Jimmy Page's Surgery during Outrider Tour

Ktn

I understand that JP had to undergo surgery for a twisted colon. When was this? If it was done during the Outrider tour with only a small delay in touring, then I would have to say that his ability to recover so fast is remarkable. Any kind of abdominal surgery can be rough to say the least.

The abdominal surgery was performed during the week of Aug 21-25, 1988. Impact on the tour was cancellation of what would have been the opening night at the Sun Dome in Tampa, FL on Aug 31, 1988 and postponement of the Miami Arena date set from Sept 2 to Sept 8.

He departed London for Atlanta on Aug 31; the tour opened at The Omni in Atlanta on Sept 8 (after three days of rehearsal at the venue).

Just been listening to a recording from the concert on 26 Nov 1988 at the Manchester Apollo, (I was there) - an incredible concert with probably the best playing Page did since 1973. I'm trying to digitize

from tape to the computer at the moment. a bit of a coincidence that some one was discussing the tour whist I was listening to it.

Gaza

Just been listening to a recording from the concert on 26 Nov 1988 at the Manchester Apollo, (I was there) - an incredible concert with probably the best playing Page did since 1973. I'm trying to digitize from tape to the computer at the moment. a bit of a coincidence that some one was discussing the tour whist I was listening to it.

Gaza

I opened a box of front row photos from that gig just last night. You could use them for your project. Now that's...cosmic! :wizard:

Just been listening to a recording from the concert on 26 Nov 1988 at the Manchester Apollo, (I was there) - an incredible concert with probably the best playing Page did since 1973. I'm trying to digitize

from tape to the computer at the moment. a bit of a coincidence that some one was discussing the tour whist I was listening to it.

Gaza

Hey Gaza

I was there also. There are a number of recordings from that Gig. I have 2 of them and are both great. As it was the last night of the tour JP was on fire and as he rightly mentioned at the end, us Mancs were the best audience of the whole tour. A brilliant, a brilliant show. Steve: Can you post some pics for us to see?

I work in the medical profession (physician), going on my 24th year, and I would have to say that is the fastest recovery I have heard of for that kind of procedure. To hop a trans atlantic flight about two weeks after surgery to start a high energy rock tour at his age back then (late forties, or there abouts) must have been the result of sheer will power and determination. Now that is what a true professional is all about.

That would be fantastic Steve, if I'm right Jimmy was wearing a grey shirt which turned black with perspiration as the show went on. As Chillumpuffer said He was on fire that night and as a scouser, I have to admit the crowd was fantastic - as Jimmy pointed out at the end the "best crowd of the tour". What made it all the more special for me was that after ARMS Tour, the Atlantic at 40 thing and Live Aid, the press had written off Jimmy and to be honest I was hoping it wasn't going to be a car crash. How wrong I was. There were grown men with tears in their eyes - I was one of them. It seemed that the whole crowd were like a family. In all the concerts I've been to in nearly 40 years I've not felt that before or since. It was a magical occasion which showcased the genius of the greatest guitarist the world has ever seen at the pinnacle of his ability with a crowd which genuinely loved him.

Gaz

That would be fantastic Steve, if I'm right Jimmy was wearing a grey shirt which turned black with perspiration as the show went on. As Chillumpuffer said He was on fire that night and as a scouser, I have to admit the crowd was fantastic - as Jimmy pointed out at the end the "best crowd of the tour". What made it all the more special for me was that after ARMS Tour, the Atlantic at 40 thing and Live Aid, the press had written off Jimmy and to be honest I was hoping it wasn't going to be a car crash. How wrong I was. There were grown men with tears in their eyes - I was one of them. It seemed that the whole crowd were like a family. In all the concerts I've been to in nearly 40 years I've not felt that before or since. It was a magical occasion which showcased the genius of the greatest guitarist the world has ever seen at the pinnacle of his ability with a crowd which genuinely loved him.

Gaz

Similar dynamic played out in NJ and Pittsburgh on that tour, I was at both shows. After Live Aid and with Atlantic a few months prior, an awful lot of people were figuring Jimmy had wasted his talent. What a joyful development when you went to the show and he was just amazing!

It takes so much to reach and maintain a career such as his; it is a real joy to see him or anyone else be able to overcome obstacles in order to continue and succeed. These kind of people put every part of their being into their career pretty much 24-7 everyday for years to such an extent that it is hard for the five day a week, 8 to 5 person to really understand. That is one reason why I can't stand reading or hearing critics attack these individuals.

• 9 months later...

Hey Gaza

I was there also. There are a number of recordings from that Gig. I have 2 of them and are both great. As it was the last night of the tour JP was on fire and as he rightly mentioned at the end, us Mancs were the best audience of the whole tour. A brilliant, a brilliant show. Steve: Can you post some pics for us to see?

Just saw this. I do intend to post some photos from the Manchester gig to the Outrider thread in due course.

Archived