Remember the "Second Coming" of LZ?

strutter806

After the crash, around '81-'83, there was hype about what band was gonna be the "second coming" of Zep. I know a lot of you 40 and up fans out there remember this. It was mainly Circus and Hit Parader mags that hyped this stuff up big time.

I distinctly remember Def Leppard as a contender. Nowhere close now. They had a similar guitar sound and thudish drum beats but thats it.

What about Fastway? Another 2nd coming contender, similar guitar sound and production, singer emulated Plant pretty fairly. Songs all sounded the same though. Bands that "sound like Zeppelin" usually write their songs sounding all alike which is un-Zep from the start. The song remains the same not the song sounds the same!

Who else has memories of the "new-Zep" era when bands were trying to scoop that glory?

I'm in my mid-40's and I do remember that period. I was young and largely unaware of the issue, but I do vaguely remember hearing a little talk that certain bands--particularly Def Leppard--were going to be the "next Zeppelin." Needless to say, that didn't happen. I also remember reading an interview with Joe Elliot, Leppard's lead singer, maybe 10 years ago, where he expressed his hope that someday Leppard would be accepted as one of the great English rock bands, in the same league with Zep, the Stones, Floyd, the Who, etc. Needless to say, that hasn't happened either. I should mention that in my HS (mid-80's) Leppard was particularly popular with some of the best-looking "rebel" girls, and I myself really liked (and still really like) a few of their songs: "Bringing on the Heartbreak," "Animal," etc.

i'm no where near forty, but i did discover a band called Kingdom Come, that was apparently mocked quite a bit for being a clone of Zeppelin back in the day. Maybe others who were aware of this can shed some more light on "Kingdom Clone."

i'm no where near forty, but i did discover a band called Kingdom Come, that was apparently mocked quite a bit for being a clone of Zeppelin back in the day. Maybe others who were aware of this can shed some more light on "Kingdom Clone."

True, and they had a couple of good songs (Get it On), but they were pretty cliche, and weren't in the public eye for long.

Well, I'm almost 60 and I don't remember anything about a 2nd coming of Led Zeppelin. However, I thought I read something or heard some talk in the past 10 years about a band called the Mars Volta being this generations Led Zeppelin. I think they don't exist anymore. I have a few of their CDs. Very very strange. Ridiculously long songs too. It seemed to take them forever to get to the point. Really hard to describe their music too. They had constant changes within their songs. Slow, fast, loud, soft . Very inconsistent at least to me. Some of their stuff is OK, but a lot of it is really unlistenable. One of my sons made me copies of a few of their CDs. Next Zeppelin-no way! No one will ever be the next Zeppellin.

Archived