New Remastered Vinyl VS Original

ODD1991

Hey guys, I love vinyl and Zeppelin so I want to build on my vinyl collection with some great albums. Ive got an original Zeppelin 3 12" and love the thing to death. Ive been looking on eBay etc. for the old original stuff and then noticed I could get the new remastered vinyl for around the same price when its released in June.

I know it may be hard to compare as they haven't been heard yet but whats your guys thoughts on the two?

Any opinions would be great.

Owen

A true completist, such as myself, would want both. There is something very special about owning an original pressing, the way it was first heard, and produced, including the art. Of course, new remasters, with bonus material, is pretty alluring too. For me, it's both. If I was you, and I could only choose one, it would be the remasters. Always keep them clean, and in good shape, in proper record bags, so that they hold their value, or appreciate in value. I have well over 100 various pressings of the 10 LZ albums, with the remasters on order.

I have the various 70's issues of each album and will be purchasing all of the remastered vinyl.

As far as which one you should get, think about it this way. The remastered ones should be guaranteed to play without issue, and if not they should/can be returned. Used records aren't as easy/not worth it to return if there's damage to the album. Ebay is always a gamble, and even if you find one that looks pristine it could have groove damage. Having said that, though, buying used vinyl is always fun. The hunt can be the best part.

It also depends if you're a stickler for "original" pressings, all analog pressings, also what your tolerance to vinyl playback noise is. For people that cant stand an album that has a few pops or crackle, new is the way to go.

Thanks both for your replies, WOW, Dark Lord over 100 pressings! thats very impressive. As for the remasters i just hope they dont lose out on the "character" from the original recordings. I would like to own a new Zeppelin record that is mine from new that i can treat like a round shaped child haha, Man oh Man these decisions aint easy!

and theres the Deluxe versions! my God why do they do this to us, £90 may be off putting though,

Thanks both for your replies, WOW, Dark Lord over 100 pressings! thats very impressive.

Most of them are Canadian pressings, and no two are the same. Some were extremely limited. I've been collecting vinyl for 40 years, and I think you should not limit your enjoyment of the various options available to you. Get the Deluxes now, and buy original pressings over the years to come. I have been collecting some groups for years and years, and still have yet to complete their vinyl library. Look at this as a long term project, and when you get the itch, hunt out your latest desire. Vinyl collecting is an awesome pass time, and a great reprieve from the workaday world.

Thanks both for your replies, WOW, Dark Lord over 100 pressings! thats very impressive. As for the remasters i just hope they dont lose out on the "character" from the original recordings. I would like to own a new Zeppelin record that is mine from new that i can treat like a round shaped child haha, Man oh Man these decisions aint easy!

and theres the Deluxe versions! my God why do they do this to us, £90 may be off putting though,

Look up the price of original first pressings!!!!! If I were you I would go with the new deluxe versions. As it has been said, any problem take it back to the record shop.....try doing that if you buy something on ebay from 3,000 miles away.

In my experience there is nothing like the original pressings. To know that you are holding and listening to something that was in the shops when the band was in existence is priceless.They were also made and mastered when the industry was at the top of its game.

The only down side is going to be the price.Zeppelin first pressings are astronomical compared to a few years ago!

Happy hunting!

In my experience there is nothing like the original pressings. To know that you are holding and listening to something that was in the shops when the band was in existence is priceless.They were also made and mastered when the industry was at the top of its game.

The only down side is going to be the price.Zeppelin first pressings are astronomical compared to a few years ago!

Happy hunting!

Thanks again for your opinions guys, I absolutely get what Andrew is saying and i actually purchased a LZ 2 A1 pressing on eBay for £14 delivered, the guy says it plays well just hope hes telling the truth, i am definately getting the deluxes aswel just need to shift some other stuff to make room and funding

I have an original pressing of the fourth album (paid £1.00 for it at a flea market!) and it sounds way better than my 1980's pressing. My pressings of Presence, ITTOD and CODA all sound way better than my 1990's Marino CD's too. CODA especially sounds lame.

I'm going vinyl all the way with these new ones, assuming the first three sound good and from the snippets I've heard so far - they do.

The holy grail of course, is finding an original Bob Ludwig pressing of Zep II. Until then, my needle drop CD will have to do. :tears:

Archived