Farewell

Otto Masson

I have decided to stop contributing to these forums - no big news really, as for a long time now I have posted only occasionally and sometimes even missed out responses (sorry). I am perfectly aware that there are people who are not sad to see me go, although I'm not really sure who those people think forums like these are for if not somebody like me ... but then I must admit there have been a few clashes with some of them. I don't regret that actually, because it only means I tended to state my own opinions no matter what the popularity odds were. At any rate, that's how I see it.

That said, however, many of even these people have at one time or another contributed things to these forums that I really, really appreciated, and I don't think there is any reason to dwell further on old disputes. I will not mention names - I think you know who you are. For my part, I have in the past tried to contribute something valuable on here, and I guess I could try to go back to that, but the thing is, I have always had other interests apart from my love of the music, and my enthusiasm for these forums has sort of slowly evaporated over time. So the logical thing seems to be to just quit.

It's hardly a big event, but as I have been a part of these forums for a while, I thought I'd do it a bit formally. All the best to you - thanks for the many contributions I have learned from over the years; and most importantly, thanks to the band for the truly wonderful music.

Geez, I don't think I have ever seen you in a spat with someone on this forum, so I am kind of taken by surprise by your farewell, Otto. Thank you for your contributions. I have enjoyed and been stimulated by many of your posts.

Good luck and may the road rise with you.

Sorry to see you go Otto. You always made thoughtful incisive posts. I think the problem with this site is that there are, and have been, people on it with connections to band members who think they own the bloody place.

Take care and the very best of everything to you.

I have decided to stop contributing to these forums - no big news really, as for a long time now I have posted only occasionally and sometimes even missed out responses (sorry). I am perfectly aware that there are people who are not sad to see me go, although I'm not really sure who those people think forums like these are for if not somebody like me ... but then I must admit there have been a few clashes with some of them. I don't regret that actually, because it only means I tended to state my own opinions no matter what the popularity odds were. At any rate, that's how I see it.

That said, however, many of even these people have at one time or another contributed things to these forums that I really, really appreciated, and I don't think there is any reason to dwell further on old disputes. I will not mention names - I think you know who you are. For my part, I have in the past tried to contribute something valuable on here, and I guess I could try to go back to that, but the thing is, I have always had other interests apart from my love of the music, and my enthusiasm for these forums has sort of slowly evaporated over time. So the logical thing seems to be to just quit.

It's hardly a big event, but as I have been a part of these forums for a while, I thought I'd do it a bit formally. All the best to you - thanks for the many contributions I have learned from over the years; and most importantly, thanks to the band for the truly wonderful music.

Come on Otto! I don't know you, but I have a couple of things to say: it's a huge mistake to ever think that an "on-line" persona matters in any way. We all get invested in discussions, but what matters in this world does not live here. Also, the loss of any meaningful contributor to this site only symbolizes the gradual death of an amazing band. Take a break and come back fresh. Don't get emotionally invested in this imaginary world. It's a fun place to hang out, if you don't let it control you. Take care.

Best of luck Otto.. I hate to see anyone formally leave ... or get banned for that matter (trolls aside of course)

I especially hate to see an informative contributor like yourself leave.

But I fully respect your decision.

Take care.

Chris

Sorry to see you go Otto. You always made thoughtful incisive posts. I think the problem with this site is that there are, and have been, people on it with connections to band members who think they own the bloody place.

Take care and the very best of everything to you.

the people who have real connections with the band have never been a problem.

i wish you all the best, Otto.

i'm sorry to see you go :(

i hope you can still stop by now and again :)

Though you didn't post a lot recently, you always had well thought out and well written contributions in the LZ forum.

You'll be missed by many here, and I hope you reconsider your "farewell", Otto.

I don't want to start a second 'farewell' thread, but I too have decided to leave the site, and will just say 'goodbye'.

What the heck!?!?!? I'm fairly new here, and don't know all the players that well, but please, someone spell it out. If you feel strong enough about your decision to leave, then go out with full conviction, and lay it out for everybody to understand. There must be a route cause or personality behind these decisions. I don't want either of you to go, and I hope you will reconsider. Please read my post above, and remember that with each member lost, LZ dies another death. I wish you well, but please reconsider; this site cannot afford to lose good contributors. Despite what people say, this place only survives on the contributions of a relatively few people.

Otto - and Kenog! - considering I'm pretty much a newbie compared to some of the veterans, you both have established yourself as stalwarts here. At the end of the day all that matters is the love for LZ; while it's great to see people get animated over the things they love you can't let what are literally black and white pixels bother you. Everyone has different opinions and I think you know the old adage about how they're comparable to the orifice where the sun never shines ;-). Take a break for a while and come back with a new perspective on things rather than exiting for good.

otto and kenog, i hope you reconsider at some point. the worst you can do is take things on line too seriously, especially the opinions of people on a forum like this. Can't let these types of things get to you. I hope you at least pop in when the re-releases come, because let's not forget the reason we're all here in the first place.

I don't want to start a second 'farewell' thread, but I too have decided to leave the site, and will just say 'goodbye'.

surprised and saddened to read this.

has there been a major happening on here that has made you come to this decision? i see saj rising has been banned ....

hope you stay :)

Otto,I've enjoyed your input over the years and if this is your final decision I wish you the best.

kenog,I've also enjoyed your input and your quick trigger finger on the news,I wish you the best too.

May your souls grow taller than your shadows.

See you Otto, wishing you all the best.

I don't think I spoke with kenog but I would disagree with the one statement he posted here. Others who have no connection with band members thought/think they own the site but thankfully we get put on permanent ignore by them.

Many people I have known over the past 10 years or more have come and gone and it's the way life is. Some are best gone cos there have been some weird and not particularly nice people around here. However the majority are decent folk. Some I know rarely post here now but we remain friends and I have made and met many true friends thanks to .com. and Led Zeppelin of course.

So long guys but the forum never closes.

Archived