CELEBRATION DAY WINS CLASSIC ROCK AWARD

truth and beauty

Looks like Jimmy has just picked up an award for Celebration Day at the Classic Rock awards in London ...

The award category is for rock film or documentary . It was voted by the Classic Rock readership.

Very good news. Though given that any other result would have been a travesty, I'm not sure this even qualifies to be in the news thread!

Thanks T & B for bringing us the news. Great news about Celebration Day,. I've just read that Mott The Hoople have won the Outstanding Contribution award which greatly pleases me.

Here's a picture of Jimmy to be going on with. It's not very good though!. It is the copyright of The Outside Organisation.

post-14347-0-63858100-1384470403_thumb.j

And it seems Jimmy has also presented an award to Wilko Johnson

According to TeamRock Radio who interviewed Jimmy "...We also find out that the guys are working on a bigger project that we first thought - each of the albums have been remastered... but each album comes with a companion disk that feature different versions of each song!"

From the UK Independent 14/11/2013

"...Jimmy Page, the Led Zeppelin guitarist, presented Johnson with the Innovator award at the Classic Rock magazine Roll of Honour held at the London Roundhouse, in front of an audience including Black Sabbath, Ray Davies and Manic Street Preachers.

Johnson told The Independent: “It’s very gratifying to be given an award by Jimmy Page because I’ve always admired him as one of Britain’s great guitarists. I’ve received one or two marks of recognition recently. I suppose people want to get them in while I can.”"

WINNERS

The Living Legend Award: Black Sabbath
Event Of The Year: Black Sabbath go to No.1 spot
Breakthrough Award: Virginmarys
The Musicians’ Union Maestro: James Dean Bradfield
Tommy Vance Inspiration Award: Rory Gallagher
Outstanding Contribution: Mott the Hoople
Classic Album: Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton – John Mayall
V.I.P. Award: Shep Gordon
Metal Guru: Zakk Wylde
Best New Band: The Temperance Movement
Album Of The Year: Black Sabbath’s 13
Reissue Of The Year: Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours 35th Anniversary Edition
Film Of The Year: Led Zeppelin’s Celebration DayTem
Band Of The Year: The Rolling Stones
Spirit Of Prog: Alex Lifeson
The Showmen: The Darkness
Innovator: Wilko Johnson

From the UK Independent 14/11/2013

"...Jimmy Page, the Led Zeppelin guitarist, presented Johnson with the Innovator award at the Classic Rock magazine Roll of Honour held at the London Roundhouse, in front of an audience including Black Sabbath, Ray Davies and Manic Street Preachers.

Johnson told The Independent: “It’s very gratifying to be given an award by Jimmy Page because I’ve always admired him as one of Britain’s great guitarists. I’ve received one or two marks of recognition recently. I suppose people want to get them in while I can.”"

Thanks Kenog. What a wonderful quote from Wilko !

Well that's cool Jimmy said the remasters will be coming out soon, and that it won't be next Christmas 2014, but soon in the new year!

Not to be pessimistic - but don't read too much into this sound-bite with Jimmy.

It's another "I'm at an Awards show and have to say something exciting to frost this cake" interview.

Everyone be calm and remember that Jimmy has promised and talked much over the years

but we have little or no actual product. And it may be years for this product to be out there

for our consumption. 2014? More likely 2019...

Not to be pessimistic - but don't read too much into this sound-bite with Jimmy.

It's another "I'm at an Awards show and have to say something exciting to frost this cake" interview.

Everyone be calm and remember that Jimmy has promised and talked much over the years

but we have little or no actual product. And it may be years for this product to be out there

He said it will be out in 2014, so I'll believe him. It took a while for Celebration Day, but when Jimmy said it would be coming out..it did.

Don't be such a pessimist Nirvana! It will be here soon and have faith!

This is a sad commentary, but it is very true. Don't forget the BBC interview he did on 2012/12/26 when he said that he had all the material written and worked out, and that he didn't want to say too much, but that his new album would be out in 2013. His body language gave it all away, and it was clear that he was just trying to provide an answer that would satisfy. Love the man, but I have learned that he is an overly optimistic individual when it comes to projects. Here's hoping, but I won't be placing any bets on this.

If anyone is familiar with the Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions, I would assume that the new Zep CDs will be similar. Disc A is the studio album, possibly remixed and / or remastered, and Disc B will be various demos with guide vocals, and slightly different arrangements. To fill space, Sabbath also included some versions without the vocals. Overall they are pretty good, but definitely for the hardcore fan, as there is a very good reason why these songs never saw the light of day in the first place. In the case of Sabbath, watching the evolution of some of their songs is quite amazing. I assume the same will be true of Zep, if the quality is better than what's on YouTube.

Thanks Aen for bringing this here. It looks like Peter Makowski made a mess of getting them into the venue past security!! I've copied some of the photos over here.

Photographs copyright of Ross Halfin

post-14347-0-60017800-1384548482_thumb.j

post-14347-0-44067800-1384548577_thumb.j

post-14347-0-73629600-1384548631_thumb.j

post-14347-0-65352700-1384548659_thumb.j

Ross talks about the Classic Rock awards with a new picture of Jimmy, Tony Iommi and Alex Lifeson. I love how he says Peter Makowski is Jimmy's useless assistant. :D

http://www.rosshalfin.com/diary/november-2013/diary-november-2013.php

Archived