POSSIBLE TOUR RUMORS/ANNOUNCENTS THREAD

madison

Buried in the back of this month's Uncut and in reply to a reader's letter Alan Jones (Uncut's editor) speculates on whether RP will be able to stick to his 'it's a one off' stance and avoid the temptation of a full tour.

He then says from what he hears Led Zep have provisionally booked 2 dates at Wembley Stadium as part of a wider tour! But we await Robert's updated views with baited breath.

Keep the faith guys, we'll all be doing the Misty Mountain Hop of joy in the not to distant future!

I just heard on the Rock Report on 95.5 KLOS (Los Angeles) that according to John Paul Jones (!) they are meeting later this month to discuss the future of the band.

:ph34r:

take from it what you will......

well i heard one about webley stadium its on my link, its from bbc its about 1 and half month old duno if links still work ive tried them and a fat red box comes up, used to be some intro thing. I hope they play in wembely itl b immense

if RP feels that new material is needed before a tour...that's his personal choice and it sounds like a roadblock to a tour alright.

think of all the bands that travel on their great material produced long ago some I know are bands people don't love but they have successful tours.

Eagles (actually did way after the numerous reunion tours release something new)

Police

REO Speedwagon

Styx

I'm sure there are many others....people come to hear what they know anyway. if there were a new cd of all new material (LZ) the audiences would be screaming for the classics. if that's something RP doesn't like he'd probably not enjoy the tour and it wouldn't be fun for him at all anyway.

Sorry I haven't read any previous posts.

However i've learnt over the years not to rely on drunk roadies or band friends etc.

There's also no smoke without fire.

JPJ has just given an interview and he's the most straight up person within the band. If he says nothing has been decided and they're gonna meet sometime this month to talk about it then I believe him. Jason Bonham can't comment because he has self admitted that he's too excitable so he's always the last to know any firm plans. I'm sure he'd drop "Foreigner" at the drop of a hat to do a Zep gig/tour.

So it only comes down to Jimmy and Robert. I'm not getting excited about S++T until either of these guys says it's gonna happen. Obviously if Robert gives an interview saying he'll do some Zep gigs then it will happen.

However history denotes that this has never happened and it's always been a press release from the band.

So until this happens i'd suggest everyone stops tormenting themselves with tabloid tidbits and just keeps their fingers crossed like mine. Because to be honest if they play another gig together half as good as they did at the 02 then they'll be doing a great job!

:thumbsup:

There's also no smoke without fire.

JPJ has just given an interview and he's the most straight up person within the band. If he says nothing has been decided and they're gonna meet sometime this month to talk about it then I believe him.

So until this happens i'd suggest everyone stops tormenting themselves with tabloid tidbits and just keeps their fingers crossed like mine. Because to be honest if they play another gig together half as good as they did at the 02 then they'll be doing a great job!

excellent!!!!!! :thumbsup:

i know this is more towards rumor, and a huge mistake saying John Bonham instead of Jason Bonham (which had to be a slip up being the guy is a heavy metal journalist...also....he's into "it's all about the money" thing which may be a motivator for many but not for LZ boys. his probably wishfully thinking like many of us.

Prediction: the Led Zeppelin tour will happen, and it will happen in 2008.

January 14, 2008

Nevermind the rumour mill with all its uncertainties. Pay no attention to Robert Plant’s tour with Alison Kraus and don’t worry that John Bonham told a reporter “not to get greedy”. As sure as the sun comes up tomorrow, Led Zeppelin will go on tour.

It might not be a very extensive tour. They will probably limit it to a small handful of large population centres (who knows about a Canadian appearance), but it will happen. Led Zeppelin will set foot on this continent.

We can take that for granted because in the music industry, anything that makes money tends to happen, and such a tour would make more money than Microsoft. No other tour, recent or upcoming, is even in the same ballpark. G’n’R, Metallica, Van Halen, Heaven and Hell, Ozzfest: all small potatoes. In the rock world, at least in terms of sheer bankability, Led Zeppelin has no peer. Only a reunited Pink Floyd (or the Beatles, which is most unlikely) would even be remotely comparable to the cash cow unleashed.

We’ve seen a sample of it already. Last year, when the Zeps hit the O2 Arena in London, about a million people applied for 7000 tickets. Some fans paid up to £7,525 online.

