jim6225

I think the main thing here is that regardless of some minor POSSIBLY murky defendant "isms", the judge himself

from the start realized the preposterous nature of this case and was quickly practically obstructing the plaintiffs.

As he should. Actually maybe in the future when Page or Plant (Jones too)  decompress, this thing may actually 

be a source of hilarity and totally misplaced effort from the plaintiffs. On cheapness, pretty sure Jimmy threw

a huge bash for Charlotte's 30th birthday, but those were the heroin days, he wasn't even present. As far as sweet

loyalty, even addicted, etc., Charlotte got some debilitating illness, and even though they were drifting apart, Jimmy

said he felt an obligation to take care of her, I find that very admirable, regardless of other indiscretions.

23 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

the judge himself from the start realized the preposterous nature of this case and was quickly practically obstructing the plaintiffs. As he should.

Maybe, but then why would he even let the case go to trial in the first place? Another possibility is that the judge was aware of the antics of the plaintiff's lawyer and tried to allow him very little latitude to engage in those antics. After all, if he didn't know what kind of clownish buffoon of a lawyer he was dealing with before this case, he must have when he got the legal filings printed out in the Led Zeppelin font.

5 hours ago, Balthazor said:

That may be, but I was talking more about the charities than Pages personal finances. Wolfe's sisters are out there crying as if losing this lawsuit is going to deny their great and wonderful charity all this money with which to help so many children. It came off to me like they were saying "these evil greedy rich rock stars are hurting the children!" I was just pointing out that Page has been involved with a children's charity which kinda makes the Randy California Project pale by comparison. Or, in short, that Randy's gorgon sisters can go stuff it. :)

And also add in Jimmy's generosity got him recognition from Queen Elizabeth.:D

53 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

And also add in Jimmy's generosity got him recognition from Queen Elizabeth.:D

Indeed, whereas the Randy California Project got the recognition of...well...probably less than a dozen people in the entire world up until this trial occurred.

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-news/spirit-attorney-says-they-will-appeal-led-zeppelin-ruling

Somebody tell me the court will shut this down and tell Malofiy to get a new hobby.  

Francis and Skidmore are putting on their big boy underpants,  and are appealing.  Malofiy
hinted at this the moment the jury sided with Led Zeppelin,  so this is not shocking to read.

It's a copyright infringement case where Led Zeppelin were proven innocent.  It's not a child
killing rapist case where somebody got off on a technicality and it's being appealed  because
you want  to make sure the sicko goes to prison.  No these are people who  want  Jimmy Page
and Robert Plant to pad their wallet.  

Where is Randy's son in all of this?  Randy's trust and who is in charge sounds like it's a mess.  
Shouldn't things  be in his sons name.   I haven't followed up on this when skimming through
the court docs. that were linked to us,  so maybe the answers are there.

I guess these idiots have tons of money to waste trying to milk money they didn' t earn. Gold digging losers with ZERO talent of their own. They need to face the fact that they lost, let it go, and get a job, instead of trying to extort Zeppelin with sob stories from 45 years ago...the songs sound nothing alike, not even the 3 notes (!) in question. They only wish Taurus sounded anything like Stairway...

Edited by Tea41

Did Led Zeppelin really win this case on a technicality, like Malofiy is claiming?   I thought the judge just followed the rules and procedures of a standard copy write infringement case and it's not like he gave special treatment to Page & Plant because they are big rock stars.  

Anyway, I think that appealing this case and having the jury's verdict overturned would be very difficult. 

Edited by ZepDomi

5 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

It's not a child killing rapist case where somebody got off on a technicality and it's being appealed  because you want  to make sure the sicko goes to prison.

Just wanted to nitpick, but the example you're describing is "double-jeopardy" and can't happen in a criminal trial.

2 hours ago, ZepDomi said:

Did Led Zeppelin really win this case on a technicality, like Malofiy is claiming?   I thought the judge just followed the rules and procedures of a standard copy write infringement case and it's not like he gave special treatment to Page & Plant because they are big rock stars.  

Anyway, I think that appealing this case and having the jury's verdict overturned would be very difficult. 

I would agree. There would have to be some basis for appeal beyond what Malofiy is whining about. If the sheet music was all that was filed for the Taurus copyright then that should be all that can legally be used. I can't imagine any judge allowing an appeal to go forward based only on that.

