ITTOD - Why is this the most disliked album of Led Zeppelin?

IzzyBlues

Ingenuity, you mean breaking the seal on a new album? How very clever. Although it's not something I would recommend. I care how I got my albums as I'm sure a great many other members of this site do as well.I bought ALL of mine new,not as an afterthought.

Well, you are clearly a very special person. I defer to your record buying abilities, and your ability to see Led Zeppelin in concert 4 times. And no, there was no need to break any seals, when I bought mine NEW on release day.

Ingenuity, you mean breaking the seal on a new album? How very clever. Although it's not something I would recommend. I care how I got my albums as I'm sure a great many other members of this site do as well.I bought ALL of mine new,not as an afterthought.

No, you cold just read the info on the spine of the album cover. Each picture had a diff letter assigned to it, so on the spine you might see "SS 76453 A". SS for Swan Song, the numbers for the release # assigned to the album, and A thru F designated what the cover was.

:notworthy:

To anybody who has ITTOD, I don't know about The Dark Lords copy but my copy is in a brown wrapper, and shrink wrapped. The only thing you can see on the spine is well.........THE BROWN WRAPPER. The only other clue is on the back of the wrapper which states "SSK59410 @1979 A SWAN SONG RECORDING, DISTRIBUTED BY WEA RECORDS LIMITED" and of course above this the track listing. The only way to get at the spine to have a look at what is inside is to deface the wrapping , therefore he must have cut through the shrink wrap and the brown paper covering in order to see what was written on the spine, and if he has all six covers, how many album covers did he deface before he got all six. It's not really something to be proud of is it. So some poor unsuspecting soul goes into the record store picks up what he thinks is a sealed copy of ITTOD and gets home to find out that some dickhead has sliced down the spine. Wow!!!!. bully for The Dark Lord.By the way did I mention that I have seen Le........Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!

A few years ago I bought a complete sealed set; I will have to post a pic but you can tell all are different without having to see the letter. I also bought this new when it first came out and it was years later before I realized there were different covers (and years after that when I heard about the watercolor inner sleeve).

I bought all 6 at a record shop in Boston which shall remain nameless, ( :mad: @$#%%) The weren't sealed but are in near to mint condition. There's something about having all 6 covers, don't know what it is but I'm glad I have them.

I have to echo everyone who has said, they remember dropping the needle on, in the evening. I was collecting the records in the mid to late 80s, in sort of chronological order, started with the 4th record. In the evening, is not a wll, immigrant song, or black dog...but is right there with gtbt and custard pie, with long term listening. Still enjoy pages guitar string effect, breaking through the tape, through the speakers and chopping the air waves.

One of robert plants great vocals is south bound suarez. It's songs like this, hey hey what can I do, misty mountain hop, night flight, where its plants singing that is taking the song to another level.

Fool in the rain has a fun riff, reminds me of the ocean as far as fun riffs go...and you have bonham bringing the band back from brazil with that drum roll.

With I'm gonna crawl, maybe it's not as epic as sibly and tea for one, but it's just as intense.

There are no crushingly heavy songs on this record, but there is a refined heaviness.

One of my most anticipated alternate take songs, on the upcoming re releases, is carouselambra. I'm curious to see if jpj had any other choices of synth for that one. Although the synth finally grew on me. Had no idea what the lyrics in second section was about for many years, only knew it was the sad section of the song. Interesting that with the medieval images of armor and a journey, that you knew there was emotion being conveyed there, without having any idea that it was about they're friendship.

As the years go by, there is always rediscovery with listening to all the records. The re releases are gonna be a journey.

To anybody who has ITTOD, I don't know about The Dark Lords copy but my copy is in a brown wrapper, and shrink wrapped. The only thing you can see on the spine is well.........THE BROWN WRAPPER. The only other clue is on the back of the wrapper which states "SSK59410 @1979 A SWAN SONG RECORDING, DISTRIBUTED BY WEA RECORDS LIMITED" and of course above this the track listing. The only way to get at the spine to have a look at what is inside is to deface the wrapping , therefore he must have cut through the shrink wrap and the brown paper covering in order to see what was written on the spine, and if he has all six covers, how many album covers did he deface before he got all six. It's not really something to be proud of is it. So some poor unsuspecting soul goes into the record store picks up what he thinks is a sealed copy of ITTOD and gets home to find out that some dickhead has sliced down the spine. Wow!!!!. bully for The Dark Lord.By the way did I mention that I have seen Le........Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!

Why is this so hard for you to understand? As In The Evening said, and as I said before, but you clearly could not comprehend, there was no need to open anything. The letter code was written on the top of the spine in Canada, and these were wrapped fairly loosely in their shrink. One could easily get a look at the letter code without defacing anything. I let this stupid discussion die, but you decided to bring it back for a reprise. You promised to ignore my posts, and I would be honored if you could consider being a man of your word. Remember, you are the one casting aspersions here, "superfan", and really demonstrating what you are all about.

