Them Crooked Vultures: What happened?

I can't believe its been this long. There was supposed to be a new record............Nothing.

Also, I have questions about the following tracks:

Mind Eraser (is that a slide guitar played by JPJ on the left or is that Homme?)

Elephants (is that a mandolin played by JPJ on the intro or is it Homme?)

Reptiles (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?)

Gunman (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?)

Edited by mrledhed

I think it's a case of schedules not coinciding with them. They are all so busy with so many different projects, it seems like they caught lightening in a bottle when they were able to put the album and tour together the first time around. The closest they came to me was 6 hours away in Atlanta at The Tabernacle. IF that happens again, I'll be traveling 6 hours to see them! :yesnod:

I absolutely LOVE that album, and so devastated that they didn't get that promised 2nd one happening.

i agree with walter - i think they all had too many pots on the boil at the same time. Maybe they will get together again ... I always hoped that Jimmy would join them on an album, if not touring .....

I saw them live 3 times, twice in Los Angeles and once in Vegas; simply STUNNING to hear that music in a live setting. The album is nice, but the music takes on a ife of it's own when heard live. Try and get ahold of some boots, toward the end of their tour they were really stretching out songs like Scumbag, Daffodils and Warsaw.

I do think they'll surface again, the music was just too good and they were getting off playing it; that was very apparent when seeing them live. I think Homme almost died after going thru some type of procedure delaying the release of Queens' album which they currently are touring on. At the time Grohl said it was the best band he's ever been in and Jones said he'd been in the best band in the world for a 2nd time, I'm in agreement with both statements.

Grohl's last public statement on a possible reunion of the Vultures:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_grohl_promises_them_crooked_vultures_return.html

Edited by Lambeau Leap

Yeah, I saw them live in Brisbane, Australia & had the best crowd reaction. When Homme introduced each band member, JPJ got by far the biggest cheer. Homme even commented that always happens at every gig. JPJ played several instruments & keyboards. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. ( I was never lucky enough to see Zep live though)

Yeah, I saw them live in Brisbane, Australia & had the best crowd reaction. When Homme introduced each band member, JPJ got by far the biggest cheer. Homme even commented that always happens at every gig. JPJ played several instruments & keyboards. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. ( I was never lucky enough to see Zep live though)

Ditto to everything you just said - we saw them in Sydney. I was a few metres from the stage, right in front of Jones!

I can't believe its been this long. There was supposed to be a new record............Nothing.

Mind Eraser (is that a slide guitar played by JPJ on the left or is that Homme?) -assume it's one or the other.

Elephants (is that a mandolin played by JPJ on the intro or is it Homme?) - it's a BASS MANDOLIN. he plays the same thing i believe on HWY 1 http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/898

Reptiles (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?) - believe mr. jones is rocking some of the slide guitar

Gunman (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?) - sounds like bass mandolin at times too in addition to bass, although he only plays bass live. bass is played through effects on the chorus so there's that sound too.

We all know the guys would LOVE to do another record, but it's like lightning in a bottle and they do also have their day jobs to attend to. Queens is wrapping a touring cycle but they're planning on recording the rest of the year and the foos have a record coming out in a few months as well. I think it's just a matter of the guys' schedules clearing up, which could happen at some point maybe in 2015. We know the enthusiasm is there, the stars just need to align. HIlariously enough this would have been the ideal rock outfit for pagey to align himself to, surprised that when JPJ got the call from Grohl and homme he didn't think to call up jimmy and see if he wanted to be involved considering they'd been rehearsing and trying to do a new band.

Then again, page prolly wants to play some zeppelin and josh just wouldn't make sense for zeppelin songs, it aint his thing. cant wait to see if they come back around.

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain. I 've gotten VERY much into Them Crooked Vultures since a few months. It hurts. They're the only band which I have hope for of seeing live. But, hey........

You asked, what happened?, well...

These three men are all amazing, talented musicians. All of them. That also means they're busy making music and all that jazz.

At this very moment:

-Dave Grohl ~ he is always busy. hahaha :P well but seriously, he's about to release the 8th album with his band, Foo Fighters. New album = New tour, basically. So mr. Grohl is busy :(

-Josh Homme ~ I'm not certain what exactly he's the most busy with atm, but in 2013 he released the album "...Like Clockwork" with his band Queens Of THe Stone Age, and they are maybe on the road again, touring and stuff, i assume; Because as I already said, New album = New tour, mostly.

-John Paul Jones ~ Ahhhh :D I love Jonesy so I know a lot about him. hahahah. :3 So, I know about this interview, in which someone asks him what his plans for 2014 are. He responds "2014 is full of Opera for me!!!" And then smiles so innocently and sweetly ughhhhh JOnesy <33 (because he's been working on an own friggin opera (!!!!!! He's writing a own fucking opera because he's John Paul friggin Jones and no one can stop hiM FUK YEH)!!!!!!!!!! already since.... 2010 or 2012 or something. He says it's a whole new challenge for him.) So he'll be busy with that, at least during this year (2014).

