What is the difference between definitive colletion and The complete studio recordings.

chapita

For my money complete studio recordings has superior packaging nicer more original artwork

and can be picked up cheaper.I have both and its my default setting when i listen to Zeppelin on cd

I agree. its hard not to feel that the Definitive Collection was more of a cash grab than anything else. The Complete Studio Recordings is a wonderful set. I've had it since it came out, but I bought it on Indigo / Chapters for my wife this Christmas, for $96 shipped to my door. She loves it, and well, you know.....happy wife, happy life, and all that.

I agree. its hard not to feel that the Definitive Collection was more of a cash grab than anything else. The Complete Studio Recordings is a wonderful set. I've had it since it came out, but I bought it on Indigo / Chapters for my wife this Christmas, for $96 shipped to my door. She loves it, and well, you know.....happy wife, happy life, and all that.

Which has more sound quality ?

This is the "Cube" set, the box it comes in is cube shaped

14366_led_zeppelin_the_complete_studio_r

Both have the same mastering, the Page/Marino remasters of the 90s. Some people claim that one sounds better than the other, I can't tell the difference. What it comes down to is which packaging you like better.

This is the "Cube" set, the box it comes in is cube shaped

14366_led_zeppelin_the_complete_studio_r

Both have the same mastering, the Page/Marino remasters of the 90s. Some people claim that one sounds better than the other, I can't tell the difference. What it comes down to is which packaging you like better.

I nave that but in the box format .

• 4 months later...

Please be gentle, I'm a newb here...

Are all 4 of the following CD collections from exactly the same source material?

1. The Complete Studio Recordings
  2. The Definitive Collection (mini LP CDs)
  3. Box Set
  4. Box Set 2

Thanks!

Are all 4 of the following CD collections from exactly the same source material?

3. Box Set

4. Box Set 2

Thanks!

Yes.

Cube set for the Coda tracks

As previously noted, the Coda from both the Complete Studio Recordings and The Definitive Collection have the same bonus tracks included. Because the Definitive Collection reproduces the original album artwork and packaging, people see the back cover of Coda and assume it's just the 8 tracks but it is not.

For my money, while the sound was the smae for box sets, The Definitive Collection was superior to the earlier box for several reasons. It included The Song Remains the Same, so you got all the 10 releases Led Zeppelin put out in the 1969-1982 time frame. The mini vinyl replica packaging is more fun and accurate than the boring industrial grey slipcases of the Complete Studio Recordings set. I hated that they paired the albums in twos, so that "Presence" was anachronistically packaged with "Houses of the Holy". Plus, you got ALL 6 different covers for ITTOD and the original turquoise lettering cover for Led Zeppelin I along with the orange lettering one. And of course, Led Zeppelin III has the spinning wheel...you don't get that in the cube box set.

3. Box Set

4. Box Set 2

Thanks!

Yes, however one complaint about the Boxed Set (1990) is that the ending fade comes in earlier on some of the songs than it does on the original vinyl and cd releases. Unsure if that still held true on the other releases.

Archived