jimmy page /sonny boy williamson

barryboru

I have a blues album with jimmy page and sonny boy williamson collaboration. On the cover it has a picture of Jimmy page wearing his black pants and shirt with the dragon running down the side can anyone tell me more about the album.

barryboru

I have a blues album with jimmy page and sonny boy williamson collaboration. On the cover it has a picture of Jimmy page wearing his black pants and shirt with the dragon running down the side can anyone tell me more about the album.

barryboru

I don't have my notes with me a the moment so I have to wing my response from memory. If I'm wrong I'm sure Swandown can correct it:

This album was released on the Springboard label in 1975 to capitalize on Led Zeppelin's

unprecedented popularity at the time. I think if you look closely it actually features a full color photo of Jimmy Page performing live in 1973 on the cover, so no dragons to be

seen here. The album features tracks from a session Jimmy Page did with Sonny Boy Williamson in April 1965 just before Sonny Boy left that country for the last time.

This album is valued at anywhere from $15 to $30 in mint condition. I seldom see them in anything but very good to poor condition.

I think there was an earlier release of these recordings......maybe in France or something? Either way, the recording was little more than a hastily-assembled jam session. I don't think the musicians even had time to rehearse -- Sonny Boy just showed up and they started playing immediately. Jimmy mostly plays rhythm guitar but he does take solos on 3 of the tracks.

While some sources say the sessions took place in April 1965, it actually seems to have taken place on January 28, 1965 at IBC Studios. The musicians were:

Jimmy Page, guitar

Brian Auger, organ

Ricky Brown, bass

Mickey Waller, drums

Joe Harriot & Alan Skidmore, saxes

There are some quotes from Mickey Waller (who was interviewed by Chris Welch) and other stuff in Bob Brunning's Blues: The British Connection (earlier published as Blues in Britain, I think), cf. pp. 175-176. There is also a recently released 2CD edition of Sonny Boy Williamson in Britain, and that has the whole thing, including The Yardbirds, The Animals and the Brian Auger session.

Waller says: 'We started at 10.00 am and it was all done by 1.00 pm. Also it was done completely live: there were no overdubs. We all sat in a circle and played.' Sonny Boy got drunk, and his erratic sense of timing gave them some trouble.

While some sources say the sessions took place in April 1965, it actually seems to have taken place on January 28, 1965 at IBC Studios. The musicians were:

Way to go, Otto! I tell you, trying to figure out those Page session years is like playing with a damn Rubiks cube.

I think there was an earlier release of these recordings......maybe in France or something? Either way, the recording was little more than a hastily-assembled jam session. I don't think the musicians even had time to rehearse -- Sonny Boy just showed up and they started playing immediately. Jimmy mostly plays rhythm guitar but he does take solos on 3 of the tracks.

I think there are not less than a couple of "original" vinyl pressings and one is from France (I guess 1973), different sleeves too.

Archived