Your Cell Phone

kingzoso

I just got a new cell phone on February 3, 2014. A new Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. I had my old Samsung cell phone for 3 and a half years before it died on me. My old Samsung phone was an "old" smartphone (though State-of-the-Art at the time). Of course, I had friends and co-workers with Iphones and other newer phones than mine but I was used to and content with My phone. I did not need all that new technology that the their phones were capable of. As long as I could call or text, I was content.

However, My new phone is "literally" (or should I say "practically") a computer on/in a phone. Almost 3 weeks after having it, I still do not really know all that this phone is capable of. I guess I will learn or take one full day to try and fully comprehend what My phone is capable of. One of the first things I did do was download the iHeartRadio app. With iHeartRadio, I customized my own channels. My channels in order are:

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Aerosmith

Black Sabbath

Dio

the Beatles

the Rolling Stones

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

One other great feature that My new phone provides, I am now capable of accessing this Awesome Led Zeppelin Forum with only the touch of a finger. I can now read posts and comments when I am at work or anywhere else I happen to be.

Anyway, I seemed to "Ramble On" and said/typed more then I anticipated.

The actual topic was meant to ask anyone who cares to respond: What kind of Cell Phone or "Smart" Phone do you possess?

Edited by kingzoso

I got an iPhone 5C (32G) in November; replacing the HTC/android phone I'd had for 2 years after it began having battery/charger port problems. I also got a new Macbook at the same time, so I have all Apple products (also have an iPad mini). I have to say though, I miss my HTC; I may go back to Android again next time. I'm keeping the Macbook, though!

If you don't already have a good music app, I recommend iSyncr. It was about $4; and it allowed you to bring over your iTunes library/playlists; and you can make ringtones from any song; no editing required. Very easy to use and to synch.

The one thing that blew my mind about the iPhone was what a huge pain it is to do musical ringtones. I assumed it would be super easy, but it wasn't; it was way easier with iSyncr. And you have to edit the songs to get ringtones from them with iPhones. Blew my mind.

My contract was up at Christmas and I decided to upgrade from the Galaxy SII to the Galaxy Note 3 - otherwise known as the tablet phone :P

I almost switched back to Apple for the iPhone 5s...but what sealed the deal for me was the Note 3's 13 megapixel camera.

I am absolutely in love with it. I mainly use it for email, music, and the camera...don't really text as much as I used to. The battery life is pretty good, I can get about two days out of a full charge with at least 8 or 9 hours of music and about three or four hours of screen use.

Edited by Glyn

My contract was up at Christmas and I decided to upgrade from the Galaxy SII to the Galaxy Note 3 - otherwise known as the tablet phone :P

I almost switched back to Apple for the iPhone 5s...but what sealed the deal for me was the Note 3's 13 megapixel camera.

I am absolutely in love with it. I mainly use it for email, music, and the camera...don't really text as much as I used to. The battery life is pretty good, I can get about two days out of a full charge with at least 8 or 9 hours of music and about three or four hours of screen use.

I also have a Galaxy S2, it's great for the most part (especially now that it's running Jelly Bean) except for the battery life- drops from 100% down to 60% with only limited amount of use in 1 day. I've had it for almost 2 years now, so I'm wondering if I should get the S4 or iPhone5, or wait a little longer until S5 comes out later this year.

What nobody here is mentioning is the COST of these smart phones. Do I want one. HELL YES. Will I upgrade to one? PROBABLY NOT. I have a Verizon account linked with Direct TV. I only have a flip phone. But it serves its purpose. I can text and it has the bluetooth capability to connect my SUV hands off so I am pretty happy with that. I just lost the XM Sirus radio and will not renew as I am not in the vehicle enough to make it worth the price. We have On Star but will likely let that go too. My cell is up for renewal soon. I am tempted to get a smart phone with a better keyboard. I hate the keys and typing on the flip. But I have to find out how much more they will want a month with a two yea contract. I just thanked my wife for my advance B day gift. She said " what are you talking about?" I said the MLB channel. So an extra fancy phone is probably not in the cards for me? If anyone here is with Verizon I would like to know what they think of the Galazy and the LG phones? Idea's pease. I have the lead guitar solo from Stairway to Heaven as my ringtone.

The cost of a new smart phone can be quite staggering. With AT&T when our two year contract is up, they will give you a discount on a new phone. Sometimes the older models of smart phones (iPhone 4, Galaxy S III) can be had for $100, $30, and even down to $1. The catch is, you are committing to a new two year contract.

The Galaxy Note III cost me $299 with a 2 year contract.

Something else you have to think about is data usage. I'm lucky in that I have a grandfathered in unlimited plan, nowadays there are no "unlimited" plans.

Edited by Glyn

16GB iPhone 4 running on Straight Talk - $45 per month unlimited talk/text/data.

