jim6225

Suing Led Zeppelin-especially over stairway-people are gonna hate this guy! Bad move man.

Especially something as BS as what this guy is pulling.

Edited by JLee93

I'm really upset with the Mark Andes and Randy California Estate over this frivolous law suit. They are effectively going to hold up the release of the material for the writing credit. I suppose they think a quick settlement will net them some cash. Really oily if you ask me. I hope Zep’s lawyers dig in their heels. I can wait for my copy.

Totally agreed. I would rather see them fight this all the way and wait for my copy. It may be moot though because I just read that the involved lawyer is in trouble over some bad behavior during a suit against Usher and the judge in that case is recommending that he be disbarred.

Lets hope that puts the kibosh on it. Enough! If Jimmy's lawyers threaten to countersue for a frivolous lawsuit, maybe they'd drop it. They should drop it, because even if the Spirit folks truly thought part of their original riff was lifted (though that's doubtful), Randy is on record for saying Zep could "have it", and they know it. Frivolous!

Nice article :goodpost: . Just like we all figured, hes an ambulance chaser.

One thing that bugs me about this whole thing is the way its characterized by the media. Even in this article there's a head line saying read bout Led Zeppelin accused of stealing famous Stairway To Heaven track. When regular folks read stuff like that they get the impression that Zeppelin "stole" the whole song lock, stock and barrel and renamed it Stairway in some attempt to fool people into thinking it was their own.

Well I'm here to tell ya! it Is!!!.

Written Simpsons quote:

http://ledzeppelinreferences.com/sites/simpsons.php

The only video I found is in Spanish! There is just too little of this stuff, for them to say such thing, especially when a typicall thing is like the intro in Bring it on home(they could have left the intro out easily), or various blues lyrics in The lemon song! Like I said, it's only a few songs and little bits in others and it's almost all limited to first two albums and when you look at II, it's already got tons of original stuff!

Nice article :goodpost: . Just like we all figured, hes an ambulance chaser.

One thing that bugs me about this whole thing is the way its characterized by the media. Even in this article there's a head line saying read bout Led Zeppelin accused of stealing famous Stairway To Heaven track. When regular folks read stuff like that they get the impression that Zeppelin "stole" the whole song lock, stock and barrel and renamed it Stairway in some attempt to fool people into thinking it was their own.

Well I'm here to tell ya! it Is!!!.

You're right here. I've had people show me that, or headlines like that, asking me how they got away with stealing someone else's song for so long. I don't think this is damaging Zepp's reputation per se, but I do wish papers would be more careful about how they word things. They didn't steal the song at all, they should make that clearer.

If this gets to court and Malofiy wind, I'd be very surprised. I don't think we need to worry too much.

This lawsuit will crash and burn like the Hindenburg. The Zeppelin haters will store this one in their quiver to bring it out on occasion and trash the greats. They will hide behind their anonymity and continue to condecend. The mainsteam media will sometimes help to do so if it makes a good headline. The power of the music will have the ultimate effect though and I suspect also that this will fade as the magic of Led Zeppelin unfolds again. Reproduced by the master...

Mick Wall, author of When Giants Walked the Earth, weighs in. Well said IMO:

So the bass player in Spirit is trying to sue Zeppelin because he says that the dreary, unheard of ‘Taurus’ was the big influence on ‘Stairway To Heaven’. What a load of money-grabbing bollocks. As I said on the BBC World Service yesterday, comparing the simplistic, instrumental ‘Taurus’ to the monolithic, groundbreaking and lyrically magnificent ‘Stairway To Heaven’ is like comparing a garden shed to a cathedral….

...But the point holds true: Jimmy Page is hardly the only artist to find ‘inspiration’ from underneath his nose.

http://mickwall.com/?p=206

Well I have lost any amount of respect i ever had for Spirit now. Great job guys. Wait like 40 years and randomly claim you were ripped off. Somebody must be desperate for some cash...

Mick Wall, author of When Giants Walked the Earth, weighs in. Well said IMO:

http://mickwall.com/?p=206

Mick Wall also said in his WGWTE book says......"Taurus" a short instrumental which does contain a brief passage that bears a passing resemblance to the opening lines of "Stairway"........If Page..... was influenced by the guitar chords on "Taurus" what he did was the equivalent of taking the wood from a shed and building it into a cathedral.................

I first heard "Taurus" almost forty years ago, I have always thought the two songs shared similarities, not that they were the same just similar.... Do I think Page should be sued? Of course not.

Excellent researching. That video alone should be enough to knock this ridiculous claim out of the ball park. Though in reality it would probably just turn in to a litigation clusterf**k with everyone suing everyone else for a piece of the pie.

Thanks. Ultimately, you can't copyright a chord progression, which is the case here. Would be very surprised if they (Spirit) win this case and if they do I should think it would open the floodgates and set a dangerous precedence.

I had not listened to Spirit's tune in quite some time. I had dinner with friends last night and decided to come home and give another listen. As a paralegal, I feel the suit will be dismissed. Just found the attached article....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverherzfeld/2014/05/21/spirit-v-led-zeppelin-analysis-of-the-stairway-to-heaven-infringement-lawsuit/

Apparently the judge blasted Spirit's lawyer. Now look, I am all for giving artist's credit, and Jimmy was a bit of a jerk in 68 for things like "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Dazed and Confused."

Its good Holmes and Baez got credit there. This is a different thing entirely, though. Jimmy surely was influenced by "Taurus", but he changed the riff enough to the point where it is quite different. The rest of the song also could not be more different. You cannot honestly say "Taurus" and "Stairway" are similar in any capacity as songs.

Methinks this Mark Andes fellow is trying to cash in on anything he can get his grubby hands on - now he's suing the RORHOF for using his image during Heart's induction last year despite he and another member not being themselves inducted. Why wait a year to sue?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/heart-members-sue-rock-roll-hall-fame-article-1.1802176