Bear in mind that just because Malofiy said on some talk show that they were going to appeal doesn't necessarily make it true. The guy is clearly a loose cannon, and could just be mouthing off to keep his name in the news. Until there's some kind of official confirmation I'd take anything he says with a planet-sized grain of salt.

On 6/24/2016 at 1:02 PM, AnotherNewMember said:

Did Led Zeppelin really win this case on a technicality, like Malofiy is claiming?

Yes, The technicality in question is the fact that Stairway and Taurus are not the same.

4 minutes ago, juxtiphi said:

Yes, The technicality in question is the fact that Stairway and Taurus are not the same.

:hysterical:   It's so pathetic. four $@% notes that aren't played the same way, don't sound very similar and go off in different directions.  This whole thing is an unholy farce, except maybe for this great discussion we've been having.  I just re-read through, and this thread has been quite a good read.  Thank you everyone!!

54 minutes ago, Balthazor said:

Just wanted to nitpick, but the example you're describing is "double-jeopardy" and can't happen in a criminal trial.

Oh no of course not. Haha :lol: Just being 'over dramatic' with the whole child rapist appeal
example.  Civil and criminal cases most definitely different.  A bit over the top on how Malofiy
and  his client are playing up the  Randy was a victim of those evil meanies Jimmy Page and
Robert Plant, and now they are getting away with their awful misdeeds.  

1 hour ago, KellyGirl said:

Oh no of course not. Haha :lol: Just being 'over dramatic' with the whole child rapist appeal
example.  Civil and criminal cases most definitely different.  A bit over the top on how Malofiy
and  his client are playing up the  Randy was a victim of those evil meanies Jimmy Page and
Robert Plant, and now they are getting away with their awful misdeeds.  

Was any less ever expected?

If Malofiy does file to appeal, the Zep attorneys would likely file what is called a vexatious litigant motion to quash the appeal. Since the vexatious litigant argument originated in California to stop such ridiculous appeals, they (Zep) would likely prevail. BTW this was around for years but only applied during existing cases, now it is being applied to cases of appeal as well.

The only way for an appeal to move forward would be if new evidence were also presented which would further shed light on the case, however that evidence would have to be considered compelling and essential to the plaintiff, and, the plaintiffs would have to prove they did not have access to this evidence before or during the original trial. The other instance for appeal would be procedural and have to prove the judge screwed up during the trial or during jury instructions.

You cannot appeal a case simply because you lost, otherwise, any wealthy litigant (either plaintiff or defense) could keep a verdict at bay indefinitely, or, until the Supreme Court decided to hear it. That would really muck up the system even worst than it already is. Also, if you attempt to appeal based on procedural error (judge's fault) you damn well better have proof, otherwise not only will it be denied, but, you might as well never litigate a case in that state again as judges are a notoriously prickly lot. Just ask Donald Trump as he is finding this out the hard way. 

Edited by IpMan

This whole thing was bizarre from the start, yet the case was allowed to go forward anyway. Some have mentioned

some great points about the appeal thing just not going anywhere. I agree, but how the HELL did it go to trial

anyway ?? M( the plaintiff's lawyer) maybe wants to get some settlement from Zep, threatening an appeal ??

IMO this is a nuisance which has tremendous odds at this point from succeeding.

That says it all! Spirit, not Zeppelin, has some serious egg on their face now. They lose what proved to be a silly case, then the laywer gets suspended, hilarious! Proves what a complete clusterf@ck this whole Taurus-Stairway lawsuit, Skidmore, and Malofiy are, he's such a douche nozzle it's has become comical. If this isn't full vindication for the Zep boys, I don't know what is..they come out looking clean as a whistle with a cherry on top. You know Zep is laughing right now, not to mention the likely increase in  Stairway's sales from all the media coverage. People are undoubtedly rediscovering how great of a song it truly is.

Edited by Tea41

Zep did "give in" and settle on other plagiarism suits - to use a harsh word - in the past.  

A musician I have worked with - who is not a big LZ fan due to precisely that aspect - had an interesting theory he floated by me in the last month:  JPJ really did not approve of "sampling" (kinder word).   Bonzo just ran with it, with Page and Plant having absolutely no problems with it. 

Hence, Jimmy's own joking words, "If you see JPJ, shoot him on sight".  JPJ really isolated himself for some reason - and don't shoot ME - but maybe that was why. 

p.s.  This is deep speculation, but I wonder if the threat of something hanging over their heads had something to do with Plant's sale of his Zeppelin copyright.  

Edited by ZepRon
Jack Handy Deep Thought