Robert Plants Voice Through The Zeppelin Years 1969-1980

Presence 1977

The Golden God of rock and roll Robert Plant had and still does have one of rocks most powerful voices in rock but no one can sing like that forever so the point of this topic is to get all of your personal opnions on which year or years do you think Plants vocals were the best and worst? was it the early blues tinged five octave vocal range of 1969, the screaming out of this world vocals of 1970, the high pitched poweful uncompromising vocals of 1971, the banshee vocals of 1972, the lower inconsistent but still good vocals of 1973, the new post-surgery Raspy voice of 1975, the post flu tinged return to prowness vocals of 1977, the new powerful sound that coverd Knebwerth of 1979 or the matured vocals of 1980. All opnions are accepted and gladly heard

Different strokes for different folks, really! The ealry siren voice is epic but I do enjoy the raspier tone of 70 until 73. It's just more rock and roll I don't know! Plant became a man (so to say) and his voice got adult while still maintaing the wide register for a few years.

I couldn't care less if he wasn't able to reach the high notes in OTHAFA - voice evolves as the person does, and the lower melody (also in R&R) also suits the song in a different way.

The recently released companion SIBLY would be one of my favourite Plant tone.

For me, his range and power was best between 1970 and 1972, although I like his voice over the entirety of Zeppelin's career (although it was pretty damn rough on the 1975 US tour)

You can tell it's a lot of sickness in his voice in '75, because the few times he's in good form he's amazing, just listen to 1975/02/06, he's on fire then! My favorite era is pretty much all but most of 73 and 75, love his late, Knebworth is great, his voice is pretty consistent in 1980 too, 1977 is a mixed bag of amazing and okay but overall really solid

You can tell it's a lot of sickness in his voice in '75, because the few times he's in good form he's amazing, just listen to 1975/02/06, he's on fire then! My favorite era is pretty much all but most of 73 and 75, love his late, Knebworth is great, his voice is pretty consistent in 1980 too, 1977 is a mixed bag of amazing and okay but overall really solid

Oh, you're definitely right that in '75 his voice was killed by flu on the US tour and the inability to have time off to rest it...because he was much stronger at Earl's Court a few months later. Plus, he had secretly had throat surgery in 1974 (hence the raspiness of the newer tunes on PG compared to the older ones where he has the old range and power). I agree with you, he got stronger again after '75. Certainly more consistent.

2 Things and I'm not trying to be overly skeptical or saying it wasn't the flu or vocal surgery... but is there any confirmation on the surgery and even if he had the flu could it affect his voice through an entire tour?

...my thoughts on the rough vocals of the 73 & 75 tour and again this is speculation is... cocaine+smoking+alcohol ... he had some rough moments in '77 but overall that tour he had regained power and control ... so maybe less chemicals or am I way off?

I'd take 79-80 (and his early solo albums if you count those) over the early "shrieking monkey" days without taking a second to think about it.

Or was it "screaming banshee". I can't recall the exact quote now.

I often watch the Danish tv footage from March '69 & am completely blown away by the power of Plant's voice.

Love his studio performance on all of Led Zeppelin III too, possibly his pinnacle for me.

2 Things and I'm not trying to be overly skeptical or saying it wasn't the flu or vocal surgery... but is there any confirmation on the surgery and even if he had the flu could it affect his voice through an entire tour?

...my thoughts on the rough vocals of the 73 & 75 tour and again this is speculation is... cocaine+smoking+alcohol ... he had some rough moments in '77 but overall that tour he had regained power and control ... so maybe less chemicals or am I way off?

Might have been a mix of both, if you listen to shows from 1975 you can hear him coughing between songs(on good recordings of course) and that's consistent for most of the touring, he seems pretty sick for the Earls court gigs too. Or maybe it's from the copious amounts of drugs he probably consumed

• 1 year later...

I'd take 79-80 (and his early solo albums if you count those) over the early "shrieking monkey" days without taking a second to think about it.

Or was it "screaming banshee". I can't recall the exact quote now.

I'll have what StringBender is having...the older I get I find Robert's wailing on the first two albums increasingly hard to take. But I'm not a fan of his hoarse 1975 growl either...Plant is lucky he didn't permanently damage his voice on that tour.

^^ Same, Nutrocker and StringBender.  Some of the early Zep stuff from 1, 2 and 3, feels very dated with that high pitched screaming stuff.  I loved his voice in the 77 and 80 tours, as well as his first few solo albums.  Today, his voice has aged remarkably well, when you figure out how much use and abuse it has had!

Archived