That’s $14 742 US ladies and gentlemen!

And it leaves about 993 000 people who still want to see the show in the UK alone!

You wanna bet there aren’t at least that many (willing to pay at least that much) on this side of the Atlantic? No manager’s going to pass up that market!

Granted, part of the demand comes from perceived scarcity. That’s why they will probably keep the tour small. It adds to the mystique. Unlike the Rolling Stones or The Who, who’ve ground the live circuit into redundancy, Led Zeppelin have wisely stayed aloof, cultivating an almost supernatural aura with the help of the relentless classic rock radio hype machine.

The time to do it is certainly now, while the demand is there and while they’re still healthy enough to do it. If they haven’t announced it already it’s because a) they’re still working out the details and B) they’re teasing us. Cultivating the appetite as it were. Tension does tend to heighten anticipation. And it does spread publicity, as media speculation does the advertising. When the bomb finally does drop (or the levee breaks) there will be a riot at every Ticketmaster location in the hemisphere.

Get ready.

Sources:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/39766/led-zepp...t-event-of-2007

http://news.yahoo.com/s/launch/20080110/en_launch/54834142

By Steve Dylag

It's just MacWorld type speculation. Obviously it's POSSIBLE they will play a few dates but I'm now inclined to doubt it because of Robert's recent statements. I think Robert will want to let Zep rest in order to give Raising Sand and then potentially review any new material scraped up in the interim.

As a 29yr old who's only ever seen LZ on recorded performances (and who failed to score any O2 tickets as well) I'd just be happy to see them in concert, period. Well, the O2 lineup is as close to the 'real thing' as we're likely to get now, but still. Three original members plus the son of the fourth is rather better than the band that dares to call itself 'The Who' (ie Townsend, Daltrey, and whichever session men happen to be available). So, if there is any future LZ activity, I wouldn't care what they played, or if there was any new material - I'd just like to see them, and that'd be enough. They wouldn't need any new songs anyway, when everybody would be there to hear the material that is already so familiar from the albums.

I agree BelfastBoy. I would have to have a designated driver after I scored the tickets. I don't think my feet would be on the ground for some time.

If I'm greedy to wish for a rematch, then so be it... may I be the greediest of all! I accept it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this article about the Bonnaroo festival:

Led Zeppelin to play Tennessee festival

Bang Showbiz

Dec. 31, 2007 10:08 AM

Led Zeppelin will headline a U.S. rock festival next year.

The legendary band are set to perform at Tennessee's Bonnaroo festival in June 2008 after lead singer Robert Plant had a "change of heart" over the decision to follow up their comeback concert at London's O2 arena earlier this month with further dates.

A source said: "They are going to play the Bonnaroo festival, which runs from June 12 to 15. This news will drive their fans absolutely wild.

"They have been bombarding their Web site to get back together for good but only lead singer Robert Plant wasn't keen to commit. Now he's had a change of heart and if it all goes well they are also talking about touring."

It has been rumoured that 2008 will see the band - which also includes bassist John Paul Jones and guitarist Jimmy Page, with late drummer John Bonham' s son Jason on drums - embark on a world tour that could net them in the region of £1 billion.

The source added to Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper: "All ticket sellers have been told a world tour will take place, there's just some ironing out of contracts to be done. They are already talking about playing venues like Knebworth, Glastonbury and even returning to Madison Square Garden in New York where they played their legendary shows in 1973.

"They were looking to do it in March but now it will most likely be May. With ticket sales combined with merchandising it could make them as much as £1 billion."

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/article...31zeppelin.html

Things are looking towards "yes". :D Yeh!

Most of the articles coming out say wait until the Fall. With these positive sounding hints from band members (horses mouth).............. Wait till Fall : if we can wait 30 years .... FALL HEY, NO PROBLEM!!! :)can do!!!

just start saving some extra $$$ now for airfares, hotels, ground transportation and of course the tickets...so as to attend more than one concert. i'd be happy to just get to one of course.

I had mentioned in an earlier post i thought they'd do a tour in the Fall into '09.

Just hope it all sticks together.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/zeppelin-...1369128188.html

Omens point to Zeppelin world tour

LED ZEPPELIN have given the strongest hint yet that they are planning a world tour - likely to be the biggest in the history of rock music.