I have to echo everyone who has said, they remember dropping the needle on, in the evening. I was collecting the records in the mid to late 80s, in sort of chronological order, started with the 4th record. In the evening, is not a wll, immigrant song, or black dog...but is right there with gtbt and custard pie, with long term listening. Still enjoy pages guitar string effect, breaking through the tape, through the speakers and chopping the air waves.

One of robert plants great vocals is south bound suarez. It's songs like this, hey hey what can I do, misty mountain hop, night flight, where its plants singing that is taking the song to another level.

Fool in the rain has a fun riff, reminds me of the ocean as far as fun riffs go...and you have bonham bringing the band back from brazil with that drum roll.

With I'm gonna crawl, maybe it's not as epic as sibly and tea for one, but it's just as intense.

There are no crushingly heavy songs on this record, but there is a refined heaviness.

One of my most anticipated alternate take songs, on the upcoming re releases, is carouselambra. I'm curious to see if jpj had any other choices of synth for that one. Although the synth finally grew on me. Had no idea what the lyrics in second section was about for many years, only knew it was the sad section of the song. Interesting that with the medieval images of armor and a journey, that you knew there was emotion being conveyed there, without having any idea that it was about they're friendship.

As the years go by, there is always rediscovery with listening to all the records. The re releases are gonna be a journey.

Well said. An alternate version of Carouselambra would be amazing.

Cool. I can't understand all the hate for Carouselambra. It is absolutely brilliant. ....

{chopped to save bandwidth}

I have never been a Carouselambra fan, but last night I went back and took a relisten. Here's what I hear:

Jonesy of course dominates with the keyboards.

Most of Page's guitar work is brilliant, fits in very well. Very "splashy ringy" sounding in some parts.

Plant's vocals are OK, sometimes mixed too far back.

In some parts, Bonzo's drumming is almost "easy listening".

I think this song could have been KILLER if Bonzo LAID INTO the drums something HEAVY!! What a diff twist that could have been!!!

that being said, I def appreciate the song more now than I did before I revisited it.

I have never been a Carouselambra fan, but last night I went back and took a relisten. Here's what I hear:

Jonesy of course dominates with the keyboards.

Most of Page's guitar work is brilliant, fits in very well. Very "splashy ringy" sounding in some parts.

Plant's vocals are OK, sometimes mixed too far back.

In some parts, Bonzo's drumming is almost "easy listening".

I think this song could have been KILLER if Bonzo LAID INTO the drums something HEAVY!! What a diff twist that could have been!!!

that being said, I def appreciate the song more now than I did before I revisited it.

Great comment! And I alluded to that in my post too. Bonzo was good, but he was also in "glide mode"', and could have beefed it up a bit. This is the type of song a person should concentrate on, and visualize, because it is very special in so many ways. Cheers

This is my first post here, but have been following this forum for years. "In the Evening" is one of my all time fav Zepp songs so ITTOD is in my top 3 LZ albums. I guess I would say Hot Dog is pure cheese other than that I think its a great album

Hot Dog, IMHO, is either a huge bow to Elvis, or a huge bow to country music. Either way, it's pretty cool.

Hot Dog, IMHO, is either a huge bow to Elvis, or a huge bow to country music. Either way, it's pretty cool.

I think it's a fun little ditty, and I really enjoy it. It's in the same vein as Royal Orleans, Living Loving Maid, and the Crunge. Not to be taken too seriously, and intended to bring a little levity to the proceedings.

This is my first post here, but have been following this forum for years. "In the Evening" is one of my all time fav Zepp songs so ITTOD is in my top 3 LZ albums. I guess I would say Hot Dog is pure cheese other than that I think its a great album

I am not really into Rock-a-Billy either but as an example it shows that Zeppelin could play any style and play it correctly. For my money another example only played Zeppelin style is Boogie with Stu.

Why's everybody bashing Hot Dog. What the hell, really? It's just a song... I like it, it's fun and it didn't take too much time to make.

I heard they did the song while rehearsing for the ITTOD sessions. It was supposed to be a 50's tribute.

I think there isn't a song in the whole Zeppelin catalogue that I dislike. I think that the only thing that kept the music together during

Jimmy's drug experiments was Bonzos drumming. Jones was always consistent, I can't remember a single night were he was off.

Plant was getting his voice back in 79/80, and them Bonzo passed away. I think that this album would have been a turn point in

Zeppelins music, considering what Page and Plant did in the 80's, the next album would have been really interesting.

The album has some AMAZING songs, and it's probably one of my favorite albums of Zeppelin's next to III.

In The Evening, Fool In The Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl are the standout songs on the album. Carouselambra is debatable however I really like the song. All My Love is probably the weakest song with South Bound Saurez and Hot Dog virtually untalked of, although good songs in their own right.

I thought that album was a step in the right direction for them as a band, but I never understood the critisicm for the album because it has some of the most underrated songs on them (mainly I'm Gonna Crawl). It's almost as if the band members were ashamed of putting out the album because they never really gave it any reception.

