Read any good books lately?

stacilayne

Hey, Guys - thanks again for all the feedback on my collection. I am slowly but surely selling it. I started listing the books today - http://www.ebay.com/usr/15dollarsonly - I'll try and get some of the vinyl up there tonight, or tomorrow. I've already sold about half the vinyl, tee-shirts and newspaper articles and clippings. Chipping away at my massively-packed storage space! :)

I'm looking forward to getting my signed copy of 'Hellraiser' by Ginger Baker.

I'm considering reading 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand. :)

I gave away about 25 boxes of my books to the local library. Didn't feel like hassling trying to sell them.

I just recently read Neil Young's "Waging Heavy Peace" , he is quite a character/genius/savant!

It is a great book written in a constant racing interior monologue.

Neil jumps from one of his passions to another in a blink of an eye!

You really get a sense of how his brain works or sometimes doesn't!

His music, his family, his friends, his music/trains/car/bus/boat obsessions are sometimes pretty surprising.

His ability to surround himself with so many talented and many times very selfless people who make up his world and make his world run is just phenomenal.

The parts where he tells about all the lengths he and his wife go to, to give their severely, developmentally disabled son a real life is very touching indeed.

NY actually has 2 sons with CP and he himself has suffered epilepsy and other brain disorders his whole life.

I got the feeling he is able to inspire and awe most who meet him, even if they don't particularly like him. (Bless his wife!)

And most of all I enjoyed seeing how human NY is AND that he is honest and able to admit it.

Pretty cool book!

And to no surprise to me, NY is a great writer!

Edited for sp.

• 3 months later...

How many here like Dan Brown?
I have read all his books and like his narrative style intertwined with both fact and fiction.
I've just finished reading Inferno and although it came out last year, I finally got around to it.
No spoilers here but it's a conspiracy theorists and lovers of art's dream / nightmare, depending on your own point of view.
Like most of his books it's a race against time with the clues coming from Dante Aligheri's 14th century epic poem, Divine Comedy and various Renaissance artworks by Botticelli etc..

Edited for obvious reasons!

I barely have time to read anymore, but the last book I read was H.P Lovecraft's "At The Mountains of Madness" which I enjoyed. I'm going to have some more free time soon, and I'm planning to read Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina."

How many here like Dan Drown?

I have read all his books and like his narrative style intertwined with both fact and fiction.

I've just finished reading Inferno and although it came out last year, I finally got around to it.

No spoilers here but it's a conspiracy theorists and lovers of art's dream / nightmare, depending on your own point of view.

Like most of his books it's a race against time with the clues coming from Dante Aligheri's 14th century epic poem, Divine Comedy and various Renaissance artworks by Botticelli etc..

Reggie, do you mean Dan Brown?

I rarely get time to read these days, but I got Jennifer Saunders autobiography " Bonkers " for my birthday, and have started it - I love it so far! :)

Reggie, do you mean Dan Brown?

I rarely get time to read these days, but I got Jennifer Saunders autobiography " Bonkers " for my birthday, and have started it - I love it so far! :)

Freudian slip, Jules!

The part of the book is set in Venice!

I've only read the Da Vinci Code, and I did like it, but I just haven't got around to reading any of the others yet. I think that one took me so long to read I decided to wait until I had some more time on my hands to try the rest (whenever that will be).

I'm finishing When Giants Walked The Earth. Not sure why I left it so long, I think I was put off by the made-up ''thoughts'' Wall adds every now and again. I don't like them.

I also have volume 1 of the Beatles bio Tune In on the go, but at 800 pages I knew that would last me a while. Luckily, Lewisohn has said vol 2 won't be out until 2016 at the earliest.

I read the Da Vinci Code, too much exposition plus a kitchen sink plot.

However, the book sold very well.

I read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak a few months ago and I sobbed my heart out at the end. Most reviewers admit to being curled up in the fetal position while reading the ending and I can relate.

This is an amazing book ...... incredible power of words, well written, unique and has a wonderful depth in the characters. There are some beautifully profound and inspirational thoughts and lines written throught this book.

This book is special, it's a treasure and it will stay with you.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had the movie adaptation with Geoffrey Rush to watch. I hestitated a good week, because I was wary of that damn ending again, but eventually I watched it and thought wow, this doesn't even come close to the intensity and passion of the book. Admittedly, it would be a hard task to portray all the thoughts and points of view from the book, as they are just in the minds of the characters.

The movie is nowhere near as good as the book, but regardless, I still enjoyed the movie ..... helped by me pausing (a few times) the ending scenes, walking away and then coming back to rewatch. I was prepared and psyched for it .... and while I still cried, I wasn't a pathetic basket case, like I was when I read the book.

NO I haven't read any good books lately! I've been wanting to read some history books. I need to go buy some, thanks to this thread for reminding me!

Lipslikecherries, which historical periods are you most interested in?

I read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak a few months ago and I sobbed my heart out at the end. Most reviewers admit to being curled up in the fetal position while reading the ending and I can relate.

This is an amazing book ...... incredible power of words, well written, unique and has a wonderful depth in the characters. There are some beautifully profound and inspirational thoughts and lines written throught this book.

This book is special, it's a treasure and it will stay with you.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had the movie adaptation with Geoffrey Rush to watch. I hestitated a good week, because I was wary of that damn ending again, but eventually I watched it and thought wow, this doesn't even come close to the intensity and passion of the book. Admittedly, it would be a hard task to portray all the thoughts and points of view from the book, as they are just in the minds of the characters.

The movie is nowhere near as good as the book, but regardless, I still enjoyed the movie ..... helped by me pausing (a few times) the ending scenes, walking away and then coming back to rewatch. I was prepared and psyched for it .... and while I still cried, I wasn't a pathetic basket case, like I was when I read the book.

The most deeply moving ending to any book that I've ever read was Dickens, Tale of Two Cities ....Sydney Carton holding the French girl's hand on the way to the guillotine, etc

Hi Pagefan55! I'm most interested in reading the periods of history I know least about. :lol: Everything is interesting to me. I cherry pick. I would like to read up on the French Revolution, American Civil War/Reconstruction period, the American Great Depression. Those are just a few examples. Do you have any recommendations?

Hi lipslikecherries,

Everything is interesting to me, too. Your approach sounds perfect -- just read whatever you find most interesting or know the least about. I'm currently interested in early American history and the Jefferson-Hamilton debate. As a Virginian, I tend to be more partial and sympathetic to Jefferson, (I was born in Charlottesville, lol) and to his ideas and ideals. But at the same time, I highly respect Hamilton. He was extraordinarily brilliant and capable. More than a few European observers regarded Hamilton to be the greatest man of his age -- even greater than Napolean.

lately its been nothing but tight but loose/relix/ hittin` the note magazines. but I`ve sadly gotten a a right pile of books to read,

Keith Richards, Miles Davis are just two which I`ve to read. but I`ve gotten to find the time to sit and read the list of books,

• 4 weeks later...

Archived