Happy Thanksgiving

clw

The turkey is being cut & the game is about to start. What a great day... :yay:

I have been down this road before. Many many times. The Turkey in the oven and the Lions on the burner with my fucking money with them.

I have red wine, Burgundy from France, my sides are a home made cranberry relish I made for first time using honey instead of sugar. Very good. Added walnuts too. And Clementine oranges. I made my butternut squash ahead of time and froze. We love that. Use butter, honey, brown sugar and after baking the squash in the oven until soft you add ingredients and use a hand mixer. One of my Xmas gifts arrived that my wife will wrap. Yes I know what it is. Julia Child's cook book. I am going to make that Duck recipe if it kills me. In a former life I was a head cook

right, that's enough thanks, now its time for the masses to trample each other to death in the name of consumerism

I know right..my email might break from all the Black Friday reminders. I can't think of one thing I need that badly. My kids survived quite nicely without Black Friday deals. My daughter is only 18 and now has a PT job in retail. She's working this morning til around 1pm, cant wait to hear about the idiots....

The tip of the year was to cook the turkey breast side down to keep the white meat moist. It worked like a charm, I can now eat white meat!

:)

Yes, this is a must. Discovered this way of cooking turkey quite by accident 17 years ago or so when my oven was acting weird. The only way I cook a bird now.

Not me! I just baste it every half hour, cover it loosely with foil at about the 2/3 mark of cooking time, and it always stays moist - even for sandwiches today. How does your stuffing stay inside the cavity and neck, if you have it placed upside down? I have done that with a turkey breast before though. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

I brined my turkey breast side down, and roasted it low and slow..it was really good this year. I have fried mine in the past, meh..it's okay..I don't love turkey to begin with..

I have a nice frittata recipe for leftovers..I'll share in the recipe section.

I know right..my email might break from all the Black Friday reminders. I can't think of one thing I need that badly. My kids survived quite nicely without Black Friday deals. My daughter is only 18 and now has a PT job in retail. She's working this morning til around 1pm, cant wait to hear about the idiots....

Im happy to report her workday was uneventful...the store she works for doesnt offer 'deals'..(it's Sephora)

I did however go out to pickup my copy of the 'Rolling Stone' Special Collector's edition featuring Tom Petty.

Yay!

Yes, this is a must. Discovered this way of cooking turkey quite by accident 17 years ago or so when my oven was acting weird. The only way I cook a bird now.

I needed to know you 17 years ago! I had never heard of it but this year everyone was posting about it like it was a revelation. You are way ahead of the game!

Not me! I just baste it every half hour, cover it loosely with foil at about the 2/3 mark of cooking time, and it always stays moist - even for sandwiches today. How does your stuffing stay inside the cavity and neck, if you have it placed upside down? I have done that with a turkey breast before though. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Good question regarding stuffing, we cooked it separately this year so no issue.

I needed to know you 17 years ago! I had never heard of it but this year everyone was posting about it like it was a revelation. You are way ahead of the game!

Good question regarding stuffing, we cooked it separately this year so no issue.

How does your stuffing stay inside the cavity and neck, if you have it placed upside down?

It's not that hard, actually, if you stitch it up. Actually, because of health issues, we stopped cooking the stuffing inside the turkey years ago. We cook it separately in the oven, which gives it a nice crusty top.

Im happy to report her workday was uneventful...the store she works for doesnt offer 'deals'..(it's Sephora)

I did however go out to pickup my copy of the 'Rolling Stone' Special Collector's edition featuring Tom Petty.

Yay!

I'm happy to hear that. Thank goodness she doesn't work at a Wallmart. I need to get that Tom Petty issue. Love your new avatar.

• 11 months later...

If anyone else has to work on Thanksgiving, we can co-misirate. Because of living paycheck to paycheck, I had volunteered for Thursday double shifts AND all holidays. I am burning up with regret, now. There may be some wacked out postings here, tommorrow.

Archived