Strider

The-Black-Angels-2014-Tour.jpg

One of the best bands around today, Austin's The Black Angels are back on tour, and this time they are touring with fellow Austinite Roky Erickson, a legend from his days with the 13th Floor Elevators, one of the first psychedelic rock bands. So if you haven't yet made it to a Black Angels show, now is a good time to do so, as they are hitting the East, Midwest and Southern parts of the U.S. and Canada this month. The tour began last night in Lawrence, Kansas and continues tonight in St. Louis, MO.

The 2014 Winter Psych Storm Tour:

Feb 01 The Firebird

St Louis, MO TICKETS RSVP

Feb 03 First Avenue

Minneapolis, MN TICKETS RSVP

Feb 04 Majestic Theatre

Madison, WI TICKETS RSVP

Feb 05 Park West

Chicago, IL TICKETS RSVP

Feb 07 Southgate House

Newport, KY TICKETS RSVP

Feb 08 Beachland Ballroom

Cleveland, OH TICKETS RSVP

Feb 09 Magic Stick

Detroit, MI TICKETS RSVP

Feb 11 Phoenix Concert Theatre

Toronto, Canada TICKETS RSVP

Feb 12 Corona Theatre

Montreal, Canada TICKETS RSVP

Feb 14 Black Cat

Washington, DC TICKETS RSVP

Feb 15 The Met

Providence, RI TICKETS RSVP

Feb 16 Union Transfer

Philadelphia, PA TICKETS RSVP

Feb 20 The Grey Eagle

Asheville, NC TICKETS RSVP

Feb 21 Mercy Lounge

Nashville, TN TICKETS RSVP

Feb 22 Terminal West

Atlanta, GA TICKETS RSVP

Feb 24 The Social

Orlando, FL TICKETS RSVP

Feb 25 Grand Central

Miami, FL TICKETS RSVP

Feb 26 State Theatre

St Petersburg, FL TICKETS RSVP

Feb 28 Fitzgerald's

Houston, TX TICKETS RSVP

Mar 01 Granada Theater

Dallas, TX TICKETS RSVP

Here's a performance of "Sniper" from last year's Austin Psych Fest:

Edited by Strider

I really don't understand why they aren't played on the radio...well, since radio sucks, I suppose that's why. As an ex-military man, I appreciate that quite a few of their songs deal with being a soldier and warfare/killing.

Young Men Dead

The First Vietnam War

Broken Soldier

The Sniper at the Gates of Heaven

Edited by Strider

Yeah these guys are sweet. I got turned onto them by Grand Theft Auto V of all things!

With you here. I had heard their music before but never knew the band name until GTA V.

Over here in Northern California there's an alternative radio station that plays them fairly frequently so I guess we have some luck there. Awesome band.

I'm sold, thanks for the tip.........in my neck of the woods in May.

I like their power......they sound like the Airplane and The Loop morphed into one.

What a coincidence...I'm listening to Loop's "Heaven's End" right now. Good ear you've got there. One of the first things I noticed about the Black Angels was how much the singer Alex Maas sounded like Grace Slick at times.

By the way, if you liked Loop, you should check out Wooden Shjips and their offshoot band Moon Duo.

I had two BA CDs in my hands at the record store yesterday, didn't end up buying either, couldn't decide. Plans are forming to see BA in a few weeks. Once again, you've found show information I may not have seen - thanks for posting Strider!

I had two BA CDs in my hands at the record store yesterday, didn't end up buying either, couldn't decide. Plans are forming to see BA in a few weeks. Once again, you've found show information I may not have seen - thanks for posting Strider!

You should have just picked one and saved the other for another time. All their records, from 2005's "Passover" to last year's "Indigo Meadow" are worthy...you cannot go wrong with any of them.

And they are terrific live! The clips on YouTube don't do their concerts justice.

I don't play video games, but some of the GTA comments above make some of the comments I see on YouTube clearer. Apparently with radio dead, it is through video games and tv shows that young bands find exposure. I keep reading comments that Black Angels or whatever band were in this or that video game. I guess the new tv show "True Detective" also featured a Black Angels song.

Whatever works, I say. The days when a band was considered a sell-out by appearing on tv or in commercials are long gone.

Video didn't kill the radio star...radio self-immolated itself.

Absolutely love these guys! It is really nice having a separate thread for them on the forums! :)

Also, if my memory serves me correct, it was you Strider who introduced them to me a while back! :wave: I seriously owe you big time! :D

Anyway, here are some of my favourite songs by "The Black Angels" :

And last but not least, the one with a 60's Garage Rock twist to it ;)

What a coincidence...I'm listening to Loop's "Heaven's End" right now. Good ear you've got there. One of the first things I noticed about the Black Angels was how much the singer Alex Maas sounded like Grace Slick at times.

By the way, if you liked Loop, you should check out Wooden Shjips and their offshoot band Moon Duo.

Heavens End is a great album........I'll have to check out Moon Duo tonight.

• 11 months later...

^^^

Nice one...I just noticed this post of yours:

I'm sold, thanks for the tip.........in my neck of the woods in May.

I like their power......they sound like the Airplane and The Loop morphed into one.

Did you make it to the May show, zepscoda? How was it?

Edited by Strider

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...