REMASTERED LED ZEPPELIN I: Post Your Reactions/Reviews Here

Strider

Zep1box.jpg

Since people have been talking about already receiving their Led Zeppelin remastered sets, I guess it is time to set up separate threads for us to discuss each album's merits and our thoughts and reviews on the music, the bonus tracks, the remastering job, the packaging, all the bells and whistles...pro and con.

This is the Led Zeppelin "I" thread. Yes, I know it is technically "Led Zeppelin" not Led Zeppelin I, but in the interests of clarity I felt the "I" warranted.

Let me be clear...this is for your reaction to the actual product. Not what you heard on youtube or third-hand from a friend's phone. Also, no press reviews please...there is already a thread for those in the news section. This thread is for us fans on the Forum to discuss the remastered Led Zeppelin I sets once we receive them and have listened to them...hopefully on a good-quality sound system.

i have the deluxe cd.

it's a very good one, i am enjoying it.

but i have a question, On the live material i am hearing the guitar too far, specially compared to the bootleg version.

It's like "buried in the mix".

do you have the same feeling?

When it comes to this album...the original, the originator, all that. Davis' work has pleased me for well over a year with the studio album, no need to rehash that...

Thinking about the "companion disc," though...I have to say that, while before I was more or less open re: releasing an edited version of the Olympia concert, I find myself a little bummed when I listen to it. The mastering is good, and the edits are (at least for the most part) well executed...but something is lost with the cuts to "Heartbreaker" and "How Many More Times," and it feels out-of-place when taken into consideration alongside the "companion discs" for Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III. I haven't listened to all of the Olympia concert; I'm glad it has been officially-released, but it might take a little time to grow on me.

i have the deluxe cd.

it's a very good one, i am enjoying it.

but i have a question, On the live material i am hearing the guitar too far, specially compared to the bootleg version.

It's like "buried in the mix".

do you have the same feeling?

I don't find the guitar any more buried on the official release than the bootleg...maybe what you're hearing is a side-effect of whatever mastering they applied to the digital 24/48 files?

When it comes to this album...the original, the originator, all that. Davis' work has pleased me for well over a year with the studio album, no need to rehash that...

Thinking about the "companion disc," though...I have to say that, while before I was more or less open re: releasing an edited version of the Olympia concert, I find myself a little bummed when I listen to it. The mastering is good, and the edits are (at least for the most part) well executed...but something is lost with the cuts to "Heartbreaker" and "How Many More Times," and it feels out-of-place when taken into consideration alongside the "companion discs" for Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III. I haven't listened to all of the Olympia concert; I'm glad it has been officially-released, but it might take a little time to grow on me.

I don't find the guitar any more buried on the official release than the bootleg...maybe what you're hearing is a side-effect of whatever mastering they applied to the digital 24/48 files?

yeah the guitar can at times be buried, but keep in mind the tapes that jimmy was working with for this: a radio broadcast, not a multitrack recording. Therefore, jimmy couldn't take the source files which he got from the radio station, and say boost a guitar level or boost a vocal level individually, it simply cannot be done. He has made clear that to him this was the best quality recording he had from '69, as he didn't want to just reissue the royal albert hall performance in audio form, although he could have done that and included thank you and heartbreaker from that one and many would have been content.

So you run into stuff like where coming out of the solo in communication breakdown, you have plant's voice SHOOT up in the mix while the music gets significantly lowered, that's stuff jimmy simply couldn't correct. He did do a good job of cleaning up any rough edges and getting the recording to sound as good as possible, and i do appreciate where he was coming from here: capturing led zeppelin at its most primal, slashing, craziest still very much in the embryonic stage of what they would become.

Personally, i love it for what it is: a snapshot of a band in time. I love how during moby dick bonzo just thrashes for all 10 minutes like he's possessed, and how the overhead mics managed to capture his screams and yelps between fills, just a cool little touch for me as i love hearing the beast roar. The whole band is on point, and yeah HMMT is significantly trimmed down while heartbreaker is basically missing most of the unaccompanied solo.

As for the studio part, haven't dug horribly deep but i do like what i'm hearing in terms of just overall clarity of the recording. I've always loved how for a debut album, Led Zep 1 sounds really good from a production standpoint, but chalk that up to mr. page and his years of working as a session player. My listening source for these all is my parents' wood-paneled Bose speakers from circa 1984 running through a JVC receiver from the same era that i restored to working condition a few years back. Very warm sounding old school system, great for listening to older music like this. love the record!