And by unlimited, it's 2.5 GB of data at normal 3G speed (or 4G/LTE if your phone supports it), but once you exceed that 2.5 GB, you're throttled down to EDGE network speed, which is useless for all but the most rudimentary data tasks (email, etc.)

I've had my iPhone 4 for a few years now, and I'm really ready to move up to at least a 5, or hopefully a 5S.

And also like to have a minimum 32GB, but preferably a 64GB phone, so I have plenty of room for music and movies.

I couldn't imagine going back to a non-smartphone, they are simply too necessary.

The cost of a new smart phone can be quite staggering. With AT&T when our two year contract is up, they will give you a discount on a new phone. Sometimes the older models of smart phones (iPhone 4, Galaxy S III) can be had for $100, $30, and even down to $1. The catch is, you are committing to a new two year contract.

The Galaxy Note III cost me $299 with a 2 year contract.

Something else you have to think about is data usage. I'm lucky in that I have a grandfathered in unlimited plan, nowadays there are no "unlimited" plans.

$300 is alot when you have signed a two year contract IMO. I know you can get a smart phone for far less with the 2 yr contract, which you basically have gun held to your head to sign up for. anything less is a rip off.

$300 is alot when you have signed a two year contract IMO. I know you can get a smart phone for far less with the 2 yr contract, which you basically have gun held to your head to sign up for. anything less is a rip off.

It is a lot, but at the time it was (and still might be) the newest model...so you have to take that into consideration. It retails for well over $900 without contract.

Edited by Glyn

It is a lot, but at the time it was (and still might be) the newest mode...so you have to take that into considerationl. It retails for well over $900 without contract.

Oh I am sure its a nice toy to have. I wish I had one. Surfin in the car. I would be on it every waking minute. and the bill would be over the allowed minutes.

What nobody here is mentioning is the COST of these smart phones. Do I want one. HELL YES. Will I upgrade to one? PROBABLY NOT. I have a Verizon account linked with Direct TV. I only have a flip phone. But it serves its purpose. I can text and it has the bluetooth capability to connect my SUV hands off so I am pretty happy with that. I just lost the XM Sirus radio and will not renew as I am not in the vehicle enough to make it worth the price. We have On Star but will likely let that go too. My cell is up for renewal soon. I am tempted to get a smart phone with a better keyboard. I hate the keys and typing on the flip. But I have to find out how much more they will want a month with a two yea contract. I just thanked my wife for my advance B day gift. She said " what are you talking about?" I said the MLB channel. So an extra fancy phone is probably not in the cards for me? If anyone here is with Verizon I would like to know what they think of the Galazy and the LG phones? Idea's pease. I have the lead guitar solo from Stairway to Heaven as my ringtone.

Might want to take a look at this one: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en

I've got the Nexus 5, and it's a fuckin' brilliant phone for $350 off contract, and has some of the same specs as some high-end Samsung or HTC phones. I don't think it's on Verizon at the moment, though.

A solution might be to buy a smartphone at entry level. You often find that people use only a small amount of an expensive smartphone's features. I am giving you details, and a press review, of an entry level smartphone which has the latest version of Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. According to the review, this handset is giving some of the top end models a run for their money.

This Motorola Moto-g is a smartphone at the lower end of the price scale, and it has received great reviews in the UK. (Motorola now belongs to Google). It is affordable, whether you get it on contract or PAYG. I don't know if it is available in the US.

www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile.../moto-g.../review

The best budget handset around

Motorola's back, and it's kicking off its global smartphone revival with the keenly priced Moto G handset. A mid-range handset with a low-end price tag and Android KitKat - okay Moto, I'm listening.

First things first then, the Motorola Moto G price. You can pick the handset up in two storage sizes - 8GB and 16GB. The former will set you back just £135, while the larger size is still a very palatable £159.
And here's some more good news: both Vodafone and Tesco Mobile in the UK have got the phone on offer, coming at £100 (with a £10 top up) for the former, and £110 from the latter - man, that's cheap for what you're getting.
So where does this place the Moto G in the market? Well at that price it has the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Fame, Nokia Lumia 520 and LG Optimus L3 2 for company, but dive into the spec list and you'll note the Moto G wipes the floor with them.
Ratings in depth
In terms of design the Moto G takes most of its cues from the firm's first, post-Google takeover handset, the Moto X.
It's hardly groundbreaking in terms of looks, but the soft, curved edges of the Moto G make it relatively attractive and the swath of plastic feels solid and well built.
Weighing in at 143g the Moto G has a pleasing, well balanced presence in the hand without being overbearing, and while it may measure 11.6mm thick in the middle the tapered edges make it feel thinner than it is.
Couple that with a rubberised rear plate which slightly hugs the side of the handset too, and the Moto G fits comfortably in the palm, providing a decent level of grip.
The Moto G features a water repellent coating which means you'll be able to whip it out in the rain without fear of a short circuit, but it is not waterproof - so no jumping in the pool with it.
You can even take the rear cover off and swap it for a different color, which Motorola is pushing as a big customizable feature of the phone. In reality however it just reminds me of my Nokia 3310.
Sure, changing covers is fun for all of five minutes, but the novelty soon wears off. Not to mention the back cover is also pretty tricky to remove - you need to really dig your nails in at the base of the handset to get it free.

