Tour over Europe 1980 best of

godzilla777

SIBLY is consistently played below average on this tour, however Brussels, Hannover and Munich's versions seem to rise above. The other end of the spectrum finds both Mannheim performances and Berlin. Tea for One or I'm Gonna Crawl would have served better by this point.

I agree whole-heartedly. A fast number like Walter's Walk would have been great.

:yesnod:

SIBLY is consistently played below average on this tour, however Brussels, Hannover and Munich's versions seem to rise above. The other end of the spectrum finds both Mannheim performances and Berlin. Tea for One or I'm Gonna Crawl would have served better by this point.

Edited by Sue Dounim

I have two shows from this tour, Vienna & Frankfurt and both are great shows. Frankfurt in particular is fantastic and Jimmy's playing is near perfect in most of the songs. If they could have played at this level (Frankfurt) consistently on the NA tour dates, the 80'-81' shows would have been awesome.

Sadly, and most likely, that would not have been the case, and Jimmy probably would have OD'd ala The Ox mid-tour if Bonham would not have beat him to it.

Anyway, I liked this tour and their approach in general, though they needed to just the setlist. The songs were fine but the order of Rain Song, Hot Dog, All My Love was a dumb choice.

The suggestions to play Tea For One or Walter's Walk are really good, also I'm Gonna Crawl. But also why not Carouselambra ???

I kind of heard that the band was not making anything close to their previous efforts to present new or old material live that hadn't

been played before. TKAR I'm not counting because any bar band could nail that song in a half hour. I also want to know, of all

of you who are so fond of the 80' shows, how often do you listen to them ??? More or less than the 77' shows, or the 75' shows ???

I listen to one to two 1980 shows a week. Seems crazy but whatever floats your boat...

I also listen to at least one 1977 show a week, then likely one 1972 show and one 1975 show a month. After that sprinkle a little '69 occasionally...

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2015 at 4:20 PM, The Old Hermit said:

Was it specifically a warm-up for the North American tour that was to have followed? When the European tour was planned, I'm under the impression it was more to ease Percy into getting back on the road; at that point in time (Spring 1980), he was pretty adamant about not returning to the United States, not after the events of '77. I'm pretty certain Peter Grant had one eye on Europe and fingers crossed behind his back with the other eye on Zep's biggest touring market if all went well by July. As it happened, it went as well as expected and Percy subsequently conceded to the North American tour, albeit with the well-documented conditions attached... alas, it was never to be...

I've gained a newfound appreciation for the Tour Over Europe of late, I used to think it was the sound of a band in the throes of disintegration, but when you watch and listen to the recordings - both audio and 8mm film - of some of that tour's shows, you clearly see a band enjoying themselves and still getting a kick out of playing together, sure both Bonzo and Pagey were in pretty poor physical shape at that point, and which clearly had a detrimental effect on both men's playing on some nights, but the spirit was still strong even if the flesh was weak. The band may have trimmed the onstage fat built up over the 1970's, but as the 8mm footage from that tour demonstrates, they were still determined to put on a visually engaging show; the lighting set-up on that tour was one of the best of any LZ tour; spectacular yet tasteful.

It's sad and lamentable that the North American tour never happened, it would have been a mighty interesting point in the band's history, but I just can't shake the feeling that had it went ahead, Bonzo wouldn't have returned home alive; separated from his beloved family again for an entire month, depressed and anxious, and with all the temptations of the road at his disposal, I think his drinking would have escalated further to kamikaze levels, and he would have been found dead in his hotel room... either way, his days were numbered, as was the band's.

What conditions were attached?

• 3 months later...

I actually made my own Tour Over Europe compilation as well! :) I really have to thank Sue for her list there. It's really well done and I used it as a guide when I put this together. I made a few changes (SIBLY from Frankfurt, ALS from Zurich, Stairway from Mannheim, Heartbreaker from Rotterdam, and WLL from Berlin), but apart from that the tracklisting is basically the same. Unfortunately, I had to eliminate Stairway since YouTube always manages to block that!

And here's a Google Drive link with all the songs available to download (including Stairway): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RsGPsOrCg4XBSJocIVfO0qv9wh7vJ_Ht?usp=sharing

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2018 at 8:41 AM, ZepHead315 said:

I actually made my own Tour Over Europe compilation as well! :) I really have to thank Sue for her list there. It's really well done and I used it as a guide when I put this together. I made a few changes (SIBLY from Frankfurt, ALS from Zurich, Stairway from Mannheim, Heartbreaker from Rotterdam, and WLL from Berlin), but apart from that the tracklisting is basically the same. Unfortunately, I had to eliminate Stairway since YouTube always manages to block that!

And here's a Google Drive link with all the songs available to download (including Stairway): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RsGPsOrCg4XBSJocIVfO0qv9wh7vJ_Ht?usp=sharing

Hi mate. Any chance of a new link for the audio? Cheers

8 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Sorry I don't have the files anymore. I'm actually working on a revised version of this compilation. I'll be sure to post it and a download link once I've finished working on it.

Not a problem mate. I’ll look forward to hearing it 

On June 26, 2019 at 11:00 AM, Night_flight3030 said:

I personally thought Led Zeppelin was going back to raw power back in the 1980 tour. In the evening live was spectacular, as was Trampled Underfoot. Led Zeppelin was going to blow new wave and punk rock out of the water. 

They had the raw power on the first three songs, trampled underfoot and in the evening. All they needed to do was retire several songs and add several more old songs and then they could have "cut the waffle".