Robert Plant Performing Live in 2014

SteveAJones

I hope it raises a lot of money to help.

British stars gather to record Band Aid single for Ebola

LONDON Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:52pm IST

(Reuters) - Boy band One Direction and U2 lead singer Bono joined some of the biggest names in British pop and rock music on Saturday to record a new version of the Band Aid charity song to raise money to combat Ebola in Africa.

The single, "Do They Know It's Christmas?", was first recorded 30 years ago after musician and philanthropist Bob Geldof inspired a host of stars to come together under the Band Aid name to help those affected by famine in Ethiopia.

The song has been given a makeover, with words to the original version which he co-wrote with Midge Ure changed to reflect the current crisis.

"The record, it's a song, it's a track but it's an event, and the next stage now is to turn it into a phenomenon like it was in the 80s," Geldof told BBC TV as he arrived at a recording studio in west London.

He said he had spoken to British finance minister George Osborne who had agreed to forego the usual tax owed to the government from sales of the record.

"It very much reminds me of 30 years ago. Everyone's bleary, pop singers, as George Osborne said, are not very good in the morning," said Geldof, who was frontman for Irish new wave band The Boomtown Rats.

The original song from 1984, which raised 8 million pounds ($11 million), featured some of the era's biggest acts including U2's Bono, George Michael and David Bowie. It has been re-recorded twice in 1989 and 2004.

Bono will be joined this time by Robert Plant, frontman of rock band Led Zeppelin, Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin and singers Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith.

"It's huge to be involved," Niall Horan from One Direction told the BBC. "Hopefully it goes to number one and raises a lot of money for a really worthy cause."

Geldof earlier this week he decided to remake the single after the United Nations contacted him, saying help was urgently needed to prevent the disease from spreading beyond West Africa.

Ebola has killed more than 5,000 people since it broke out in West Africa earlier this year according to the World Health Organization, mostly in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

(Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Louise Heavens)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/15/us-health-ebola-geldof-idUSKCN0IZ0GY20141115

http://in.reuters.com/video/2014/11/17/can-new-band-aid-song-heal-ebola?videoId=347523732

Thanks for the pics, Pilot!

It's great that Robert's involved with the single to raise funds to help combat Ebola. When you can use your fame towards something positive, it's a win-win.

It must also be frustrating at times to not be anonymous, though. I imagine maybe Robert just wanted to be a guy visiting a friend's kid in the rehab hospital, but as it turns out, it was also an opportunity to raise awareness about the amazing work that doctors and therapists do at rehab hospitals in general, and Goole Neuro Rehab in particular.

We had a family experience in which one member received excellent care at St. John's Rehab Hospital. Nurturing facility with caring experts that helps bring people back to living full lives.

Blessings to Jacob for a full recovery.

Robert Plant shows he's still got a Whole Lotta Love for music with classy display

Robert+Plant.JPG

Robert Plant returned to the Ulster Hall last night with his new band

BY CHRIS JONES – 24 NOVEMBER 2014

Forty-three years - that's how long it has been since Led Zeppelin performed Stairway To Heaven for the first time, here in the Ulster Hall.

After all that time, here was Robert Plant back on that same stage. His signature mane was tamed in a bun and his face heavily bearded, but there was no mistaking one of the great voices in rock and roll, even if he did occasionally sound all of his 65 years.

Not that age appears to bother him - his wry comment that he is trying to show that "there's something new coming around the corner, even from someone who gets heating allowance" was proof of that.

Plant and the Ulster Hall may have an illustrious history together, but last night's show was no nostalgia trip. Still doggedly refusing to get Led Zeppelin back together, much to his bandmates' dismay (they reportedly went so far as to consider alternative singers to Plant, including Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, before the project was mercifully abandoned), Plant was here with his latest backing band The Sensational Shape Shifters to promote current album Lullaby And...The Ceaseless Roar, which was released in September. It's the latest in a series of very well received Plant albums over the past decade, following the Grammy-winning Raising Sand with Alison Krauss and 2010's Band Of Joy.

It would be easy for Plant to settle into complacent irrelevance, or to retire altogether, but his recent work is that of a man still consumed by the creative muse, drawing on blues, Americana, West African traditional music and electronica. Thus his band includes Juldeh Camara, a player of the single-string riti instrument from Senegal and The Gambia.

It all made for an intoxicating sonic stew in a set that included a bit of everything - a goodly portion of the latest album, a smattering of songs from Plant's solo career, some blues standards and - yes - a couple of Led Zeppelin classics though, sadly, no Stairway. Going To California was as delicate and mystical as the recorded version, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Rock and Roll and especially Whole Lotta Love really ripped and elicited a response bordering on hysterical from the capacity crowd.

New songs too were given a makeover, most notably an electrifying Turn It Up, its heavy guitar grooves drawn out for maximum effect while recent single Rainbow was plaintive and lovely.