The left side of the Moto G is devoid of any features, while the top of the handset only sports a centralized headphone jack. Both the power/lock key and volume rocker switch are located on the right of the G and these are easy to reach and responsive to the press.

On the base is a microUSB port, while under the removable cover is a microSIM port - but no microSD slot. That means if you want to expand the onboard storage you'll have to take to the cloud.

The 2070mAh non-removable battery housed inside the Moto G is claimed to give you all day battery life, and I put that to the test - skip ahead to the battery life and connectivity section to see how it got on.

The Moto G comes with a 4.5-inch, 1280 x 720 display and boasts a 329ppi pixel density. To put that in some perspective that's a bigger, higher resolution and more defined display than the iPhone 5S - not bad for a handset which is a third of the price.

Of course a HD display isn't the only key factor in a smartphone, but Motorola has managed to equip the Moto G with a 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 400 processor and 1GB of RAM.

In terms of specs then the Moto G is actually giving the HTC One Mini,Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Nokia Lumia 820 a run for their mid-range, dual-core money - and once again the screen is bigger than these rivals. The Motorola handset even beats the Samsung and Nokia when it comes to resolution.

The camera on the rear of the Moto G is only 5MP and this is trumped by the S4 Mini and Lumia 820 and their 8MP snappers.
All in all the Moto G finds itself in no-mans land, with a complete disconnect between its price and spec list. This, of course, isn't a bad thing and on paper it offers outstanding value for money.

Oh I am sure its a nice toy to have. I wish I had one. Surfin in the car. I would be on it every waking minute. and the bill would be over the allowed minutes.

Edited by 1973fan

I just logged on to the forum using. My new cell, a LG G2. I love it, although im use to my tablet for posting. I picked this up from a family member who had it for 4 days and dropped it. Cracked screen and broken stabilizer. I got it fixed for $276, and now am contract free with T Mobile!

I hate touch screen phones, so often I take the thing out of my pocket to answer a call, swipe the ring upwards (htc) or swipe right (Samsung) and you look at the screen and there's a bloody icon missing wtf. Then it takes an age to work out which one is missing, so annoying.

• 2 months later...

I FINALLY was eligible for the upgrade. Good riddens to the flip phone that was horrible for texting. I have a brand new Apple I phone and they threw in an I Pad for free. My male cat is wondering what this strange new beep is. I have already gone to the I store and made Jimmy Page a $1.29 richer. I have Kashmir now as my ringtone. I had the lead in Stairway on my old phone but the guy did not transfer it for some reason. So I will have to buy it again if I want it. I will go with the change and use Kashmir for a while.

I FINALLY was eligible for the upgrade. Good riddens to the flip phone that was horrible for texting. I have a brand new Apple I phone and they threw in an I Pad for free. My male cat is wondering what this strange new beep is. I have already gone to the I store and made Jimmy Page a $1.29 richer. I have Kashmir now as my ringtone. I had the lead in Stairway on my old phone but the guy did not transfer it for some reason. So I will have to buy it again if I want it. I will go with the change and use Kashmir for a while.

I don't have an iPhone so maybe this is a stupid question, but if you have iTunes on your computer couldn't you transfer Stairway or Kashmir or any other song in your iTunes library to your new iPhone to use as the ringtone? I did this with my new Galaxy S5 and have Jam Sandwich for my ringtone.

I don't have an iPhone so maybe this is a stupid question, but if you have iTunes on your computer couldn't you transfer Stairway or Kashmir or any other song in your iTunes library to your new iPhone to use as the ringtone? I did this with my new Galaxy S5 and have Jam Sandwich for my ringtone.

Yes.

I suppose if you are the rocket scientist you are maybe? But do you want to wind up in court at Jimmy's mercy?

I suppose if you are the rocket scientist you are maybe? But do you want to wind up in court at Jimmy's mercy?

I didn't steal any songs, I BOUGHT the cds that they are on, put them on my computer, transferred them to my phone & now can use them for a ringtone. Why would Jimmy have a problem with that?

Sorry Ledzeppfan77 I thought I was trying to help.....oh well live & learn

I didn't steal any songs, I BOUGHT the cds that they are on, put them on my computer, transferred them to my phone & now can use them for a ringtone. Why would Jimmy have a problem with that?

Sorry Ledzeppfan77 I thought I was trying to help.....oh well live & learn

I was just kidding.