Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

1,021 posts in this topic

Just read that Jimmy was seen carrying a guitar into court today.  Very interesting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Page and Plant are in town together, they should throw together a little concert, maybe a acoustic show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't plagiarism in Stairway.

But there are in other cases.

Were they ever sued in these blatant plagiarisms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, boylollipop said:

There isn't plagiarism in Stairway.

But there are in other cases.

Were they ever sued in these blatant plagiarisms?

Yes and they settled out of court

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Strider said:

So...I am down at the courthouse this morning going thru the security checkpoint. Taking off my shoes and the whole bit. Then the guy asks for my ID and that's when I discover to my horror that in my haste this morning to get down to the courtroom, I had forgotten to grab my wallet out of the pants I wore yesterday. They would not let me in.

Unfortunately I have to work the rest of the week so unless it drags on, today was my only chance to go in person.

I know your heart sunk when you realized you had forgotten your wallet. :(  Hopefully you'll get a second chance to go. 

2 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Decent article about the day's events at court:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/06/15/led-zeppelin-leaders-face-questions-over-stairway-origins/85916506/

Best part:

" As the opening minutes of Stairway to Heaven were played, Plant looked at the jury and Page nodded his head to the tune. "

What a moment, I would have loved to be in the room to observe the faces of everyone listening to STH.  I suspect a majority wanted to listen to it in its entirety. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The questioning of Page drew laughs several times, like when Malofiy  asked him if he was a session musician. Page told the court he began playing guitar at age 12.

 

"Later on you had a gift of playing the guitar?" Malofiy asked.

 

Page broke into a wide smile and said, "Well, yeah." The gallery on both sides in the courtroom erupted in laughter.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/15/media/jimmy-page-stairway-to-heaven-trial/index.html

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you forgot your wallet, Strider.  But at least it seems, you didn't miss much.  Perhaps, your employer can give you the next few days off and know what takes precedence.  That was too funny outside the courthouse!  Just classic and you can't make this stuff up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ddladner said:

I know your heart sunk when you realized you had forgotten your wallet. :(  Hopefully you'll get a second chance to go. 

What a moment, I would have loved to be in the room to observe the faces of everyone listening to STH.  I suspect a majority wanted to listen to it in its entirety. :) 

I wonder if a juror would have asked to play the live TSRTS version, if the plaintiff would have requested an alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been following this in the news and on this forum.  All I have to say (so far) is that this "trial" is completely absurd. 

What is it?  About 30 seconds to maybe a minute of a beginning guitar structure and this "syshter" of a lawyer wants a whole piece of the Greatest Song of All-Time? 

Randy California has been dead for decades and this lawyer wants to sue Jimmy and Robert for a brief guitar finger-picking bit after 45 years? 

Alas, who goes to the trial of this magnitude and forgets to bring their wallet for identification and whatever.  Most wallets contain money and a drivers license.  Me, personally, have never left my abode without My wallet.  I, personally, find it strange that this person who has said that he remembers seeing Led Zeppelin over 50 times in the 1970's, somehow forgets to take his wallet with him on a day that would require proof of identity, especially after what tragically happened in Orlando, Florida. 

Yes, Strider, I am referring to you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if that is a rule with all courts but Federal Court buildings required it many years ago.   Even if it's different departments not associated with court.   Can't remember last time I was at the local / justice court but pretty sure they never asked for ID, because I remember putting my wallet in my shoes going into X-ray machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

Not sure if that is a rule with all courts but Federal Court buildings required it many years ago.   Even if it's different departments not associated with court.   Can't remember last time I was at the local / justice court but pretty sure they never asked for ID, because I remember putting my wallet in my shoes going into X-ray machine

Post 9/11, there are protocols that require identification whenever entering a "federal" building.  Like I said, in this case of a certain magnitude, and with the defendants being Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, there will be a lot of restrictions of who can enter the courthouse and courtroom. 

For someone as beloved on this forum as Strider, to "forget" to bring his wallet, money and identification, to such a signification ordeal as this, makes Me question everything that he has ever posted.  It is one thing to say that you were there, but it is another to actually prove that you were there. 

How is it that Strider forgot to take money and a valid ID when he left home to go to a trial concerning Jimmy Page and Robert Plant? 

I know that you will read this, so please explain your inconsistencies.  No ID, no money, but you had the space to see a member of Spirit. 

Edited by kingzoso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think parking is free anywhere in that area, maybe pocket change ?

