"Jimmy Page needs to have a good rest"

royalrumpus

Then the solo career starts to wane a bit, Live Aid comes along at that time, and RP sees this as an avenue to explore...

I do think that LZ could be a 'sideline' for him, with festival appearances and the like...

To your first point, it was actually a change in management in late 1986 that led to the incorporation of Zeppelin material into his solo career. Once hired on, Bill Curbishley quite rightly advised Robert it was essential that he start performing Led Zeppelin material if he wanted to restore any semblance of a successful solo career (Shaken n' Stirred, released in 1985, had been a commercial disaster).

I quite like Priory of Brion because generally speaking they did not perform Led Zeppelin material, however once that evolved from a hobby band into something a bit more involved (Strange Sensation) the return of Led Zeppelin material was inevitable.

To your second point, you must be joking.

He has to sing LZ on his "solo" shows, for the simple fact that it's what people want to here and whatever is thought that can't be denied. However much RP has moved on from LZ the simple fact is that if he didn't sing them people wouldn't turn up. As a performer that ego doesn't stroke itself!!!

I applaud him and respect him in a lot of ways for moving on and I'm sure if I hadn't seen them in December 2007 I'd probably feel like a lot of people in that they should carry on but perhaps that was the best way to go out. A show for a dear lost friend, to correct the wrongs of previous reunions and go out on a high. No one will doubt that's exactly what they achieved.

My issue with it is and it's only my feeling but it's almost like a control aspect...It can't be done without him and he knows it. I'm probably wrong but that's how it feels to me.

There are so many things that must have happened between them but there are far more issues to this than purely getting back together and playing.

Unfortunately there has been a lot of things that have happened that maybe it can never be looked at the same...RP is absolutely correct there.

I also speak from experience as I'm sure a lot of us do in that loss will make you look at everything very differently.

The positive is that it's made me appreciate these new remasters even more if that was possible.

You're right. It seems to be Robert's way of telling Jimmy off. This is the worst of Robert's cracks against Jimmy. His last one was in his interview in November when he said that he was in the band too long with Jimmy. I really hope that this makes Jimmy really do something as he has been promising. Jimmy doesn't sound like he wants to be retired. I understand that he didn't want anyone else to remaster Zep as it is too important to him, but it angers me that Robert picks the day after the releases to make his crack when he has not lifted a finger to help Jimmy promote them!

I don't want a Zep reunion -- I do want Jimmy to move on.

He was in the band too long with Jimmy? :unsure: What's that about??

I could never say I wouldn't like to see a Zeppelin reunion.....

He was in the band too long with Jimmy? :unsure: What's that about??

I could never say I wouldn't like to see a Zeppelin reunion.....

I found that a terrible thing to say, but he did.

If there was a reunion it would be closer to a nightmare than anything. Would you really like to see it turned into a media circus? It would be exactly that.

That's a ridiculous statement in my opinion.

Well, you seem to be well versed on the topic, based on what I've read from you. Only Robert knows what he meant, but I do note that he chose the word "nap" as opposed to suggesting that Jimmy get "some rest".

I am really surprised by news of this "bickering" should I call it between my two idols. I have always been on Jimmy's side on this matter and have had many a fight on here over it. But I am now kind of thinking I do not want them to become the Rolling Stones. No way. And you know, their music is being used often in movies, commercials etc. So its not like Jimmy is in the soup line. I understand he has the desire to do it. If Robert is still able to perform I tend to think, why would you want to do anything but Led Zeppelin material? Or why not make one more album for Gods sake? You know Bonzo would and is looking down and saying go for it. He would not want them to not play due to his absence. I guess there is no changing Roberts mind. Maybe this will bring some of the old members out of retirement? Here I mean

I agree with LedZeppfan77 in that the bickering should stop. It's not really bickering, Plant can have a bit of a sharp, humor, in his language.

I think that Page commented about this at all, because he heard about the... ask the capricorns,I'm not doing anything in 2014.

Robert seems to keep the press baying with these type comments, yet it must be infuriating for those who would have like to see it happen.

I like that Plant added the second part about seeing things differently, after the sleep comment.

