Knebworth '79

BlyZeppelinaren

So I've been rewatching the Knebworth show and WOW is Jimmy not at his best there, was he drunk or high or maybe a bit of both?

The show is still way better than I remember it, Robert is freaking amazing and Jonesy and Bonzo too of course, if only Jimmy was as good as he was at the Copenhagen warm-ups, if he was Knebworth could have been so freaking great, now it's still good but Jimmy is really taking some of it away, at least he doesn't stand still all the way through like the Seattle gig.

So what do you all think? It's absolutely not the worst show but is it great you think?

Jimmy was okay on the 4th, but the 11th is an unmititigated disaster.

I just watched it recently, and Jimmy is so obviously coked out of his head when they start. Song remains the same and Celebration Day are played SOOOO fast.

I think the pressure of the event and the bad vibes backstage Jimmy just lost it and got messed up he was really struggling.

Jimmy breaks two strings on the 11th, PA issues on the 11th, Ten Years Gone is performed on the 4th, and Heartbreaker is a longer encore than Communication Breakdown (and doesn't have Robert butchering the song). Plus, only the 4th was used on the DVD, which was 7 songs (admittedly with some 11th to help the vocals out).

Scoreboard:

August 4: 12

August 11: 0

The 11th has a (slightly) better Black Dog, better No Quarter, equally good Kashmir, and Boogie Chillun' during Whole Lotta Love.

4th: 12

11th:4

Jimmy breaks two strings on the 11th, PA issues on the 11th, Ten Years Gone is performed on the 4th, and Heartbreaker is a longer encore than Communication Breakdown (and doesn't have Robert butchering the song). Plus, only the 4th was used on the DVD, which was 7 songs (admittedly with some 11th to help the vocals out).

Scoreboard:

August 4: 12

August 11: 0

If Copenhagen (2nd night) were available in soundboard quality, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

That said, the tracks from 8-4 on the LZ DVD are very good, and I agree that Kashmir kicks ass and might be the best live version ever.

If Copenhagen (2nd night) were available in soundboard quality, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

That said, the tracks from 8-4 on the LZ DVD are very good, and I agree that Kashmir kicks ass and might be the best live version ever.

Both recordings of the copenhagen shows are brilliant audience recordings though, up there with Mike's, I don't think I would like a soundboard of the show more than I like the audience ones

Archived