The Yes Thread

Cletus

How come no one ever got on Steve Howe's case about playing "Mood for a Day" and "The Clap" at every show for almost 40 years now ? If he were Jimmy Page....

Yes, but both are far less boring than White Summer/BMS.

Edited by JTM

How come no one ever got on Steve Howe's case about playing "Mood for a Day" and "The Clap" at every show for almost 40 years now ? If he were Jimmy Page....

hmmm JP solo likely samey but so is Brian May`s solo since `73...

Yes, but both are far less boring than White Summer/BMS.

yes JTM...May`s Brighton Rock LOL

I don't get it either. First of all, it wasn't played at all in 71 72 73 or 75. It was bought back in 77 and was used with great effect before Kashmir. Could it have been shorter? Of course, but it just made Kashmir that much more powerful. Light and shade to the max. Mood for A Day and Clap are more difficult to play, but they bored me to tears when Howe played them live. I love Steve Howe, but he is capable of so much more. Edited by the chase

I don't get it either. First of all, it wasn't played at all in 71 72 73 or 75. It was bought back in 77 and was used with great effect before Kashmir. Could it have been shorter? Of course, but it just made Kashmir that much more powerful. Light and shade to the max. Mood for A Day and Clap are more difficult to play, but they bored me to tears when Howe played them live. I love Steve Howe, but he is capable of so much more.

Maybe because Steve Howe didn't butcher "Mood for a Day" like Jimmy Page occasionally did "WS/BMS" in 1977 and 1980? If Howe has butchered it in the past, I haven't heard any audio evidence of same. And truth be told, there were several Yes tours I saw where Steve Howe did NOT perform "The Clap" or "Mood for a Day".

"The Clap" I didn't care for, but I thought "Mood for a Day" was a lovely acoustic interlude...and brief.

Maybe because Steve Howe didn't butcher "Mood for a Day" like Jimmy Page occasionally did "WS/BMS" in 1977 and 1980? If Howe has butchered it in the past, I haven't heard any audio evidence of same. And truth be told, there were several Yes tours I saw where Steve Howe did NOT perform "The Clap" or "Mood for a Day".

"The Clap" I didn't care for, but I thought "Mood for a Day" was a lovely acoustic interlude...and brief.

fair enough...Jimmy was occasionally butchering EVERYTHING in 77-80. The issue I was responding to was if it was boring or not. I saw Steve Howe play them back to back live and countless times on video. I saw him play Clap with Asia in 82. He played it / both flawlessly.. It was kind of boring to me .. very predictable and safe.

WS/BMS was a brilliant way to mellow people out then stomp their guts out straight into Kashmir. For that purpose, it seemed to have worked quite well. Maybe by 80 the surprise element was gone because most everyone knew Kashmir was coming after, but it definitely worked in 77.

Edited by the chase

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone! :wave: 

I had some help and advice. 

My dad is a pretty big fan of Yes. Albums such as Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From The Topographic Oceans and 90125, mean the world to him.

With Father's Day coming up in a few months, I am planning (among other things), to buy my dad, a copy of The Yes Album. I heard snippets of that album and I loved it, but most importantly, I am really hoping that my dad loves it, given that he has never listened to this particular album before! I cannot possibly, let my dad know anything, as it will spoil the surprise! 

So, am I doing the right thing by considering this album or should I go in for some other album? What do you guys think about The Yes Album?

Thanks guys (in advance)! :peace: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 2:01 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Hi everyone! :wave: 

I had some help and advice. 

My dad is a pretty big fan of Yes. Albums such as Fragile, Close To The Edge, Tales From The Topographic Oceans and 90125, mean the world to him.

With Father's Day coming up in a few months, I am planning (among other things), to buy my dad, a copy of The Yes Album. I heard snippets of that album and I loved it, but most importantly, I am really hoping that my dad loves it, given that he has never listened to this particular album before! I cannot possibly, let my dad know anything, as it will spoil the surprise! 

So, am I doing the right thing by considering this album or should I go in for some other album? What do you guys think about The Yes Album?

Thanks guys (in advance)! :peace: 

My advice to you, kid, is to just go for it! I can guarantee that your father will be pleased as punch to receive such a gift! To me, it's the thought that counts and the fact that this album sounds so smashing, will be an added bonus! :D 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely overdue. I've read - don't know if it's true - that Rick Wakeman said he is not going to attend the ceremony because  it should have been done when Chris Squire was still alive. I agree with him; the honor would have meant a lot to Chris.  It's sad those snobs waited too long. Jann Wenner is said to hate prog but Yes are beyond such petty classifications.  

I used to be really into Yes & ELP, but now when I try to listen, I lose interest. Don't get me wrong, these are tremendous musicians, with very complex songs at times.

It is a shame that it has taken this long, as Chris Squire was easily one of the greatest bassists of all time.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, John M said:

I agree with many of the comments to that Rolling Stone video link above.  Typical Rolling Stone hatchet job.

I totally agree.

It also is incomplete. Going for the One is an excellent album and passed over. Jon Davison is not even mentioned. (He did write and record an album with them!) I don't believe Patrick Moraz is even mentioned either.

The guy has a hangup over Steve Howe's appearance. I would wonder how HE would feel if it was reciprocated. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the 2 cd set "Progengy:  The Best of Seventy-Two".  I did not get the full set of 6 complete concerts that Yes released a few years ago.  Did anyone here get that complete set of 6 shows?  Was it worth it?  I know the set lists are the same for all 6 shows. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...