So I would like to see no more negative comments by either. I think it takes away from the legacy of the music.

I can't even imagine a verbal mud slinging contest between any of these talented people.

Imagine what the people who have just been indoctrinated to the music would think, or the casual fan.

So stop, don't do it. You are all too big for this, stop making the comment to the press. No more ask the capricorns,

no more fed up, no more get a nap. Desist, this is Zeppelin.

Yup, Plant's comment about not doing anything in 2014 is what fueled the speculation. If he truly has no intention of ever touring with LZ, just end this nonsense.

"Guys, let it go. There will never be a Zeppelin tour. Period. End of discussion. Move on"

As long as Plant plays it coy or allows wiggle room, fans and media will keep the fire burning. Makes me wonder if some part of him actually enjoys playing this game.

When he said Jimmy should take a nap, he meant put the idea of ever touring again as Zeppelin to rest and when he says rest he means RIP Rest In Peace.

Robert is done with Zeppelin in the sense that he will never tour with those guys as Zeppelin again. He is sick of the continued speculation and would rather focus on what he is involved with today. Robert has always been cheeky. He is famous for his comments and jokes during live shows and interviews. That's just how he is. Zeppelin will always be Jimmy's baby and its not hard to understand why page would be chuffed but its time to let Robert off the hook and except that the days of the Zeppelin taking flight on stage are long over.

I agree with LedZeppfan77 in that the bickering should stop. It's not really bickering, Plant can have a bit of a sharp, humor, in his language.

I think that Page commented about this at all, because he heard about the... ask the capricorns,I'm not doing anything in 2014.

Robert seems to keep the press baying with these type comments, yet it must be infuriating for those who would have like to see it happen.

I like that Plant added the second part about seeing things differently, after the sleep comment.

So I would like to see no more negative comments by either. I think it takes away from the legacy of the music.

I can't even imagine a verbal mud slinging contest between any of these talented people.

Imagine what the people who have just been indoctrinated to the music would think, or the casual fan.

So stop, don't do it. You are all too big for this, stop making the comment to the press. No more ask the capricorns,

no more fed up, no more get a nap. Desist, this is Zeppelin.

Of course it's pale in comparison with what happened with Pink Floyd and many negative press stories with the Who and other bands. A part of me just wishes they had given Jason a shot to do an album with him. A limited tour. The demand would be nuts. Like winning the lottery for the O2. I was one that had dreams of winning that. But I new the odds were stacked against me worst than hitting the pick six for a week straight and the mega millions to boot. LOL. I just hope Page and Plant always remain on good terms. I am quite sure that is the case. I am hearing alot of Zeppelin songs in movies and commercials these days. This kind of suggests they have moved into the history category like the Beatles. I just wish they would hit the new generation by storm with one last album. At least give it a roll and see what comes out. Maybe another Stairway?

Yup, Plant's comment about not doing anything in 2014 is what fueled the speculation. If he truly has no intention of ever touring with LZ, just end this nonsense.

"Guys, let it go. There will never be a Zeppelin tour. Period. End of discussion. Move on"

As long as Plant plays it coy or allows wiggle room, fans and media will keep the fire burning. Makes me wonder if some part of him actually enjoys playing this game.

But he was only kidding... Anyone that saw the interview knew he was kidding.

What I don't get is how Jimmy and John Paul don't know Robert won't do it..

Robert has no intention of ever doing it on a large scale .. Clever one liners or not... Not without John Bonham.

He has stuck to his guns part since 1980.. and has gotten cold feet the times he did try.. like the Tony Thompson attempt.. The 3 one off's (5 counting Jason's wedding and the RRHOF) are probably all there will be.

I agree that he should make a one time statement saying exactly that.. IT'S OVER...

Wow, I am really surprised (not really) at everyone getting worked up over this.

Below is the exact quote:

"I think he needs to go to sleep and have a good rest, and think again. We have a great history together and like all brothers we have these moments where we don't speak on the same page but that's life."

It is pretty self explanatory. Go to sleep, have a rest and think again!

I don't see what Robert said as mean-spirited at all, he tempered his reasoning, reminding everyone that they are brothers ...and brothers sometimes disagree.

