The Yes Thread

Cletus

An old bit of writing from 2002 at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center

Yes + NJPAC = awesome!

My wife and I for our second anniversary, treated ourselves to a wonderfully classy evening of Yes. I’m not a critical reviewer of the show from a technical standpoint (there were a few glitches to fulfill those purists among us), but as I’ve read in so many reviews before, Yes touches a part of us spiritually. Looking around at the audience, and how we’ve all grown old, yet still have the privilege of Yes being on stage, Live in 2002, I can’t help but feel blessed. Apart from the some of the synth sounds, to me, none of the compositions seems locked in time. The dynamics, the tension, the interplay between the band members, the relaxed fun that was going on….there’s just nothing like it in all of music. I am aware and listen to a bit of the current music mainstream, with bands that reach for what Yes was. Tool seems to be the only mainstream band, in the sense that they employ long compositions, a tremendous rhythm section, similar dynamics for emotional effect etc. that I could compare in experience. But Yes, with their gentle, sincere spirit, no matter how sappy by todays cynical standards, is a far more unique, uplifting, complex, fulfilling experience. I feel for kids now, not having the exposure to such wise and positive music.

I had the opportunity to turn, a friend/musician who is only 26, on to a band he never would have had the chance to see, by todays’ connections. He is a very talented singer songwriter, who although very accomplished compositionally hasn’t been exposed to such as Yes. He had never heard their music and was blown away. From what he heard, that I sent him, Starship Trooper stood out as a favorite. How great was it that they played that? And it was such a loose, fun version. It was also wonderful to be surrounded by such a knowledgeable community of fans, who show rapt enthusiasm at every nuance.

Listen, nothing beats the energy of witnessing the band back in its stadium-filling heyday. That excitement of hearing new material for the first time, head full of whatever supposed mind-expanding drug was available, massive avalanches of crescendo after crescendo. But today, with a much-settled soul, a clear head and comfortable seats, I feel gifted by their music.

I saw a couple guys that I went to high school with who told me that they had seen the band successively for 28 years. It was great to see them. I had forgotten what big fans they were. My wife betty and I had the pleasure of sitting next to an English couple, John and Joyce, who shared stories of shows “over the pond” back in the day. During Awaken I was totally lost in the moment, tears streaming down my face, convinced that as I die and go to Heaven, this would be the soundtrack that I would hear. I felt numb and I’m sober 8 years. Awaken seems to me, and John concurred, to be a sort of an undiscovered gem, which I never realized until maybe five years ago, what an unbelievably powerful composition it is. I don’t remember it being the centerpiece of their set back in the late 70’s or 80’s. (I don’t actually remember much of anything from those days) I guess that’s why, at 47, to be able to see Yes in all their glory, fat, bald, gray warts and all, yet as brilliant musically as they ever were is something that I could have never imagined. God’s grace is abundant.

Thank you John, Joyce and John for great commraderie, and Jon, Steve, Rik, Chris and Alan for sharing your soul.

I missed the early Bruford years but got to see them in '74, '75, '78, '80 and 2000.

As much as the '80 tour was dissed, because of Trevor Horn and that other Buggles dude...I really enjoyed it.

Machine Messiah, Does it Really Happen, Tempus Fugit all nice numbers.

My favorite show was in '75 (still Relayer tour) though, I was in the 5th row, dead center and had a backstage pass. Ace's (How Long, has this been going on) guitarist, Phil Harris gave me his. :D We smoked a joint of my homegrown while he was being interviewed for a local paper. The interviewee puffed right along too.

When I saw them in 2000, they were a bit flat. The energy just wasn't there, oh well..the tickets were free.

I even enjoyed Patrick Moraz on keys more than Rick Wakeman....My collection includes everything up through Relayer, except Yessongs...favorite---Close to the Edge.

The gates of Delerium middle section really does sound like the end of the world on Relayer !! awsome stuff !!

Those stage props they had during the relayer tours were out of this world too. I think they were designed by Roger Dean, same guy who did the covers at that time.

Yes opened with Sound Chaser and the crowd went SILENT for the incredible dynamics after cheering so loudly as the band came onstage.....Wow, they were so professional and crystal clear sound....powerful and punchy...

That must of been cool to be there, I didn't see them untill 1997 and 2001/2, although the 2001 gig had the Wakeman,Howe,Anderson,Squire and White too, oh and Squires bass solo spot was so heavy and shook the floor boards. I have to say I have a soft spot for the Drama era lineup as Tempus Fugit is one of my fave tracks and Chris used some of this for his solo spot !!

Seeing as how I've never seen Zeppelin live, then I'd have to say that the Yes concert I saw in '78 is my all-time favorite show. The Yes Album and Magnification get the most playtime although lately I've been listening to & enjoying their offshoot group Circa:

And I agree about Jon Anderson's vocals, he's second only to Mr. Plant.

• 2 months later...

I popped this under guilty pleasures too with Buggles, as I love the Drama era of Yes and loved it without the vocals of Anderson, this was almost the start of the 90125 era hits machine !!

Tempus Fugit is one of my faves !!, don't get me wrong I love Yes with JOn but just think this era gets forgotten !! Chris plays the bass part to to this song live in concert and its shakes the foundations !! Along with Zep ,Purple Yes are my fave band!!

Edited by leddy

To me Yes is the definition of progressive rock.that style went out of popularity,but you cant argue the combo of musicianship and songwriting these guys put out.Some claimed that their type of music is overindulgent.I say its damn good.I like The Yes album Close To The Edge,Fragile best

To me Yes is the definition of progressive rock.that style went out of popularity,but you cant argue the combo of musicianship and songwriting these guys put out.Some claimed that their type of music is overindulgent.I say its damn good.I like The Yes album Close To The Edge,Fragile best

Close to the edge is an epic !! :)

My three favorite bands, in order, have always been...

1 - Led Zeppelin

2 - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

3 - Yes

Relayer is my favorite studio album. I've listened to Gates of Delirium so many times

I have the timing of every note memorized!! I've seen Yes several times, starting with the Drama tour..then the Trevor Rabin years and once again on the Reunion tour (in the round at Madison Square Garden..Great show)

No Yes fan..

I'm not a fan of progressive rock for some reason, though I like some of the really early stuff in that genre.

BUT, I'm a big fan of Howe. After all, he was involved making one of the best British psych records in the late 60's together with Twink among others.

Tomorrow - Tomorrow

j18759q2htv.jpg

Edited by Swede

Been a massive fan since 75, saw them in 78 (in the round) and 80 (Buggles)...........The Fish live is something to behold, you dont so much hear it as feel it in your guts.

Hey Joel would have loved to catch them on the Relayer tour, some of the Boots are awesome.

Guilty pleasure, I actually love Topographic Oceans, especially The Remembering...........in fact on my way home from work in an hour to listen to the whole damn thing including the demos on the Remastered version..............well thats my evening sorted unless someone (ideally female) comes up with a better option.