Robert onstage in Munich and even had a quote or two (i think from RP) about the event, going sth like (not the exact words-just my memory): " Oh, Jimmy & I were just in Munich by chance when Foreigner came to town and they are truely among the best of rock bands these days and also good friends-labelmates, so we went backstage and then were invited to join in a couple of numbers for an encore. we did "Lucille" and it was real good fun indeed, makes me want to go back onstage again soon!"

now i remember Robert on the double page color pics with the Foreigner live band wearing cool looking black leather pants and a black t-shirt, along with white sneakers, Jimmy wore a grey suit and white scarf in my memory. seeing on the picture above as reposted from the Dave Lewis book, it doesnt seem to come at all from the same performance. it rather looks like a nice Jimmy shot from ARMS with a photoshopped-in Robert to me.

I've tried to look into the BRAVO online archives for May 1982 to have some proof for this, but they are only as far as 1980 with their archive and anyway it would cost some cash to download (whole issues available only).

but perhaps Roger Berlin could help us out here ?

my point is, the pic above is NOT from the JP/RP/Foreigner Munich jam,

but there def are some good pics around in some mag collectors archive :)

Very interesting post, monsoon. I too hope Roger Berlin can provide us scans of the German press coverage which apparently included photos from the jam. Regarding the photo provided above, it does seem to be from a different jam, when Jimmy joined Robert at the Hammersmith Odeon on December 12th 1983 as depicted in the photo shown below.

19831213001.jpg

Photo courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

Yes Steve, that looks like a pic from the same show and in those Hammersmith pics Jimmy does play his B-Bender Tele

whereas i remember from the Munich shots he was playing a black Les Paul (probably a Mick Jones back up instrument).

Thank you for helping to clear this matter.

now, where are those Munich Jam pics ?

i know i saved the magazine in my parents home, but that is currently about 600 km from here..

I'm sorry everyone for my proven error in uploading the wrong image associated with the Foreigner jam appearance. I should have checked the page in Dave's book more closely. In the book, it does go into detail about the Munich appearance on the page left of the picture, and then below the picture, it does mention the December 12 appearance, with much less description. Basis that London description (says Jimmy used a cream telecaster), plus Steve's picture in his recent post proves I uploaded the wrong picture.

Another vote for Roger helping us! I can't wait to see the correct Munich photos as well!

BTW how many times did they get on stage together ? i was only aware of the Munich show!

Post-Led Zeppelin onstage jams (jams only...does not include performances as Page/Plant nor the various Led Zeppelin reunions):

May 12, 1982 at the Sports Arena in Munich...Page & Plant join Foreigner during encore on 'Lucille'

Dec 4, 1983 at Colston Hall in Bristol...Jones (on bass) joined Plant during the encore on 'Little Sister'

Dec 13, 1983 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Treat Her Right'

Aug 1984 in Ibiza...Page & Plant join Phil May and various members of The Pretty Things for one set

Jul 23, 1985 at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ...Page joins Plant during the encore

Dec 19, 1986 at the Civic Centre in Stourport...Page joins Plant during The Honeydrippers benefit show

Apr 17, 1988 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Trampled Underfoot',

'Gambler's Blues', 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Rock And Roll'

Nov 21, 1989 at Hen and Chickens in Oldbury...Page, Plant, Jones perform with Chris Blackwell and Phil Johnstone during Carmen Plant's 21st birthday party

Apr 28, 1990 at Heath Hotel in Bewdley...Page, Plant, Jones & Jason Bonham perform five songs during Jason's wedding reception

Jun 30, 1990 at Knebworth Park...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Wearing And Tearing', 'Misty Mountain Hop', and 'Rock And Roll'

Edited by SteveAJones

I was at a Madison Square Garden Robert Plant show, I believe it was the Now and Zen tour, but I could be wrong. Scott Muni, a famous DJ for WNEW FM, introduced Plant to the stage. During the intro Muni said something like, "There is a Zeppelin flying above outside." The show went on, and I think Plant did play some Led Zeppelin songs.

Jimmy Page did eventually came onstage for a few encores and received a thunderous applause. They played some blues standards, unfortunately, no Zeppelin songs were played by the duo.

Post-Led Zeppelin onstage jams (jams only...does not include performances as Page/Plant nor the various Led Zeppelin reunions):

May 12, 1982 at the Sports Arena in Munich...Page & Plant join Foreigner during encore on 'Lucille'

Dec 4, 1983 at Colston Hall in Bristol...Jones (on bass) joined Plant during the encore on 'Little Sister'

Dec 13, 1983 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Treat Her Right'

Aug 1984 in Ibiza...Page & Plant join Phil May and various members of The Pretty Things for one set

Apr 17, 1988 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Trampled Underfoot', 'Gambler's Blues', 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Rock And Roll'

Nov 21, 1989 at Hen and Chickens in Oldbury...Page, Plant, Jones perform with Chris Blackwell and Phil Johnstone during Carmen Plant's 21st birthday party

Apr 28, 1990 at Heath Hotel in Bewdley...Page, Plant, Jones & Jason Bonham perform five songs during Jason's wedding reception

Jun 30, 1990 at Knebworth Park...Page joins Plant during the encore on 'Wearing And Tearing', 'Misty Mountain Hop', and 'Rock And Roll'

OMG ! ive got ALOT of exciting things to look forward to !

my head is spinning!

ill try slowly search these out & try not to bother you too much Steve! & the rest of you guys !

most of THIS IS CRAZY NEW NEWS to me ! i wont sleep tonite !

sooner or later I WILL HAVE TO KNOW the biggest question EVER ! :

"are their any perhaps " family pictures " of the THREE of them at carmens birthday?

I was at a Madison Square Garden Robert Plant show, I believe it was the Now and Zen tour, but I could be wrong. Scott Muni, a famous DJ for WNEW FM, introduced Plant to the stage. During the intro Muni said something like, "There is a Zeppelin flying above outside." The show went on, and I think Plant did play some Led Zeppelin songs.

Jimmy Page did eventually came onstage for a few encores and received a thunderous applause. They played some blues standards, unfortunately, no Zeppelin songs were played by the duo.

WOW! what year was THIS?

I've added a couple more to the list that I somehow overlooked the first time. You are describing to us what I believe to be their '85 jam at The Meadowlands, except no Led Zeppelin songs were performed that night. However, I will double check on the two shows Robert did perform at Madison Square Garden on May 17-18 1988. Those concerts were just a few days after their reunion at The Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary Concert, also held at MSG.