I've forgotten my wallet several times even when attempting to pay when leaving a store.     Worst occasion was I could not find it at all and had to call my bank to report my cards stolen...lol   Then 15 minutes later I forgot I left wallet in my car in the compartment under the radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Alas, who goes to the trial of this magnitude and forgets to bring their wallet for identification and whatever.  Most wallets contain money and a drivers license.  Me, personally, have never left my abode without My wallet.  I, personally, find it strange that this person who has said that he remembers seeing Led Zeppelin over 50 times in the 1970's, somehow forgets to take his wallet with him on a day that would require proof of identity, especially after what tragically happened in Orlando, Florida. 

Yes, Strider, I am referring to you. 

 

These things do happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I have been following this in the news and on this forum.  All I have to say (so far) is that this "trial" is completely absurd. 

What is it?  About 30 seconds to maybe a minute of a beginning guitar structure and this "syshter" of a lawyer wants a whole piece of the Greatest Song of All-Time? 

Randy California has been dead for decades and this lawyer wants to sue Jimmy and Robert for a brief guitar finger-picking bit after 45 years? 

Alas, who goes to the trial of this magnitude and forgets to bring their wallet for identification and whatever.  Most wallets contain money and a drivers license.  Me, personally, have never left my abode without My wallet.  I, personally, find it strange that this person who has said that he remembers seeing Led Zeppelin over 50 times in the 1970's, somehow forgets to take his wallet with him on a day that would require proof of identity, especially after what tragically happened in Orlando, Florida. 

Yes, Strider, I am referring to you. 

 

Kingoxoxo(sic)  You come across to me as a bit of a nasty piece of work, a guy who is unquestionably never wrong. Stop being so arrogantly rude...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cookie0024 said:

These things do happen

I realize that these things do happen, but how dumb do you have to be to forget something as important and significant as your wallet, money and identification when trying  to attend an event as significant as this?   To me, common sense should prepare you to think ahead of time so such a basic task as bringing your wallet (anywhere) is ingrained in your head.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have left my wallet in various places over the years. So much so that Mrs CP bought me a shoulder bag to keep it in.

I have also left my passport in a Bank in Bordeaux and hitched to the south of France, left my golf putter at home and played golf and had to use a fairway wood to putt. Left my keys in the house as I shut the door.

These things do happen. Strider is a good friend of mine and I would never question his integrity. Sometimes common sense doesn't prevail in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when Page said in court about Taurus, that he hadn't heard it and wasn't aware of it until just recently, did he mean in the same way that he'd never heard of Jake Holmes and I'm Confused until that got into court as well?

I'm not in favour of this lawsuit but it cant be denied that he has previous form for pilfering stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jsj said:

when Page said in court about Taurus, that he hadn't heard it and wasn't aware of it until just recently, did he mean in the same way that he'd never heard of Jake Holmes and I'm Confused until that got into court as well?

I'm not in favour of this lawsuit but it cant be denied that he has previous form for pilfering stuff

It can't be denied that they heard and took Dazed and Confused, but this case involves Stairway To Heaven.

Could be that they heard Taurus, but all they can do is demonstrate the similar intros, but claiming they stole the song is way too much of a stretch.

Nice try, but no Spirit .

Edited by The Pagemeister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its enough to drag Robert and Jimmy half was across the world into a court room that will be a circus atmosphere no doubt.  I just hope its tossed.  This band was not going to create  Stairway to Haven, no way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I doubt they stole it and if they did, then they enhanced it enough to make it it's own entity.

but, it just seems like yet another denial from Page ala D&C denials which were clearly untrue. they played with Spirit, covered one of their songs live, and (if I remember rightly) he said in the past he liked them, and yet Page claims not to have heard the Spirit album until fairly recently. now this may well be true, but given his past "form" its quite likely isnt.

I heard mention of the case on the radio this morning and they mentioned his previous "form" and settled lawsuits. not that previous cases should really influence this one, it should stand on its own merit, but what I'm getting at is that he has gathered himself quite a reputation for outright denials only to concede in or outside court

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter how it turns out in a court of law, which I have little respect for anyway, Stairway to Heaven will alway be a Led Zeppelin song to me and my favorite song.  I do not imagine anyone playing it like Jimmy and Robert and i have heard some decent covers of it over the years.  It belongs to them and to the ages.  It is the best rock anthem ever made

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now