Knebworth concert?

chapita

Interesting to read that Robert would prefer the 11th..

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they preferred the 11th till this thread.

The 11th is widely considered the inferior show,

Also, I've always thought it was odd that the 1st Knebworth show was on the 4th of August.

August 4th 1979 is the 4th anniversary of the near fatal car accident his family suffered through in Greece.

Maybe the date itself leaves a bad taste for Robert.. if that makes sense.

• 2 years later...

The 11th to me, is a Jimmy Train wreck.  One of his worst performances of all time.

His guitar tone is muddy.

His playing is totally disjointed, unglued, and just a mess.

He is rushing every song, coked off his face.  Look at video of opening numbers, his face is pinched up sweating profusely gritting his teeth, he's a mess I can't even stand watching it.

The rest of the band is actually very good, especially Bonzo.  Just so solid.

jimmy though, I'm mad at him for being so bad when they had video cameras rolling and multi tracking the show.  He really blew that one, badly.  Like Atlantic 40th bad.

Has anyone had a chance to review the new audience recording of the 11th?

Sometimes, although rare, the audience source sounds better than the sound board.

I love the Munich show in 80 and think it's sounds better than all the soundboards of 1980.

• 5 months later...
On 1/11/2017 at 10:35 AM, bluecongo said:

The 11th to me, is a Jimmy Train wreck.  One of his worst performances of all time.

His guitar tone is muddy.

His playing is totally disjointed, unglued, and just a mess.

He is rushing every song, coked off his face.  Look at video of opening numbers, his face is pinched up sweating profusely gritting his teeth, he's a mess I can't even stand watching it.

The rest of the band is actually very good, especially Bonzo.  Just so solid.

jimmy though, I'm mad at him for being so bad when they had video cameras rolling and multi tracking the show.  He really blew that one, badly.  Like Atlantic 40th bad.

Yes, the rest of the band should have lined up after the gig to each kick Jimmy square in the nuts, with Grant giving him the coup de gras. I would ask what the hell was Jimmy thinking but as he was in the depths of addiction at the time, it is what it is.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, No Quota said:

Has anyone had a chance to review the new audience recording of the 11th?

Sometimes, although rare, the audience source sounds better than the sound board.

I love the Munich show in 80 and think it's sounds better than all the soundboards of 1980.

I hear this often and I can't help but wonder if that's because you don't hear all the sonic warts on an audience tape. Most sound boards are very unsparing, and you hear every little missed note, open string etc. I find that's the case especially with '77 shows. The audience tapes are much more forgiving of Jimmy's playing and since Bonzo and Jones are pretty much always spot on, it sounds more cohesive than the board tape. 

The rain song from the 11th is not too bad as well. Kneb 11th was the first pro-shot boot I got on VHS and watched it to death. I remember Page hitting an awful bum note in SIbLY and songs like MMH being borderline abysmal - a rushed punky mess with no feel or swing. I think the negative press from the first gig rocked their confidence a bit on the 11th. Despite all of that, I loved it at the time and still have some affection for it.

I remember it coming out on VHS and I think it did quite a bit of damage to their reputation. it could have been very different had it have been the first show that had leaked out instead of the poor second show. I remember a few of us congregated to watch it, zepp and non zepp fans and it was quite a shock how poor some of it was

Archived