So yeah.........

Maybe 2015 or 2016 will be "the year". Don't lose hope please!!! I'm trying not to lose hope too!!! I WILL have to see them live. I believe, I'm almost SURE they'll get together again. They have to. They will. And I will see them. In real life. <33333

Mind Eraser (is that a slide guitar played by JPJ on the left or is that Homme?)

Elephants (is that a mandolin played by JPJ on the intro or is it Homme?)

Reptiles (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?)

Gunman (besides bass, what other instruments are played by JP?)

You’re a multi instrumentalist. What are some less traditional instruments you played on the album or on stage with this band?

JPJ:Out of the basses, apart from regular four string, I play a 10-string bass, and a 12-string bass. The song “Elephants” is all on bass mandolin, which I don’t think exists anywhere else. Mine is actually tuned like a mandolin, only two octaves below. It’s an interesting sound. What else did I use? Bass lap steel, another invention. And onstage, on “Interlude With Ludes,” a keytar. I thought, where am I going to get one of those? Ebay! It’s good for a laugh: Watch John Paul Jones strap on a keytar.

Is Alain Johannes on the record at all?

JPJ:He recorded some of the vocals and maybe one interlude, but basically it was the three of us in the studio. Basically the guitar parts are really complicated so we really needed someone else to take with us live. He also plays bass while I play mandolin, and he plays some of my keyboard parts when I play bass, and all that sort of stuff. It was just to make it as nearly a full a sound as the record.

What were some of the basses you played?

JPJ:They're all made by Hugh Manson; Manson guitars. Uhh, yeah the four-string bass is normal but it's a Manson; 10-string bass on Gunman which is like a five-string bass with double strings, octave strings like a 12-string guitar type of idea. From low E to high C. The bass on Daffodils is a 12-string from low B to high C; a bass mandolin on Elephants which is tuned in fifths like a mandolin G to E again with sort of 12-string type octave strings. The 10- and 12-string basses are in stereo so the neck pickup goes to the bass rig and the bridge pickup goes to a Bad Cat guitar rig. So it gives a very wide sound. What else am I using? I use a Yamaha bass; one of Josh's many obscure Japanese guitars that he has.

How did you get involved in Them Crooked Vultures?

Alain Johannes:Josh and I have a long history of playing together, and he asked me to be involved in recording the Vultures record. I engineered “Reptiles,” “Interlude with Ludes,” and “Dead End Friends,” and also tracked some vocals, guitars, and bass. Later, Dave, John, and Josh decided they wanted to fill out the live band to reproduce the sounds on the album, so they invited me in. I had never met John, but I had worked with Dave on the Queens of the Stone Age album Songs for the Deaf [interscope, 2002].

mrledhed,I couldn't answer all of your questions but I trust that these quotes will help.

So yeah.........

Maybe 2015 or 2016 will be "the year". Don't lose hope please!!! I'm trying not to lose hope too!!! I WILL have to see them live. I believe, I'm almost SURE they'll get together again. They have to. They will. And I will see them. In real life. <33333

That's my hoping, too. I'm figuring that the Foos are gonna tour all over the place in 2015 and that QOTSA is going to tour for a while still (as of now their touring ends October 31st), probably into mid 2015. JPJ is just kinda doing everything and anything atm (just finished touring with the Dave Rawlings Machine), so he's probably available whenever. Just pure speculation, but I'm hoping for something mid-late 2015 or 2016 - that time looks like when both groups would be available. All I know for sure is that the trio is still on Dave and Josh's mind, which is good news. Dave said, like mentioned above, that he still wants to do something with them in the future. I read in an interview from Josh just recently (like late 2013, 2014) that said he has to remind himself that he is a member of three bands (Queens of The Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, and Eagles of Death Metal), and needs to keep up with each. He specifically talked about TCV for a moment explaining that he's just looking for the right time for all three of them to be available to make a new record. So hopes are still high!!

• 2 years later...

In a new interview aired on Beats 1 Radio, Grohl says that he and the guys haven't forgotten about Them Crooked Vultures, though doesn't say anything about any new material.

"Every once in a while, you'll be up at night drinking a bottle of wine by yourself, and you'll watch some Crooked Vultures live thing on YouTube and go, 'We were so good!,' and then we'll text each other saying, 'Miss you man!' and then I don't hear from anybody for five months."

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/theres-still-a-chance-them-crooked-vultures-foo-fighters-led-zeppelin-etc-could-resurface

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Walter said:

Fingers crossed they get together again. Can’t believe it’s been ten years gone already... Grohl has got to be itching to get behind the kit again.

Yes indeed. It’d be nice if they added another Vulture to the band (JP).

R😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2017 at 3:20 PM, Bozoso73 said:

One of the greatest nights ever and the final Zep member I needed to see. . Flew up to Seattle for a week and this was my first night. . I needed 2 days of my vacation to recover:):)

HPIM0708.JPG

HPIM0727.JPG

HPIM0757.JPG

:thumbsup:Cool deal

Edited by luvlz2