Hearing the new remasters is seriously making me crave to hear the remastered version of I'm Gonna Crawl. Dear oh dear how I cannot wait to hear that crispy, raunchy heart-throbbing guitar solo in high definition.

Hearing the new remasters is seriously making me crave to hear the remastered version of I'm Gonna Crawl. Dear oh dear how I cannot wait to hear that crispy, raunchy heart-throbbing guitar solo in high definition.

Blimey, off topic already.

yeah the guitar can at times be buried, but keep in mind the tapes that jimmy was working with for this: a radio broadcast, not a multitrack recording. Therefore, jimmy couldn't take the source files which he got from the radio station, and say boost a guitar level or boost a vocal level individually, it simply cannot be done. He has made clear that to him this was the best quality recording he had from '69

I don't mind the inclusion of the show, it just...might have been done better. :P The cut in "Heartbreaker" is not the greatest...but, I digress.

About a year?

Blimey, off topic already.

Oh come on. :P

Oh, I forgot to mention that you should feel free to share any photos you take of your Led Zeppelin I sets, what the books look like and the booklets, the joy of you opening the package for the first time, etc. Also, if you care to when you are posting your thoughts, please denote which format of the remasters you got: The Deluxe, the Super Deluxe, CD only, Vinyl only, iTunes, etc.

Uhh is it nineteen seventy-blank again? :lol: What a sh**-headed review.

Here is absolutely the worst review ever of LZ by a "critic". It's amazing that the LA times would even employ a jerk like this.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-ms-led-zeppelin-polishes-its-rockhard-past-20140530-column.html

Hilarious! Check the note sent by one reader, and the "critic's response. Good entertainment value.

Probably the lamest review of Led Zeppelin ever. I wrote the following to the "reviewer". His response follows and is even more pathetic:

It does not surprise me in the least that your review of these remasters completely misses the mark. Before even reading the article, reading your byline and seeing "Pop music critic" I can already guess that this article will seem as though it were written by a high school student as part of their homework assignment.

You don't disappoint my... » more

• 1 hour ago
  • 0 Likes
defaultavatar.png
  • ilevene
  • Rank 0

Here's his response:

His response:

Roberts, Randall

To Me

Today at 2:20 PM

Duly noted, and thanks. Opinions: everyone has them! The difference: mine is published, and yours is headed to the circular file. Have a wonderful day, and thanks for reading all the way through despite yourself. I'll take your advice and start shopping my resume pronto.

Best,

Randall

PS: Deep Purple sucks.

Thanks Strider and can't wait to receive these! Zep III has shipped for me, but the other two not yet. I'm not worried. With great headphones on the way (Audio Technica ATH-M50 at a great price) I can't wait for the unbelievable sonics on these releases. I'm a bit worried with Zep I and the editing of Paris 1969. I can understand editing some of the covers within How Many More Times, but why edit the Heartbreaker solo? :thumbdown: Doesn't make much sense to me...as there are no residuals to be paid on this! But, too late now! :huh: At least I have the radio broadcast (with great sound quality and I'll just insert Moby Dick into this for a full show). :drumz: I'm sure many of you here will do the same. Will be curious to see what the running time is on this companion dvd.

Thanks Strider and can't wait to receive these! Zep III has shipped for me, but the other two not yet. I'm not worried. With great headphones on the way (Audio Technica ATH-M50 at a great price) I can't wait for the unbelievable sonics on these releases. I'm a bit worried with Zep I and the editing of Paris 1969. I can understand editing some of the covers within How Many More Times, but why edit the Heartbreaker solo? :thumbdown: Doesn't make much sense to me...as there are no residuals to be paid on this! But, too late now! :huh: At least I have the radio broadcast (with great sound quality and I'll just insert Moby Dick into this for a full show). :drumz: I'm sure many of you here will do the same. Will be curious to see what the running time is on this companion dvd.

Page edited about 30 seconds out of Heartbreaker, near the beginning of the solo, because it was drenched in some kind of excessive echo. But I agree with you - the edit was not worth the trouble, and it messes up the flow of the track. Otherwise I am 100% fine with the edits they made.

Page edited about 30 seconds out of Heartbreaker, near the beginning of the solo, because it was drenched in some kind of excessive echo. But I agree with you - the edit was not worth the trouble, and it messes up the flow of the track. Otherwise I am 100% fine with the edits they made.

I guess, when I compile this concert, I'll be using my original version as well as HMMT. Not always crazy about some of Jimmy's editing. Glad there was little of this on Celebration Day...at least on the music.