Throughout Plant was an engaging host, sparring with the crowd and strutting around the stage in time honoured fashion -just like he must have done on the same stage 43 years ago.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/robert-plant-shows-hes-still-got-a-whole-lotta-love-for-music-with-classy-display-30768282.html

^ Thanks again, Deb! Great videos, although with the second one, if you get motion sickness, I'd look away about half way through hahaha! Honestly people, just nice and steady does the trick. We're not looking for the Monty Python experience. Back to the show: band's in fine form, and who says Robert can't hit the high notes?

Embrace another fall from Wolverhampton. Shot by yours truly.

http://youtu.be/cNdz578_hj4?list=UUF8CEzTHF8wRKzcN7uL8_EA

ledded1, amazing seats, yeah? I mean this as the ultimate compliment, but I hate you ever so slightly just now :D EAF is a great song, and is very dynamic live, too.

By the way, I checked out some of your other castle/scenic views videos. Keep those up, especially of the castles. I have very fond memories of visiting Caernarfon Castle (stayed in Betws-y-Coed and explored the area) among many others.

p.s. Is that as bad as it gets in the winter? Even though last winter broke me (I'm not ashamed to say I cried a couple of times - it did last six months and some days dropped to -42C) I wouldn't change living in a place with all the seasons for anything. I love all the seasons, and the changes within them, winter included.

Thanks for sharing :)

Awesome pics, ledded1! :thumbsup:

Here's another rave review from the Llandudno show:

Review: Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters, Venue Cymru, Llandudno

Nov. 28, 2014 16:30

Ben Thornley on why Robert Plant's Whole Lotta Love for Life with The Sensational Shapeshifters is bad news for a Led Zeppelin reunion

Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters @Venue Cymru, Llandudno
JS45835445.jpg
Robert Plant performs on stage

For anyone wondering why Robert Plant refuses to entertain a Led Zeppelin reunion, the answer was evident during a mesmerising two-hour set at Llandudno’s Venue Cymru on Thursday night:He’s having too much of a ball doing his own thing.

His own thing is reimagining blues and folk standards, ably assisted by the latest incarnation of his talented world music-inspired backing band the Sensational Shape Shifters.

That is in essence what Zeppelin did of course – and there were plenty of offerings from their back catalogue here, which Plant also lovingly referred to as folk songs.

While blues classics like Willie Dixon’s Spoonful and Bukka White’s Fixin’ To Die – a staple from Plant’s setlists over the last decade or so – were given a vast makeover with heavy guitar lines and electronic back beats, the renditions of Zep classics were faithful, for the most part.

But then songs like the eastern sounding Friends, which opened the set, the folksy Going To California (or Going to Ceredigion as the Birmingham-born frontman sang in the opening verse), slotted seamlessley into Plant’s latest sound in their original form.

JS45835448.jpg

Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters wowed the North Wales audience

What Is And What Should Never Be, a flamenco inflected performance of Zeppelin’s version of Babe I’m Gonna Leave You and Whole Lotta Love all proved to be standout moments.

It’s a tribute to the song writing of Jimmy Page and Plant as well as the playing of the Sensational Shape Shifters that songs penned 55 years ago sounded fresher than ever.

Only the closing number, Led Zeppelin IV’s Rock ‘n Roll, was given a significant reworking, with the electronic pulses of keyboardsist John Baggott and the droning guitars of Liam “Skin” Tyson (formerly of Cast) and Justin Adams replacing the Chuck Berry-inspired shuffle of the original.

In place of Jimmy Page’s memorable guitar break, Juldeh Camara provided a solo on a Riti (a west African fiddle – I had to Google it). That was a theme throughout the night – little lead guitar work, plenty of African fiddle.

Plantpic.jpg
Robert Plant at Venue Cymru @johnwaterlane

It could have felt juxtaposed but somehow it worked and Camara was possibly the only person in the building having more fun than Plant.

At 66-years-old, he might be more silver than the “golden god” he proclaimed himself to be at the height of Zeppelin’s fame in the 1970s, but Plant remains as captivating and charismatic as ever.

Songs like Turn It Up, Little Maggie and Rainbow from his latest album, Lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar, were almost as well received by the sell-out crowd, due in no small part to his obvious enthusiasm for his current work.

Bad news for those awaiting a Zeppelin comeback.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/review-robert-plant-sensational-shapeshifters-8195413

A couple of clothing-related thoughts: Are they implying with the photos that Robert had a wardrobe change at some point in the show? :huh: And not for nothing, but I love that flowery shirt. A nice change. Too many of those cowboy shirts in various colours.

