"Jimmy Page needs to have a good rest"

royalrumpus

Good lord, I fed up with it too! How many ways can they say no. It is unfortunate that Robert did tease him with that interview but after all these years, Jimmy should know better. I resigned myself, years ago, that I will not see them in concert again and that is that. Still a huge fan but I do wish the gentlemen will be kind and respectful to each other. We will always have another set of remasters to sooth our savage LZ hearts.

“We have a great history together and like all brothers we have these moments where we don’t speak on the same page but that’s life.”

Sounds fair enough.

I'm guessing he's just really tired with the 'when will Zep reunite' thing, and I can understand it completely. There's a time when you need to just let it go. I would've loved to see them live, but I was born far too late for that. You have to move on.

I'm guessing he's just really tired with the 'when will Zep reunite' thing, and I can understand it completely. There's a time when you need to just let it go. I would've loved to see them live, but I was born far too late for that. You have to move on.

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, but there also comes a time in life when the sands of time run low, and that is when people like Page strive to fulfill their bucket list. He has been speaking of death a lot lately, and post life legacies too. When asked how it felt to be 70, he said it was scarey. I get that line of thinking, as I contemplate how many years I have left, if things go well. Page wants to do it more than ever before, while he still can, and not to be partisan here, but that is something that Robert needs to think about: whether it's over forever, or whether there is room for some movement on the topic now that time grows short. As I watch my friends and relatives die, I am more convinced that I would be motivated toward the bucket list concept. Times and motivations have changed since 1980, and the question is whether the personalities have changed with those times to consider a new point of view. It's deeply personal, but Jimmy is doing the count down, and Robert is not there yet. Perhaps oneday they will be on the same Page.

what is he implying by "he needs to go to sleep and think?"

I think he meant that Jimmy might be tired (as he has been on a travelling media blitz with the remasters debut) and perhaps think about either what he said or what a reunited Zep tour might look like....perhaps

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, but there also comes a time in life when the sands of time run low, and that is when people like Page strive to fulfill their bucket list. He has speaking of death a lot lately, and post life legacies too. When asked how it felt to be 70, he said it was scarey. I get that line of thinking, as I contemplate how many years I have left, if things go well. Page wants to do it more than ever before, while he still can, and not to be partisan here, but that is something that Robert needs to think about: whether it's over forever, or whether there is room for some movement on the topic now that time grows short. As I watch my friends and relatives die, I am more convinced that I would be motivated toward the bucket list concept. Times and motivations have changed since 1980, and the question is whether the personalities have changed with those times to consider a new point of view.

Yes, I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love to see them play again. I get the impression Jimmy holds Zep as the single best thing he's ever done, which is probably right, but I dunno... it seems he doesn't want to let go. It saddens me quite a bit, actually. I suppose, also, that part of his desire to reform is because his solo career hasn't been as succesful as Robert's.

And if Robert really doesn't want to get back together, if there's too many bad memories (though I imagine, and hope, more good ones) and he doesn't feel right singing the old songs he wrote when he was young... then I think Jimmy should leave the subject, at least for a few more years. They are getting on a bit, but they're in good health overall and I don't think there's any major rush to get something done before one, well, passes away.

I love Plant and I will always support his career. In fact, the two gigs of his I saw were fantastic and I am thrilled I have seen him in person. That being said, he has been a real dick about this whole thing since the O2. I know there is a shit ton of behind the scenes hoopla and a tremendous amount of pressure, but dude, you were in the biggest hard rock bands in history. you are a musician. I know all legit musicians go into the profession for the passion of it but don't give me any bullshit about not wanting to get big. Everyone does, and he embraced every bit of that until 1977.

I understand his issues, I really do but come on. Would a 6 month to a year commitment for a tour have really been that bad? For fuck's sake, of course not. It could have even been less, they could have just done like 5 shows in the USA, 5 in Europe, maybe a final one in the UK, released a song or two, and call it a day. Call the event "Swan Song" or whatever and close the book on Zeppelin. It doesn't have to be a year long world tour. It would have given fans their goodbyes, allowed many more people to have attended shows, let younger generations see the band, and significantly lessened those annoying questions he hates so much. He would have literally made millions of people happy. I know he has a right to his own life but I still can't wrap my head around this. His friend's son is also there to fill in, how perfect is that? His voice is more than capable, as well. And all this artistic boredom bullshit? They could have switched the set up every night, played songs they never did, changed arrangements. He plays 3/4s Zep tunes at his gigs, anyways.