I guess, when I compile this concert, I'll be using my original version as well as HMMT. Not always crazy about some of Jimmy's editing. Glad there was little of this on Celebration Day...at least on the music.

I actually don't mind the edited HMMT. And I also don't mind the small edits in White Summer. I just took the missing 30 seconds of Heartbreaker from the best-sounding bootleg and inserted it into the edited, official version. Now I'm perfectly content with it.

At least you get to listen to yours all 3 super deluxe sets arrived

damaged from amazon (to be fair they are rectifying immediately)

Courier must have played football with the box. A Sabs fan presumably?

Vinyl damaged , corners of boxes bent, ltd art print damaged!

Takes some of the shine off!

At least you get to listen to yours all 3 super deluxe sets arrived

damaged from amazon (to be fair they are rectifying immediately)

Courier must have played football with the box. A Sabs fan presumably?

Vinyl damaged , corners of boxes bent, ltd art print damaged!

Takes some of the shine off!

That is appalling, Andrew! How your spirit must have been crushed when you opened your packages with unbridled excitement only to discover the damaged goods inside. Did you take a photo of the evidence? Would you mind sharing it with the forum so we can see the vile villainy perpetrated by the couriers?

I take it from reading over these threads that the high res files are already available? I'm still waiting to get my albums Tuesday before I listen...with a bottle of Zeppelin wine and a nicely rolled joint.

A question about the Paris Olympia disc: Is it one continuous listen, like on the bootleg? Or did Jimmy separate each song into individual tracks with a fade-in and fade-out between each song? Are there any Plantations?

A note to notfadeaway: You're off-topic. I don't care about some professional critic's opinion...there's already a place for the newspaper and media reviews and Steve A Jones had already posted the LA Times review before I was even awake Sunday (SAJ, do you ever sleep? Haha).

As I thought I had made clear in my original post, this is for us...the regular folk on this forum, whether it be old-timers going through their 10th go-round with the Zeppelin catalogue or the young kids new to Led Zeppelin and having their first experience of buying a Zeppelin album.

It is for discussing your reactions upon listening to these albums...the CDs, the vinyl, the High Res, whatever format...and sharing your emotions and feelings and your critiques, pro and con. What do you like? What do you think could be better?

It is not for posting media links or conjecture about ITTOD or anything other than Led Zeppelin's first album. When the next batch of remasters are released, there will be threads for those albums in due time.

Hilarious! Check the note sent by one reader, and the "critic's response. Good entertainment value.

Probably the lamest review of Led Zeppelin ever. I wrote the following to the "reviewer". His response follows and is even more pathetic:

It does not surprise me in the least that your review of these remasters completely misses the mark. Before even reading the article, reading your byline and seeing "Pop music critic" I can already guess that this article will seem as though it were written by a high school student as part of their homework assignment.

You don't disappoint my... » more

• 1 hour ago
  • 0 Likes
defaultavatar.png
  • ilevene
  • Rank 0

Here's his response:

His response:

Roberts, Randall

To Me

Today at 2:20 PM

Duly noted, and thanks. Opinions: everyone has them! The difference: mine is published, and yours is headed to the circular file. Have a wonderful day, and thanks for reading all the way through despite yourself. I'll take your advice and start shopping my resume pronto.

Best,

Randall

PS: Deep Purple sucks.

:lol: :lol: That's so freaking awesome! Randall The S***head, everybody!

Despite being tempted by the Box sets , they were too expensive for me & I opted for the double CDs & single 180 gram lps. I played the cd first . It sounds much better than my 80s & 90s version , the stereo is spread out more , background is quieter but still hear the little things such as Robert Plant laughing on You Shook Me & the subtle wiped out vocal in Babe I'm gonna Leave You . The whole feel is fresher a bit like comparing a better Blu Ray copy to a previous DVD.

I read something about part of the solo sounding scratchy or something and that's why Page edited it. Could it also be, just a guess here, maybe have been part of ''The 59th Street Bridge Song,'' which Page has edited out of any released, live version of "Heartbreaker?"

My reaction to the remastered Led Zeppelin is this: It sounds fantastic, what I've heard so far. I've only heard a couple songs, mainly been playing Led Zeppelin II. I've had to fight the temptation to flip the songs over backward and start the album with ''Your Time is Gonna Come'' instead of "Good Times, Bad Times'' as the cassette album I had and first heard the album as had the sides flipped. Wasn't until some years later I realized the sides were backward and by then I was too used to it! ugh!! lol!

Archived