RIP Nelson Mandela

reswati

Perceived transgressions? Mandela was a lawyer, yet he himself pled guilty to the crimes.

A better person than any of us could aspire to be? Are you aware of the Church Street bombing, which he signed off on from prison? Mandela killed far more innocent people (non-combatants) than Ted Kennedy and Charles Manson combined. Thus, by your logic, they too are better persons than any of us could aspire to be and just need to hire better publicists.

Why do you care so much, Steve? Were one of yer family members victims of these so-called 'terrorist acts'? Considering how passionate you are about the subject, I'd fucking hope so...

This discussion was meant to be celebration of the man's life, and to mourn his passing. Yet you waltz in, ranting about Mandela being a terrorist and what not, it's beyond tasteless. Show some fuckin' class, man.

You may be one of the bigger Zeppelin experts out there, and deserve respect for that, but yer remarks are way outta line here. Like I said earlier, you wanna criticize Mandela, fine and dandy...start a new thread about it because yer only pissing people off in this one, and making an ass of yerself in the process. You end up coming across sounding like a condescending know it all whose opinion is the only one that's valid, and not for the first time, either.

This discussion was meant to be celebration of the man's life, and to mourn his passing. Yet you waltz in, ranting about Mandela being a terrorist and what not, it's beyond tasteless.

I agree this is a discussion (not an invite-only private pity party) & I've not begrudged anyone their right to mourn, pay tribute or opine. If you scroll back, you'll note when I allegedly walked into this party like I was walking onto a yacht, well I merely pointed out there's a RIP thread already in progress. Someone rebutted that, stating this controversial public figure merits his own thread and away we went.

tumblr_mxd5qdOrhg1rbj6m8o1_r1_500.jpg

So I'm not the only one who remembers all the people who busted Jimmy's balls for going on holiday to Cuba? Something about systemic human rights abuses, torture, judicial prejudice...yet here's the man of the hour publicly supporting Fidel Castro.

Jimmy Page in Cuba:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15177-jp-in-cuba/

castro%20and%20the%20pope.png

^^^

Pope John Paul II being greeted by Fidel Castro in Cuba in 1998. Until this moment, no Pope had been welcomed to visit Cuba since the Communist Revolution in 1959 which brought Castro to power. Castro had hoped this post-Cold War tactic would help lead to a lifting of the U.S. embargo.

During his five days in Cuba the Pope met with Castro, visited the University of Havana, visited a leprosy center and met with religious leaders. He also held four masses throughout the country.

This was not the first time Pope John Paul II had visited a Communist nation. His papal visits to his native Poland in 1979 ignited the Solidarity Movement that ultimately contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Conversely, once freed, Nelson Mandela was permitted to make a beeline to Cuba to embrace his Communist crony, Fidel Castro.

Prisoner to President

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yB3MqweLU8

..."certainly back then he was a reviled figure"...

..."Mandela believed that killing men, women and children in the streets of South Africa was a tool that was valid"...

..."when I met him he was selling arms to Persian Gulf dictatorships"...

..."what he did do was impoverish South Africa"...

..."for his release he...made a secret agreement to sell South Africa off...$850 million dollars from the International Monetary Fund"...

:bravo::thumbsup:

The vast majority of people are being respectful to someone who had a bigger impact on the people and the politcal world than even saj can manage from Texas ( which is not in South Africa or Japan). Nelson Mandela showed many of our world leaders how to be a political leader. He chooses to ignore what Mandela did after his imprisonment.

I just wonder..............

Did South Africa become a communist state after apartheid?

Did the "terrorists" murder all the white guys after apartheid?

Special thanks for SAJ for defending apartheid, it really shows the best of you!

KKKase KKKlosed.

(sarcasm off)

• Administrators

Why do you care so much, Steve? Were one of yer family members victims of these so-called 'terrorist acts'? Considering how passionate you are about the subject, I'd fucking hope so...

This discussion was meant to be celebration of the man's life, and to mourn his passing. Yet you waltz in, ranting about Mandela being a terrorist and what not, it's beyond tasteless. Show some fuckin' class, man.

You may be one of the bigger Zeppelin experts out there, and deserve respect for that, but yer remarks are way outta line here. Like I said earlier, you wanna criticize Mandela, fine and dandy...start a new thread about it because yer only pissing people off in this one, and making an ass of yerself in the process. You end up coming across sounding like a condescending know it all whose opinion is the only one that's valid, and not for the first time, either.

Indeed. It's pretty fuckin' tasteless, if you ask me.

Steve is entitled to his opinions, but he should start a different thread for Mandela bashing. Coming into THIS discussion and making disparaging comments is tantamount to whipping it out and pissing on Mandela's grave (so to speak).

In spite of his perceived transgressions, Nelson Mandela was still a better person than any of us could ever aspire to be. May he rest in peace...he's earned it.

this ^

Steve, stop derailing their thread please.

It's interesting to see that some of those who demanded respect for Mandela had no problems bashing the pope.

I started this thread as a place to remember a man who just recently died.

Neither the pope nor Obama have anything to do with this thread.

I started this thread as a place to remember a man who just recently died.

Neither the pope nor Obama have anything to do with this thread.

But .. her point is still valid.

The link Steve attached containing 14 pages bashing the Catholic Church and the Pope does show there are double standards practiced by many here when they post. I'd also rather a thread meant as a tribute stay that way.. (even though I made the mistake of saying Eric Clapton was boring in the Clapton is God Thread.).. JFK's tribute on the 50th anniversary of his tragic death turned into a mess too.

But you know what? ledzeppelin.com is an International forum with many different Nations, Religious beliefs and views represented.

This is what we will get and will continue to get.. I don't know what else to say..

Rest in Peace Mr Mandela.

Clapton is God

But .. her point is still valid.

The link Steve attached containing 14 pages bashing the Catholic Church and the Pope does show there are double standards practiced by many here when they post. I'd also rather a thread meant as a tribute stay that way.. (even though I made the mistake of saying Eric Clapton was boring in the Clapton is God Thread.).. JFK's tribute on the 50th anniversary of his tragic death turned into a mess too.

But you know what? ledzeppelin.com is an International forum with many different Nations, Religious beliefs and views represented.

This is what we will get and will continue to get.. I don't know what else to say..

Rest in Peace Mr Mandela.

Clapton is God

The SAJ reply is his "revenge" for being forbidden to hijack this thread.

Very mature, he is a true victim.

Thanx for your RIP, I respect your decency.

Archived