Physical Graffiti pre-release Radio Interview?

DaveCarrera4S

I remember setting up an old Wollensak reel to reel with the mic pointed at some odd speakers of one of my first stereo sets to record a 1975ish interview of Robert and Jimmy promoting PG. I believe it may have been from Concerts West or similar. Anyhow, I listened to it a thousand times...they had remixed the songs, and for instance In the Light exploded into Kashmir, and it rocked so hard. I remember Robert enunciating Bron Yr Aur (he claimed Welsh for Golden Breasts). But that is about all I remember. Anyone remember that interview, or by any chance have a recorded copy? I've been searching for years...

TIA,

DC4S

I remember setting up an old Wollensak reel to reel with the mic pointed at some odd speakers of one of my first stereo sets to record a 1975ish interview of Robert and Jimmy promoting PG. I believe it may have been from Concerts West or similar. Anyhow, I listened to it a thousand times...they had remixed the songs, and for instance In the Light exploded into Kashmir, and it rocked so hard. I remember Robert enunciating Bron Yr Aur (he claimed Welsh for Golden Breasts). But that is about all I remember. Anyone remember that interview, or by any chance have a recorded copy? I've been searching for years...

TIA,

DC4S

The "enunciation reference" seals the deal on the source for this one:

It's a 1975 radio interview of Page & Plant conducted by Jim Ladd in Los Angeles. I have it and will create a link to it.

I have one that sounds pretty similar to your description... Does the one you mean include a fair amount of cheesy mysterious-spaceship sounds + robot-like narrator?

Earth News

Your reference to cheesy mysterious spaceship sounds and a robot-like narrator is the Earth News interview with Robert Plant & John Bonham to promote the release of Presence. It originally aired the week of June 7, 1976 and was produced by Westwood One. The original release is depicted below:

StevesCamera2101.jpg

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Oh, please tell me that someone has this :smiley_pray:

I've never heard of this before, and definitely haven't heard of a recorded copy. You don't still have that reel, do you?

I'm pleased to confirm I do have it and intend to make the interview available in it's entirety later this week after I finish working on it:

Hey Steve, just checking back. Any progress?

It's Monday, 1 A.M. in Tokyo. There was some progress over the weekend...I've confirmed the last 20 seconds or so of the source I have is either cut or un-salvageable. However, it seems it's only the radio announcer's concluding comments about the program -- the interview itself is complete. This being the case, I anticipate having it uploaded here tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday. I appreciate your patience.

Recording took me 34 years to acquire, a week to put together......all commercials edited out of original 90 min program...enjoy!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I look forward to hearing it and saving. :)

Recording took me 34 years to acquire, a week to put together......all commercials edited out of original 90 min program...enjoy!

STEVE ! you .....YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ! i just shake my head !

thanks for all your hard work !

AND MOSTLY = for your kindness AND sharing !

Thanks for the upload Steve, really enjoyed this. A very long time since I had heard this!

I loved about 13 minutes in about the telegraph from Grant, and Terry Reid says your alright..Then to hear the reaction to them selling 500 albums an hour, Jimmy talking about the energy they put in the shows, physically expressing the music on stage (and they did).

JJ talking about the late 60's music and how Led Zeppelin was quality (and it was/is).

What it was like to be around when the songs were new. Did they realize the impact on us the fans, the audience, Jimmy talking about how the songs evolved, stretched! (they did). How we arrived at such a high emotional state going to attend their concerts. (we did). They were such magnificent creatures on stage. I will stand by Stairway as the masterpiece and God knows I love everything about the music this band has created, but listening to this interview and thinking about hearing it live when it was so fresh was amazing IMHO:-)

Going to Bron Yr Aur and how tranquil it was and what that helped them to create. ( Changed direction completely and was awesome!)

Roberts love for Kashmir...

How important the album covers were to them. (and it has proved justified). Jimmy talking about if one member was not at their peak (sick or broken fingers) the other three were there to bring the music on because the unit was so strong. ( it was).

Great listen, great memories and thanks again for sharing with us :thumbsup:

SAJ, thank you for your time and effort tor this wonderful gift, on Legendary JPJ, and JP Birthday...I remain indebted for your dedication...

. Never thought about that, but how appropriate! My birthday is Sunday, so this is a great gift. Thanks again Steve!

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of interviews,here are a few that have recently appeared;

Robert & Jimmy Seattle 69
http://www.mixcloud.com/fsmith9095/plant-page-seattle-69/

Robert Ottawa 70
http://www.mixcloud.com/fsmith9095/robert-ottawa-70/

Robert Wolfman Jack 1975
http://www.mixcloud.com/fsmith9095/wolfman-robert-1975/

Robert Wolfman Jack 1972
http://www.mixcloud.com/fsmith9095/robert-plant/

The "enunciation reference" seals the deal on the source for this one:

It's a 1975 radio interview of Page & Plant conducted by Jim Ladd in Los Angeles. I have it and will create a link to it.

Earth News

Your reference to cheesy mysterious spaceship sounds and a robot-like narrator is the Earth News interview with Robert Plant & John Bonham to promote the release of Presence. It originally aired the week of June 7, 1976 and was produced by Westwood One. The original release is depicted below:

StevesCamera2101.jpg

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Awesome and thanks very much for the info, SteveAJones. I remember listening to the whole interview on loop while riding a shit bus for 10 hours...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those interviews everyone. I found that plant 70 interview interesting, where he sites influences of country blues singers...way back in 1970. Also, how they foresaw jpj being on keyboards more and more....and to think that was running up to the 80s. But I would think that they would've used that sound they got with, wearing n tearing, darlene, ozone baby quite a bit...that was a very cool new band sound for them.

Archived