I understand both sides of the argument, I also respect both opinions and both men.

As I said Robert is the biggest star in the room until Jim walks in.

Plants narky comments come from the fact that there is still more interest

in a 30+yr defunct band and his old lead guitarist than the his current band

(don't get me started on his current guitarist) He would really like Zeppelin and the

whole Rob n Jim thing to go away but at the same time its what made him!

So we get Zep tunes done with a second rate guitarist and smart comments every time

Zeppelin rears its head.Plants done with Zeppelin but Zeppelins not done with Plant!

All this from the guy bitching about a four hour workday in SIBLY.

I think Robert's poke was tongue in cheek, like my previous sentence. It's all in the delivery. I do hope Jimmy gets cross enough where he feels like he has something to prove. The middle ground limbo has been driving him crazy for years. Whatever leads to new Page material. When Relf was done with the Yardbirds, wonderful things happened for Jimmy--new directions, a flood of creative energy, innovation galore. I hope this leads to the same thing.

7 am - 11 pm.

I do wish they would use the " no comment " road when asked these questions - things cannot be unsaid.....

but, they have had fallouts before and made up, hopefully they will still remain close.

I found that a terrible thing to say, but he did.

If there was a reunion it would be closer to a nightmare than anything. Would you really like to see it turned into a media circus? It would be exactly that.

If this isn't part of the circus what do you call it? I think that if they were all on the same page where dealing with the press is concerned, it might be okay....

Wow, I am really surprised (not really) at everyone getting worked up over this.

Below is the exact quote:

It is pretty self explanatory. Go to sleep, have a rest and think again!

I don't see what Robert said as mean-spirited at all, he tempered his reasoning, reminding everyone that they are brothers ...and brothers sometimes disagree.

I understand both sides of the argument, I also respect both opinions and both men.

If I voiced a complaint about someone's behavior toward me and that person said "I think you need a nap" I would find that quite condescending.

(don't get me started on his current guitarist) He would really like Zeppelin and the

So we get Zep tunes done with a second rate guitarist and smart comments every time

Zeppelin rears its head.Plants done with Zeppelin but Zeppelins not done with Plant!

That's a good way of putting it!

Is there more interest in Plant reuniting with Led Zeppelin than The Sensational Space Shifters? Let's just say that there is. Does that make what Robert has created and achieved on his own any less important than what it is? Or even John Paul's or Jimmy's achievements for that matter? Robert's solo career has brought many people happiness over the years! He has surfed the many waters of music on his own and has been successful! Jimmy has said he has a lot of material. I think it would be really interesting to hear what these three guys could bring back to the table at this point in their lives. If they ever did reunite I think it would be quite different this time around. After thirty plus years it would be sort of like starting from scratch again, wouldn't it? But this re-birth would have three equally accomplished, seasoned musicians. I think this talk about Robert not being able to hit the high notes or being too old is absurd. Their abilities as musicians has always been criticized and doubted. That wouldn't be anything new. And besides, Robert has still got it, anyone with ears knows that! And someone said in another post that Robert is singing rock & roll songs and taking the rock & roll out of it....That maybe so 'musically' but in the changing of the music, there lies the essence of rock & roll! Being free to experiment! The man is still rock & roll, just listen or read one of his interviews! He's so damn snarky and in your face! He doesn't appear to give a f*** what anyone thinks! Although I find it displeasing that Robert makes these type of statements in the public (and as I said before, I hope they keep that type of stuff away from the press.) at Jimmy's expense, it makes me happy to know he's still got that rock & rollin', razor like side in his personality!

There are so many reasons why a Led Zeppelin reunion would be so f***ing amazing! If we started a thread called 'Why a Led Zeppelin reunion would totally rock!' and listed all the good things that could come of it, it would probably go on for a hundred pages! (Can anyone imagine what a No Quarter organ solo would sound like today??? :drool: ) But sadly, I'm only dreaming here, because it doesn't look like that is going to happen. And I wouldn't want it to happen unless Robert was happy and whatever problems him and Jimmy appear to have were sorted out so that some really amazing music could come out of it. Because it shouldn't be about who is in the spotlight. That's the music's job. Beautiful music and having fun: that's what it's all about. :)

There is so much right with this post, all of it actually.