Jimmy Page, the band's lead guitarist, said in Tokyo on Monday that the band was ready to reunite and prepare for a series of events as soon as they had tied up individual projects.

Speculation about a tour has been mounting since the group performed a reunion concert before 22,000 fans at London's O2 centre in December.

"The amount of work we put into O2 was what you would normally put into a world tour anyway," Page, 64, said of the intense rehearsing the band did for the one-off gig.

The band's three surviving members - Page, singer Robert Plant and keyboard and bass player John Paul Jones - were joined at the sold-out benefit show by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

Page, who was in Japan to promote the new Zeppelin release, Mothership, said the two-hour-plus concert, which he called "brilliant", was proof that Led Zeppelin, which formed in 1968, could still perform at its best.

He said the band was ready musically to get back together but it was not clear when they would go on tour as the singer had other plans.

"Robert Plant has a parallel project and he is busy with that until September," Page said.

Plant and the bluegrass star Alison Krauss will begin their world tour with a run of shows in the southern US in the northern spring. The two singers released an album in October called Raising Sand that debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the US. The duo will tour Europe in May before returning for North American shows still to be announced for June and July.

Page said the band had set their standards high before agreeing to do the reunion, their first in 20 years. Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after John Bonham's death. Page said they had rehearsed for weeks, apprehensive that the cohesion they had enjoyed in the 1970s when they were at their peak might be hard to rediscover.

"We wanted people who might not have even have been alive in 1980 when we finished to understand what we were," he said.

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places, forcing the band to postpone the show for several weeks. "But we did the show, and it was great."

So far, insiders say Robert's still saying no.

How many threads have I posted this in tonight? :lol:

About a hundred perhaps!!! :lol: :lol:

No matter how many times or ways you say it (NOTHING IS IN THE WORKS AT THIS TIME!!), the tour "it's going to happen" threads just keep popping up. Sometimes, I feel as if my head is going to explode...:lol: Do we still have the exploding emoticons anywhere. :D

- one billion people (like a sixth of the human population on planet earth) tried to sign up for the Ahmet tribute show.

- jimmy page said he is ready for a world tour now and we should assume JPJ and Jason are too

- led zeppelin are going to tour the globe and make some stops at the biggest music festivals in the world such as glastonbury and bonnaroo.

- the tour will promptly begin immediately in Sept. 2008, once Robert is done with his touring commitments with Allison Krauss. What does he care, he'll tour all year round. He's only 60.

- the band will gross well over $2 billion dollars when its all said and done.

what else do we got here???

- one billion people (like a sixth of the human population on planet earth) tried to sign up for the Ahmet tribute show.

- jimmy page said he is ready for a world tour now and we should assume JPJ and Jason are too

- led zeppelin are going to tour the globe and make some stops at the biggest music festivals in the world such as glastonbury and bonnaroo.

- the tour will promptly begin immediately in Sept. 2008, once Robert is done with his touring commitments with Allison Krauss. What does he care, he'll tour all year round. He's only 60.

- the band will gross well over $2 billion dollars when its all said and done.

what else do we got here???

How about the tale of major venues being reserved for a concert by a "mega" group this yearl-these venues include Giants Stadium, MSG, Wembly?

And what's that old saying about never assuming?? :lol:

From Ireland Online Jan. 30, 2008

"Plant hints at full Led Zeppelin tour

28/01/2008 - 2:14:48 PM

Robert Plant has further fuelled speculation Led Zeppelin will launch a full reunion tour this year - by replying "you never know" when asked if the road show is going ahead."

this isn't a definite no. from him it's on the positive side.

About as many as I have :lol:

About a hundred perhaps!!! :lol: :lol:

No matter how many times or ways you say it (NOTHING IS IN THE WORKS AT THIS TIME!!), the tour "it's going to happen" threads just keep popping up. Sometimes, I feel as if my head is going to explode...:lol: Do we still have the exploding emoticons anywhere. :D

You're right - no matter who says it or how many times it's said, we get lambasted for being killjoys or pessimists, rather than just being realistic and dealing with the FACTS as they stand today. It's utterly exhausting ain't it?

Oh my goodness, the exploding emoticon :boohoo: I miss that too. Sam!!!!! We need our moties man :lol:

And the bang your head against the wall. That's my motie of the week.

Archived