Do Stones's fans hate Zeppelin?

It's strange. When visiting a few Rolling Stones fan sites (particularly IORR), I continually encounter constant cheap shots at Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin never wrote their own songs...Page is a hack...Plant is a pussy in a flowered shirt...Bonham is overrated.

Very odd.

Is it simple jealousy? Insecurity? I guess I didn't realize it was impossible to like both groups.

Any theories?

I've seen Keith Richards having a few pops at Zeppelin down the years which probably doesn't help.

I love both bands although The Stones should have jacked it in 40 years ago.

It's strange. When visiting a few Rolling Stones fan sites (particularly IORR), I continually encounter constant cheap shots at Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin never wrote their own songs...Page is a hack...Plant is a pussy in a flowered shirt...Bonham is overrated.

Very odd.

Is it simple jealousy? Insecurity? I guess I didn't realize it was impossible to like both groups.

Any theories?

As opposed to Mick Jagger, who is the epitome of masculinity? :sarcastic_hand::hysterical::shifty::rolleyes:

The same could be said for Who fans...there seems to be a weird rivalry between those who only like the Who and those who only like Zeppelin

(personally, I'm a massive fan of the Who, Zeppelin, AND the Stones so it's all good to me :) )

Probably my two favorite bands ever, but I understand why nobody in the industry likes Zeppelin. They were just the epitome of the 70's, the epitome of rock n roll success and it would be impossible for bands, even like the Stones to produce live what Zeppelin produced. I think nobody likes them because everything about those 10 years and that band were so perfect that it's impossible to be repeated.

Probably my two favorite bands ever, but I understand why nobody in the industry likes Zeppelin. They were just the epitome of the 70's, the epitome of rock n roll success and it would be impossible for bands, even like the Stones to produce live what Zeppelin produced. I think nobody likes them because everything about those 10 years and that band were so perfect that it's impossible to be repeated.

Very well said .

See - Peter Townshend's face in *that* interview

I like both bands. Zep's sound appeals to me even more than the Stones' sound though. Sometimes I wish Jimmy Page had produced a Stones album. I would have liked to hear that!

One of my favorite passages in Keith's book is when he's busted for drugs and wishing he could be tried by a jury of his peers...like, say, Jimmy Page and some other hard partying guitarists. That was pretty funny.

NO.....I love Zeppelin and have an appreciation for the RS!

Me, too.

All the Stones fans I've known, dating back to high school, have respected Zeppelin and appreciated their music. I've also observed that many Stones fans are highly knowledgable about music in general. Several of their fans have told me that they view Zep and it's fanbase as being members of a "huge cult," albeit a benign one. It should be mentioned that serious Stones fans are keenly aware that Zep decisively surpassed "the world's greatest rock n roll band" during the 1970's, both in terms of album sales and concert attendances, and this has undoubtedly caused a tremendous amount of long-lingering resentment and jealously among some fans.

I've only known a handful of Who fans, and some of them despised Zeppelin.

Very odd.

Any theories?

Yes,what a strange thread to start after just 8 posts?

Generally I don't believe so, however a segment of hardcore Stones fans loathe Zeppelin because Zeppelin is more or less considered an equal in popularity and artistic integrity as the Beatles and that is something which that segment of Stones junkies will never forgive Led Zeppelin for becoming. What Zeppelin became knocked the Stones down a rung or two on the ladder in the eyes of the general public.

The Who has a segment of hardcore fans who despise Zeppelin because Zeppelin sort of clipped the wings of The Who as they were becoming known as the world’s band and because of that The Who were never able to get ahead of Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

To my mind the 3 biggest bands ever in terms of popularity and artistic integrity was The Beatles, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.

Zeppelin also created and mastered longer hypnotic popular songs driven by riffs in an age where the critics felt melody and catchy chorus based around a 3 or 4 minute song was better and that really rubbed the music critics the wrong way. So Zeppelin has all sorts of enemies.