I have made my peace, I have seen Robert, Jimmy, and Jason. Hopefully I'll one day see Jones but for a 22 year old fan, I've done well. I accept I will never see Led Zeppelin and I am glad with what I have, it is just such a shame he has been such a dick about it. Oh well!

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, but there also comes a time in life when the sands of time run low, and that is when people like Page strive to fulfill their bucket list. He has been speaking of death a lot lately, and post life legacies too. When asked how it felt to be 70, he said it was scarey. I get that line of thinking, as I contemplate how many years I have left, if things go well. Page wants to do it more than ever before, while he still can, and not to be partisan here, but that is something that Robert needs to think about: whether it's over forever, or whether there is room for some movement on the topic now that time grows short. As I watch my friends and relatives die, I am more convinced that I would be motivated toward the bucket list concept. Times and motivations have changed since 1980, and the question is whether the personalities have changed with those times to consider a new point of view. It's deeply personal, but Jimmy is doing the count down, and Robert is not there yet. Perhaps oneday they will be on the same Page.

Well Dark Lord, I suspect you are right. Jimmy strikes me as a pragmatist above all else - why he's done the whole catalogue once again. He has rightly said he is the definitive expert on the group's music and the days are getting shorter, As for Robert, he is still active in the music world and works just as much as he wants, doing his own musical thing, that I doubt there is ANY motivation to reform Zep. He's been there - done that. I really can't see Robert changing his mind. Robert might check out, in his 90's, on a stage in Nashville, with the Tingling Sensations or some such, lol

I think he meant that Jimmy might be tired (as he has been on a travelling media blitz with the remasters debut) and perhaps think about either what he said or what a reunited Zep tour might look like....perhaps

Thanks yeh it;s a puzzling one but I still think he could do some more shows with Zep. I just think that if Jimmy. John Paul and Jason all expressed they want to do it then he really should oblige for one tour that would be a few months out of his life for the fans. I understand if he doesn't want to do it permanently but not doing even 1 short tour is selfish.

What does Bob mean that Page needs to go to sleep and think? Robert, Jones, and Bonham should record a new album with some other singers. This is the same Robert who turned his back to the crowd in 82 I believe, and the same Robert who told to the crowd to pay attention, and the same Robert who walked out of the O2 after party without saying hello or goodbye to his guests which he invited to visit. Robert I'm afraid seems to have some issues that no one on this forum will ever understand

Whether or not they do reform - and I'm of the idea of if they do, they do and if they don't we'll just have to make do with what they've given us, which is an impressive body of work - you have to question seriousness of this article since the author couldn't even be bothered to get the name of Robert's band right.

Honestly, I see no point in having a "reunion" without Bonzo. It's like Grant says. It was those four guys that made the group and nobody else. Zeppelin's legacy is perfect as it is. If Jimmy wants some activity, I doubt he'll get a hard time trying to find people to play with. He could have done what Jeff Beck has been doing for years, but he hasn't so it's his own damn fault. Plant is right on this.

Honestly, I see no point in having a "reunion" without Bonzo. It's like Grant says. It was those four guys that made the group and nobody else. Zeppelin's legacy is perfect as it is. If Jimmy wants some activity, I doubt he'll get a hard time trying to find people to play with. He could have done what Jeff Beck has been doing for years, but he hasn't so it's his own damn fault. Plant is right on this.

I kind of disagree. Jason is a special case. I can bet you anything Bonzo was looking down with pride 12/10/2007. I agree that the original 4 were what really made Zeppelin, but having his own son makes this acceptable in my opinion. He has payed his dues and has turned into a great drummer. Plus he is literally the band's biggest fan.

I do agree with your comments about Page. Plant is not impeding Jimmy from playing and making music and hopefully Jimmy will one day realize this. Doesn't change my opinion that Plant has been a tad bit of a jerk about all this. Do you think a normal person always loves their job? Poor Plant, he almost had to play some more shows, with music he wrote, with people he is on decent terms with, for crowds of people that love what he is doing. The humanity!

Ah well, looking forward to his upcoming album.

I think it is clear that Robert doesn't have an issue performing from the Zeppelin catalog, as long as the song has been re-arranged to suit his current bands style and his vocal abilities...the trouble comes in when he is performing as Led Zeppelin, then the expectations change. I think he should just come out and say that he is not a young man anymore, his voice has changed accordingly, and he cannot perform up to his standards, trying to sing the Zep material like he did as a young man...no shame in that, it happens to all singers. He just seems to beat around the bush though, never stating the obvious...