Of course this is just my opinion and all. My brother who was the one who got me into Led Zeppelin in the first place told me he "hated" ITTOD, I couldn't really understand why.

Could someone shed some light on why this album is the least loved / most criticized of Led Zeppelin's catalogue?

I never hear that this was the least loved album? Maybe 2nd to Coda (which to me does not count). But how can you compare this album to IV or II or Houses of the Holy or PG? I mean, come on. Those other albums were so great. To me Fool in the Rain is the best song on this album. I love the solo in it. But the first 6 albums are untouchable. With IV, II and PG being the best.

ITTOD is often cited by the self-proclaimed, ever faithful as a lesser album in comparison to the previous studio albums. The weight of the argument is relative to what is cited as the basis for their position. Presence and ITTOD, objectively and most obviously embodied their stated band ethos about an album being a snapshot of where they were collectively at a given point in time; these just happen to be pretty difficult points for each of them for all the well known reasons. I believe that with the exception of Mr. Page, the rest of the lads could summon their contribution to what made them special during the ITTOD sessions at will. However, with the possible exception of Hot Dog, all of the remaining tracks have that uniquely Pagian contribution that weaves throughout all of their collective studio work, namely NOT overplaying or making obvious choices. His phrasing particularly on AML (a tune he claimed NOT to care for!!!) and Carouselambra still stun me 30 years on. Give those ghost tracks to ANY other guitar player there is an awfully good chance that they would be either wanking away at a thousand notes a second or playing bland barre chords like a bad midi track...

I never hear that this was the least loved album? Maybe 2nd to Coda (which to me does not count). But how can you compare this album to IV or II or Houses of the Holy or PG? I mean, come on. Those other albums were so great. To me Fool in the Rain is the best song on this album. I love the solo in it. But the first 6 albums are untouchable. With IV, II and PG being the best.

I think ITTOD competes with the albums you listed. Apart from the fact that it was brighter and more polished, it really is incredible. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at this effort, and it is the type of album best listened to carefully, and with a view to understanding what is going on in the mix. Robert's new voice; Page's new guitar and approach; Jones' synth orchestrations, and all the texture in these songs. People say that Page was absent on this album, but that is not true. Listen to his amazing layering and sustain on Carouselambra, or his textured acoustic guitar during the solo segment of All My Love, or at the end of Fool in the Rain. His ambience filled solo and intro to In the Evening, or his fuzz tone solo on Fool in the Rain. All stunning. The personal stories that fill the lyrics of Carouselambra, All my Love, and I'm Gonna Crawl. Everything is amazing about this album, and I have to say that my appreciation for this disc came when I studied what I was hearing as opposed to just feeling it. Even the prog nature of Carouselambra is breathtaking when you think about how challenging it must have been to integrate the three main movements of the track. I said this once before, this album was as significant to Zeppelin as 90125 was to Yes. Like it or not, it signified a new age, new abilities, and a new Zeppelin entering a new decade. I believe this to be one of their most significant albums, because it was a do or die moment in their troubled history, and they most certainly showed us that they were not redundant. I encourage everyone to listen to and concentrate on the music when they spin this disc. Anyone with ears should find it impressive. It truly is a special album, and symbolic of a Zeppelin Renaissance.

• 1 month later...

In Through The Out Door will always be special for me because it contains the only Led Zeppelin songs that I can recall hearing at the time they were actually released. I was only 8 years old in 1979 but I can remember hearing All My Love and Fool in the Rain on the radio back then. I think that I even recorded the songs from a old radio onto a cassette tape in my earliest experimentation with audio equipment. Granted, at 8 years old, I didn't know a Led Zeppelin from a Yellow Submarine but I do know that I heard something special in those songs. For what it's worth, I also remember liking Another Brick in the Wall, London Calling and My Sharona. (I was a pretty hip 8 year old, if I do say so myself, especially considering that my parents were listening to ABBA, Donna Summer and Engelbert Humperdinck in the late 70's.)

I was in high school c.1986 before I really started exploring Led Zeppelin's full catalog. I may have even been surprised during my first full listen to ITTOD to find out that those were the same songs that I remembered from my grade school days. When I listen to the album now through more experienced and discriminating ears, I think that most of it holds up pretty well to their older material. I don't find South Bound Saurez or Hot Dog to be particularly strong tracks but the rest of ITTOD features some pretty damn good music. I'm really anticipating the remastered version of In The Evening because I think that it can be made to sound so much better. Fool in the Rain has some of Robert's most melodic singing and Bonham's drumming is off the charts. Carouselambra is probably JPJ's crowning achievement of orchestration in the band. Jimmy's guitar work on I'm Gonna Crawl is so expressive and the song itself is very atmospheric.

And All My Love...well, it might be Led Zeppelin's swan song but for a very youthful version of me, it was the first Led Zeppelin song. To bring the story full circle, All My Love was one of the first songs played at my wedding. I don't know if ITTOD is one of Led Zeppelin's best albums or worst albums but it does bring back some memories every time I listen to it..

Archived