I think it's because Zep came later and were heavier. They were considered pretenders to the throne, a vulgar, degraded corruption of the '60s spirit that produced the Beatles, Stones, and The Who. They also had incredibly aggressive and obnoxious management. They did everything bigger, more luxuriously, and seemingly more debaucherously than anyone who'd come before. I don't agree with all of that of course, but I understand it.

Before the 1990s, Zep remained incredibly popular with music fans but incredibly unpopular with the established music press and industry. I remember reading comparative reviews of The Who and Zeppelin as a teenager in the early to mid-1980s in audio magazines like Stereo Review, and even then and there the line was, "The bands were superficially similar, but The Who was clever, nimble and imaginative while Zeppelin was plodding, lumbering and juvenile."

I remember there was excitement about Zep at Live Aid in 1985, and if the reunion set hadn't sucked, the rehabilitation of their image might've started then. But as it was, it was, ironically, MTV that made Zeppelin respectable. The Rockumentary aired in 1990, and I believe the Traveling Riverside Blues video started airing in '93 when the remaster box set came out. Then there was Page & Plant on MTV Unplugged in '94, which I think really cemented their reputations in the mainstream and probably directly led to Zep being voted into the R&R Hall of Fame in '95.

When the DVD came out in 2003, my sense is that at that moment Zep finally achieved a status in the music establishment that they'd always enjoyed among fans. And of course O2 was the capstone.

Generally I don't believe so, however a segment of hardcore Stones fans loathe Zeppelin because Zeppelin is more or less considered an equal in popularity and artistic integrity as the Beatles and that is something which that segment of Stones junkies will never forgive Led Zeppelin for becoming. What Zeppelin became knocked the Stones down a rung or two on the ladder in the eyes of the general public.

The Who has a segment of hardcore fans who despise Zeppelin because Zeppelin sort of clipped the wings of The Who as they were becoming known as the world’s band and because of that The Who were never able to get ahead of Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

To my mind the 3 biggest bands ever in terms of popularity and artistic integrity was The Beatles, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.

Zeppelin also created and mastered longer hypnotic popular songs driven by riffs in an age where the critics felt melody and catchy chorus based around a 3 or 4 minute song was better and that really rubbed the music critics the wrong way. So Zeppelin has all sorts of enemies.

I think Led Zeppelin will have to sell another 100 million or more albums to be regarded in the same breath as The Beatles. I have never met a Stones fan who hated Led Zeppelin, shame really as I consider the Stones to be on a par with Black Sabbath and Deep Purple - SHIT. I like The Who though, but overall there are only two GREAT bands The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

When visiting a few Rolling Stones fan sites (particularly IORR), I continually encounter constant cheap shots at Led Zeppelin.

Any theories?

IORR is about as representational of ALL Rolling Stones fans as this forum is representational of ALL Led Zeppelin fans, meaning it isn't. It's just a cast of characters expressing their own opinions online. That lot at IORR is particularly insufferable in that they constantly bitch and/or speculate about everything imaginable, to include The Rolling Stones! So I've found there's about five active posters at IORR worth reading. So what I'm suggesting is niche online groups tend to harbor niche biases. In the real world I've found most Stones fans also appreciate Led Zeppelin, and vice versa.

Just my opinion:

It's what The Stones became (disco influenced...later a corporation) that knocked the Stones down a rung or two on the ladder in the eyes of the general public.

I respect The Stones and The Who, but I could care less what IORR fans think. Although different, Zeppelin share far more in common with Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, Floyd, Tull, et al; all of who created intricate compositions, irrespective of whether you like their style, or not. The depth, structure, and complexity of their compositions is miles above The Stones, with the exception of the odd tune, such as Hearbreaker (Stones version), for example. Zeppelin were also musicians of a much higher caliber than The Stones. Comparing these two bands is like comparing aged wine against fizzy soda. They are both tasty, but one is clearly appreciated as better, while the other is more accessible. I enjoyed The Who in Concert, but The Stones were a tremendous let down. Why wouldn't Stones fans be jealous, and dismissive of Zeppelin?

Archived