And hey, Deb! :wave:

Awesome pics, ledded1! :thumbsup:

Here's another rave review from the Llandudno show:

Review: Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters, Venue Cymru, Llandudno

Nov. 28, 2014 16:30

Ben Thornley on why Robert Plant's Whole Lotta Love for Life with The Sensational Shapeshifters is bad news for a Led Zeppelin reunion

Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters @Venue Cymru, Llandudno
JS45835445.jpg
Robert Plant performs on stage

For anyone wondering why Robert Plant refuses to entertain a Led Zeppelin reunion, the answer was evident during a mesmerising two-hour set at Llandudno’s Venue Cymru on Thursday night:He’s having too much of a ball doing his own thing.

His own thing is reimagining blues and folk standards, ably assisted by the latest incarnation of his talented world music-inspired backing band the Sensational Shape Shifters.

That is in essence what Zeppelin did of course – and there were plenty of offerings from their back catalogue here, which Plant also lovingly referred to as folk songs.

While blues classics like Willie Dixon’s Spoonful and Bukka White’s Fixin’ To Die – a staple from Plant’s setlists over the last decade or so – were given a vast makeover with heavy guitar lines and electronic back beats, the renditions of Zep classics were faithful, for the most part.

But then songs like the eastern sounding Friends, which opened the set, the folksy Going To California (or Going to Ceredigion as the Birmingham-born frontman sang in the opening verse), slotted seamlessley into Plant’s latest sound in their original form.

JS45835448.jpg

Robert Plant and the Sensational Shapeshifters wowed the North Wales audience

What Is And What Should Never Be, a flamenco inflected performance of Zeppelin’s version of Babe I’m Gonna Leave You and Whole Lotta Love all proved to be standout moments.

It’s a tribute to the song writing of Jimmy Page and Plant as well as the playing of the Sensational Shape Shifters that songs penned 55 years ago sounded fresher than ever.

Only the closing number, Led Zeppelin IV’s Rock ‘n Roll, was given a significant reworking, with the electronic pulses of keyboardsist John Baggott and the droning guitars of Liam “Skin” Tyson (formerly of Cast) and Justin Adams replacing the Chuck Berry-inspired shuffle of the original.

In place of Jimmy Page’s memorable guitar break, Juldeh Camara provided a solo on a Riti (a west African fiddle – I had to Google it). That was a theme throughout the night – little lead guitar work, plenty of African fiddle.

Plantpic.jpg
Robert Plant at Venue Cymru @johnwaterlane

It could have felt juxtaposed but somehow it worked and Camara was possibly the only person in the building having more fun than Plant.

At 66-years-old, he might be more silver than the “golden god” he proclaimed himself to be at the height of Zeppelin’s fame in the 1970s, but Plant remains as captivating and charismatic as ever.

Songs like Turn It Up, Little Maggie and Rainbow from his latest album, Lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar, were almost as well received by the sell-out crowd, due in no small part to his obvious enthusiasm for his current work.

Bad news for those awaiting a Zeppelin comeback.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/review-robert-plant-sensational-shapeshifters-8195413

A couple of clothing-related thoughts: Are they implying with the photos that Robert had a wardrobe change at some point in the show? :huh: And not for nothing, but I love that flowery shirt. A nice change. Too many of those cowboy shirts in various colours.

And hey, Deb! :wave:

he didn't wear the flortal shirt in Llandudno, they have used a different shows photo in th headline.

^^Nice ledded! I wished some of us lived near each other and could attend these concerts together:-)

Hi Patrycja, thanks for the article. Love this beautiful song:-)

Robert Plant Sensational Space Shifters - A Stolen Kiss - Llandudno 2014

I never post to bash RP but I have to say His current live version of "Nobody's fault but mine" would put me to sleep, way to slow for my taste. I understand he likes to keep reinventing himself and his music, but like the old saying goes " if it ain't broke don't fix it" IMO of course.

^^Hi RolandDeshain!

Your post was not at all bashing IMHO:-) It is just your taste. I like it because it feels stripped down and I also loved it when Page & Plant slowed it down:-) Of course I love the original version they did, but the slowed down version is more like the actual original Blind Willie Johnson:-) :peace:

^^Hi RolandDeshain!

Your post was not at all bashing IMHO:-) It is just your taste. I like it because it feels stripped down and I also loved it when Page & Plant slowed it down:-) Of course I love the original version they did, but the slowed down version is more like the actual original Blind Willie Johnson:-) :peace:

When Robert did this version when I say him back in September in Portchester, all I could think about was the Unledded version and bringing back great memories of Robert and Jimmy doing it on tour back in the 90's. It gave me such a warm feeling hearing this.

• 1 month later...

I'm always amazed by the loyalty and enthusiasm of his German fans.

Hello Steve!

You take already all the german concerts on DVD from Roger? Today I have seen the Berlin (I was there) and Dresden concert DVD, and both are fantastic!!!

I wish you a lot of fun! Enjoy! :stereo:

Archived