Led Zepppelin DVD

riffsofpage

More likely because most of the discussion happened on the previous forum that Sam ran under the title "Electric Magic" before it became the official LZ.com forum in 2007. The DVD came out in 2003, along with the "How the West Was Won" cd, and there was plenty of discussion about it, believe me. Most of the old Electric Magic forum threads were lost in the switch, so now you will probably have better luck searching for threads about the individual shows represented on the 2003 Live DVD: 1969 Denmark; 1970 Royal Albert Hall; 1973 MSG; 1975 Earl's Court; and 1979 Knebworth.

Make no mistake, though...the 2003 DVD (and HTWWW) was a much-needed release and beloved by most Led Zeppelin fans, warts and all.

Without sounding overly dramatic, that DVD changed my life. I still remember the day me and a friend were browsing around at a Best Buy in 2004 and I made the one of the best purchases of my life. That day I went from being a fan who had most of the studio albums to being a die-hard, collecting every live recording, book, magazine etc. I could get my hands on. I never understood what was so great about live music until I viewed it. They way they improvised, added parts, the medleys, was a revelation for me. I literally wore out that copy and purchased another a few years later, and wore that one out as well!

Led Zeppelin DVD=The greatest piece of media ever released.

^ Much the same for me. I'd loved their music since I was kid but didn't really have more than a vague idea of what they looked like - just lots of hair - nor how they performed live. My eyes nearly fell out of my head. What I had missed! I had no idea how much charisma & creativity they had live. And I loved tne way they related to eachother. It gave me a far greater appreciation of their music & their individual talents as musicians. It made me crave more of everything Zep.

Without sounding overly dramatic, that DVD changed my life. I still remember the day me and a friend were browsing around at a Best Buy in 2004 and I made the one of the best purchases of my life. That day I went from being a fan who had most of the studio albums to being a die-hard, collecting every live recording, book, magazine etc. I could get my hands on. I never understood what was so great about live music until I viewed it. They way they improvised, added parts, the medleys, was a revelation for me. I literally wore out that copy and purchased another a few years later, and wore that one out as well!

Led Zeppelin DVD=The greatest piece of media ever released.

^ Much the same for me. I'd loved their music since I was kid but didn't really have more than a vague idea of what they looked like - just lots of hair - nor how they performed live. My eyes nearly fell out of my head. What I had missed! I had no idea how much charisma & creativity they had live. And I loved tne way they related to eachother. It gave me a far greater appreciation of their music & their individual talents as musicians. It made me crave more of everything Zep.

Great posts! I, too, became a much greater fan once I saw them playing live (TSRTS, DVD, YouTube). I like the improv, but what struck me the most was to see the chemistry between them and to see their passion, conviction and commitment to every single note. Seeing them play live adds the WOW factor!

^ Absolutely - their intensity & passion are so exciting to watch. I love seeing Bonzo playing his heart out when I read how many bands he was asked to leave because he was too loud. And Robert, dismissed by some as just a 'screamer' coming into his own under the influence of Jimmy's feel for light and shade. And JPJ & Jimmy letting loose after the confines of studio work. Gives us a tiny taste of how mindblowing it must have been for them that moment when they first played together in that tiny room in 1968.

Hmmmm

I need to get a hold of this as I'm a newbie to Zeppelin live. Mate of mine contributed to this a chap called Andy Banks took some 8mm film of the Knebworth gig which was used in it.

Credit crad about to take another battering....;)

Best wishes

John

The black and whit footage seems to be almost high resolution - Danmark Radio excerpts.

Who here wish they could have said that they sat "indian style" on the floor in a small room right in front of LZ playing D&C, CB, and my favorite BIGLY.

LOL- the closest I can get to that is Smashing Pumpkins in a bar, arms length from the musicians.

Who here wish they could have said that they sat "indian style" on the floor in a small room right in front of LZ playing D&C, CB, and my favorite BIGLY.

No kidding!! I want to know where those folks are now. Would love to hear their thoughts on how their minds were blown and lives changed forever!!

It truly was an awesome release...the Holy Grail at that time.

Time for a Blu-Ray or is that being greedy bearing in mind what we've had this year already?

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for 'Led Zeppelin DVD II' :angel::lol: Seriously, they could cover some eras that the first one didn't such as 1977, 1980, etc. Wouldn't that be something!

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for 'Led Zeppelin DVD II' :angel::lol: Seriously, they could cover some eras that the first one didn't such as 1977, 1980, etc. Wouldn't that be something!

I doubt ole' Pagey would release something like that(unless he's sitting on the Houston and Pontiac shows that were pro shot), it would basically be a clip show of different 8 mm footage, if you haven't already I can recommend Cosmic Energy's Assemblage I & II for that

Just realized that he could do a official release of the Earls Court gigs, TSRTS style, taking the best from both, is the show up to Pagey standard though?

LOL- the closest I can get to that is Smashing Pumpkins in a bar, arms length from the musicians.

Major Pumpkins freak here, I would do a LOT to experience that!

But yeah like others have said on here, that DVD literally changed my life. I first got it when I was 14, eating up all I could about this new band I had just discovered. Great memories!

I doubt ole' Pagey would release something like that(unless he's sitting on the Houston and Pontiac shows that were pro shot), it would basically be a clip show of different 8 mm footage, if you haven't already I can recommend Cosmic Energy's Assemblage I & II for that

Just realized that he could do a official release of the Earls Court gigs, TSRTS style, taking the best from both, is the show up to Pagey standard though?

Any live release would be welcome from me.

It was hardly "life changing" but a great insight to how they were live.

The highlight for me was seeing the colour footage of IS from Sydney (albeit dubbed with the LA audio), it brought back many fond memories of that gig.

Being front and centre within 20 metres of the very high stage was an incredible experience.

It was hardly "life changing" but a great insight to how they were live.

The highlight for me was seeing the colour footage of IS from Sydney (albeit dubbed with the LA audio), it brought back many fond memories of that gig.

Being front and centre within 20 metres of the very high stage was an incredible experience.

Maybe for you grandpa.

Archived