The best comment I have read on this matter comes from 'Midnight Toker' over at R O where MT hits the nail right on the head. Hope he does not mind me posting his comment here,if he objects I will remove it.

Here is his comment.

Perspective is EVERYTHING in this quarrel.

For the record.

Plant had been in contact w/ Krauss and T Bone for years prior to Raising Sand....then it came to fruition in 06. Both being WAY WAY up there as far as collaborators/producers go. As big as Plant has worked with since Zep. Add a cherry picked lineup of Nashvillle's best musicians (the rock equivalent of picking musicians from Zappa and Steely Dan to fill out your band) ...and you have Raising Sand. They record...and plan a tour. The single Gone Gone Gone drops early enough to win a Grammy by itself while the album release will have to wait another year to be eligable. Meanwhile....not so long departed Ahmet Ertegun's fundraiser...Ahmet having been much closer to Plant on a personal level than any Zep members, throws out the BIG gig offer....to Plant...who having loved Ahamet coerced the others to do it....all while taking off time from press/promotion/tour plans of what was already in the worlks for years....and already heralded as THE album of the year. Then comes the 02...goes off great. Afterwards, press corners Jimmy into "what about a tour?" Jimmy says, "Well we reheased like it was for a tour...we really should".

That right there is dick move #1. (he might as well of said whatever Plant is doing now is not important)

While Plant is touring the world w/ Krauss to raving reviews (and trust me, I saw it from the 2nd row at a sold out Merriweather...it was fucking great!! eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif ) Page, Jones, JPJ announce they are rehearsing for a tour..."we just need a singer eusa_whistle.gif "

Dick move #2

Plant's tour takes him all the way into Noverber of 2008!

JPJ..."I quess Robert just doesn't want to play loud music anymore."

I ask you...what is worse than literally pissing on your supposed friend's biggest parade for your own monetary interests? Huh??:roll: icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it all really comes down to Plant having lived well beneath his means all these years while the others have literally lost their asses in real estate and stocks. eusa_think.gif (I once heard Page was major stock holder in WEA...this was back in the late 80's)

Just saying...the way 07/08 went down was really unfair to Plant IMO...downright cutthroat if you get right down to it. To leave T-Bone/Krauss and the rest of that cast would have been instant blacklist for Plant in Nashville and beyond. You just don't do that to those caliber of musicians. Not for a reunion that was never once talked about before Dec 7th 07. I bet that pissed Plant off pretty good...and it damn well should have.

Meanwhile....blind Zep fanboi nation was on the Planthatin wagon (again) full force come Dec 9th 07. eusa_naughty.gif

I'm sorry to say...but Plant's right. The only way for Zep to go is down....and Page seems willing to do just that... at 70. icon_eek.gif For what? $$$$$$?? Definitely not for "art"....as there's no chance in hell of improving on it, much less coming close to what's been done already. Plant seems content. He's done quite well for himself and could easily live off of just non Zep royalties and touring. JPJ honestly hasn't had a major arena tour paycheck since US 77...but I'm sure lives a nice life w/ all he does producer/collaborator wise. Page....it seems no one but Halfin can get a honest clue as to what's going on in his mind.....all I know is...if it's not Zep...and it's not on a grand scale...it's not in his interest. IMO that's bullshit...and the opposite of what a real "artist" strives for. icon_confused.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I used to worship the guy...literally....today...disheartening to say the least. I've had relationships with women break off less painfully. icon_razz.gif

Some suggestions and clarifications:

1. Let's not use crude language to talk about people whom we idolize, at least as musicians if not people.

2. Speaking only for myself I do not "hate" Robert Plant. I think he probably has a personality disorder, but that's partly genetic so it is what it is.

3. All members of the band are/were deeply flawed people and this was apparent even in the 70s, so if you're just catching on to this now...not sure what to say.

4. The problem is that they didn't communicate clearly with each other after the O2 and this seems to be continuing. They should hire a therapist who can do family/group therapy and clear the air. (I volunteer my services--+20 yrs experience and I work with creative people).