I think it is clear that Robert doesn't have an issue performing from the Zeppelin catalog, as long as the song has been re-arranged to suit his current bands style and his vocal abilities...the trouble comes in when he is performing as Led Zeppelin, then the expectations change. I think he should just come out and say that he is not a young man anymore, his voice has changed accordingly, and he cannot perform up to his standards, trying to sing the Zep material like he did as a young man...no shame in that, it happens to all singers. He just seems to beat around the bush though, never stating the obvious...

But he can do it. He nailed the O2 and I saw him less than a year ago. Sure, he sings differently but he defiantly could do it

I love Robert, but he appears to want it both ways. Says he wants to close the book on Zeppelin...yet he performs plenty of Zeppelin hits on his solo tours. I caught him at the Greek in Berkeley last year and his setlist was about 60% Zeppelin classics. Yes they were somewhat "reimagined"...but also very recognizable.

Yes, O2 was a great one off, but touring at that level would be another matter altogether...he would have to deal with off nights, stamina, youtube clips, questions about why the songs are in different keys, etc...I understand why he doesn't want to do it. I just think he should come out and say it, and put it to rest...

Dark Lord, thanks for a thoughtful post which, although it's speculative and personal, seems very apposite.

There are counterarguments, of course. Jimmy has spoken of still having a glint in his eye, and still having juice left, and no doubt he is full of an energy which will be freed up without the remastering/publicity work to do. I also believe it to be true that his mother is still alive, and I think to have a parent or other family members of that generation still living affects our view of our own mortality very deeply. So it's possible to overinterpret things. And journalists have ASKED him about age, and the 70th birthday thing ..

Equally, to have immersed himself in LZ during the remasters, and to reinforce that with all he's said in so many interviews, has focused him in that area, and perhaps that will be less intense from now on.

He has spoken ( and yes I know that's happened before) about going out and playing in some way. He's on great form, has talked about dieting and taking care of himself, and if he were to find a way to go out and play it could be just as much of a bucket list thing as reinventing Led Zeppelin one more time.

It's unfathomable as to what he most needs, as opposed to wants .. perhaps it's to reform once more, or perhaps it's the tough-love finality of RP's "zero".

Either way there is an evident personal dilemma there and your thoughtful post acknowledges that.

RP's reference to brothers is the nearest to a way forward. It would be wonderful if these two incredibly talented but single-minded men could restore the close relationship they once had. Whether or not that closeness happened to include a musical collaboration .

Making up, mending fences, healing wounds.... that's the real bucket list stuff.

I love Robert and his incredible, beautiful voice but I really wish he would come around to Jimmy's angle on touring.

It's interesting that when asked if they are friends, Robert basically says "no" because they aren't exactly but in this article he likens their relationship to that of brothers. And they are sort of squabbling like siblings.

I wish all 3 of them had been closer friends back in the day. Then Jimmy might now have a bit more emotional pull on the other two.

They are all just so different. It is pretty magical that they made such amazing music together.

This made me furious with Robert. Robert might as well be telling Jimmy to drop dead. This is really upsetting and no wonder Jimmy is fed up. He has talked about Jimmy like this since the end of Zep.

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, but there also comes a time in life when the sands of time run low, and that is when people like Page strive to fulfill their bucket list. He has been speaking of death a lot lately, and post life legacies too. When asked how it felt to be 70, he said it was scarey. I get that line of thinking, as I contemplate how many years I have left, if things go well. Page wants to do it more than ever before, while he still can, and not to be partisan here, but that is something that Robert needs to think about: I agree completely. Robert is four years younger and also less personally invested in the Led Zeppelin legacy, but if he had more compassion he would have done what Jimmy, Jason, and I think JPJ wanted as well as what millions of fans wanted. Which segues into my response to Charles J. White: I'm pretty sure I know exactly what Robert's issues are, but don't want to bring my professional persona into the discussion, and I think what others have said in plain language is accurate anyway.

This made me furious with Robert. Robert might as well be telling Jimmy to drop dead. This is really upsetting and no wonder Jimmy is fed up. He has talked about Jimmy like this since the end of Zep.

Hi I'm new here but totally agree. It's so rude of him to talk like that especially to the guy that is the reason he was discovered. Jimmy was a successful, well known musician and he put Robert, a then unknown, in the middle of nowhere and made him huge. Plus Jimmy wrote alll the music that Robert's 60 percent set is made up of. Talk about ungrateful!

Archived