5. The issue isn't "art" but giving fans a chance at an experience many of us missed, due to being too young, too poor or not in the right place at the right time. I see the purpose of art as being for others, not for the self, anyway. Otherwise, it is self-indulgence.

The best comment I have read on this matter comes from 'Midnight Toker' over at R O where MT hits the nail right on the head. Hope he does not mind me posting his comment here,if he objects I will remove it.

Here is his comment.

Perspective is EVERYTHING in this quarrel.

For the record.

Plant had been in contact w/ Krauss and T Bone for years prior to Raising Sand....then it came to fruition in 06. Both being WAY WAY up there as far as collaborators/producers go. As big as Plant has worked with since Zep. Add a cherry picked lineup of Nashvillle's best musicians (the rock equivalent of picking musicians from Zappa and Steely Dan to fill out your band) ...and you have Raising Sand. They record...and plan a tour. The single Gone Gone Gone drops early enough to win a Grammy by itself while the album release will have to wait another year to be eligable. Meanwhile....not so long departed Ahmet Ertegun's fundraiser...Ahmet having been much closer to Plant on a personal level than any Zep members, throws out the BIG gig offer....to Plant...who having loved Ahamet coerced the others to do it....all while taking off time from press/promotion/tour plans of what was already in the worlks for years....and already heralded as THE album of the year. Then comes the 02...goes off great. Afterwards, press corners Jimmy into "what about a tour?" Jimmy says, "Well we reheased like it was for a tour...we really should".

That right there is dick move #1. (he might as well of said whatever Plant is doing now is not important)

While Plant is touring the world w/ Krauss to raving reviews (and trust me, I saw it from the 2nd row at a sold out Merriweather...it was fucking great!! eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif ) Page, Jones, JPJ announce they are rehearsing for a tour..."we just need a singer eusa_whistle.gif "

Dick move #2

Plant's tour takes him all the way into Noverber of 2008!

JPJ..."I quess Robert just doesn't want to play loud music anymore."

I ask you...what is worse than literally pissing on your supposed friend's biggest parade for your own monetary interests? Huh??:roll: icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it all really comes down to Plant having lived well beneath his means all these years while the others have literally lost their asses in real estate and stocks. eusa_think.gif (I once heard Page was major stock holder in WEA...this was back in the late 80's)

Just saying...the way 07/08 went down was really unfair to Plant IMO...downright cutthroat if you get right down to it. To leave T-Bone/Krauss and the rest of that cast would have been instant blacklist for Plant in Nashville and beyond. You just don't do that to those caliber of musicians. Not for a reunion that was never once talked about before Dec 7th 07. I bet that pissed Plant off pretty good...and it damn well should have.

Meanwhile....blind Zep fanboi nation was on the Planthatin wagon (again) full force come Dec 9th 07. eusa_naughty.gif

I'm sorry to say...but Plant's right. The only way for Zep to go is down....and Page seems willing to do just that... at 70. icon_eek.gif For what? $$$$$$?? Definitely not for "art"....as there's no chance in hell of improving on it, much less coming close to what's been done already. Plant seems content. He's done quite well for himself and could easily live off of just non Zep royalties and touring. JPJ honestly hasn't had a major arena tour paycheck since US 77...but I'm sure lives a nice life w/ all he does producer/collaborator wise. Page....it seems no one but Halfin can get a honest clue as to what's going on in his mind.....all I know is...if it's not Zep...and it's not on a grand scale...it's not in his interest. IMO that's bullshit...and the opposite of what a real "artist" strives for. icon_confused.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I used to worship the guy...literally....today...disheartening to say the least. I've had relationships with women break off less painfully. icon_razz.gif

I think ignoring Jones for the Page and Plant stuff was as big a dick move as one can make.

Thanks JTM for the first coherent post in this thread in a quite a while. The utter nonsense and Page fanboyisim conveyed in this thread is borderline comical.

Page has dedicated a good portion of his post Zep career blaming Robert for crushing everyone's dreams of a tour. Robert finally responds and everyone can't wait to pounce on him for being mean to poor Jimmy.

Jimmy wants to get paid and wants control. He is and has been the problem. Read Hoskyns book, it's all in there.

Archived