First time "San Francisco" from Dazed and Confused was played?

Gandolf

Again, we all know that this was the precursor to the song Achilles Last Stand (my favorite BTW), but does anybody know when was the first time this was played live as a medley in Dazed and Confused. Did this song just form from an improvisation?

This could be wrong, But I would say either the 16th or the 20th of 1972. Its not played on the 8th or 12th and I dont have the 11th or 17th.

the tape for the 16th is cut where SF should be and when it comes back all we can hear is a bit of the last line where plants is saying meet some people there. The tape for the 20th is cut in the exact same place and comes back at the same place Comparing sweet brummy roll bootleg from the 20th with the audience master for the 16th shows they are both the same show wrongly dated. dont know which date is correct now. That's as close as I can get to an answer for you.

Good question! From 'Led Zeppelin:The Concert File' by Dave Lewis:

Tuesday October 4, 1972

Tokyo, Japan

Budokan Hall

During the ever expanding 'Dazed and Confused', Page played an instrumental version of Scott Mackenzie's 'San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)'. This theme would be much expanded in later concerts.

And this from October 9: 'Dazed and Confused' was beginning to evolve into an even longer epic than ever before-Page's pre-violin bow sequence was the foundation for Plant to ad-lib lines from Neil Young's 'Down by the River'. By the time they reached London in December, it would be the regular spot for the previously mentioned 'summer of love' anthem, 'San Francisco'.

Friday December 22, 1972

London, England

Alexandra Palace

An excellent version of 'Dazed and Confused' featured some outstanding call and response duels between Page and Plant. The 'San Francisco' section now also included lyrics.

EDIT: juxtiphi is probably right it could've been played earlier, but the 22nd seems to be the first hard evidence.

Parts of the instrumental section of the San Francisco interlude had been played by Jimmy since at least 69' in sections of WS / BMS. These experiments would evolve in two distinct directions, STH in one direction and ALS in the other.

Good question! From 'Led Zeppelin:The Concert File' by Dave Lewis:

Tuesday October 4, 1972

Tokyo, Japan

Budokan Hall

During the ever expanding 'Dazed and Confused', Page played an instrumental version of Scott Mackenzie's 'San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)'. This theme would be much expanded in later concerts.

And this from October 9: 'Dazed and Confused' was beginning to evolve into an even longer epic than ever before-Page's pre-violin bow sequence was the foundation for Plant to ad-lib lines from Neil Young's 'Down by the River'. By the time they reached London in December, it would be the regular spot for the previously mentioned 'summer of love' anthem, 'San Francisco'.

Friday December 22, 1972

London, England

Alexandra Palace

An excellent version of 'Dazed and Confused' featured some outstanding call and response duels between Page and Plant. The 'San Francisco' section now also included lyrics.

EDIT: juxtiphi is probably right it could've been played earlier, but the 22nd seems to be the first hard evidence.

WoW I should have known it was in the October 4th show. I did a rework of that show that was included as part of a larger torrent for this show posted by Acapulcogold. I listened to it a hundred times while working on it. You can hear it but its very embryonic and very short. The framework for a future part of Dazed.

WoW I should have known it was in the October 4th show. I did a rework of that show that was included as part of a larger torrent for this show posted by Acapulcogold. I listened to it a hundred times while working on it. You can hear it but its very embryonic and very short. The framework for a future part of Dazed.

Just had a listen, you're right, it is short! (6:20ish-6:50ish)

Here's the Dec. 22nd version (7:30-8:50):

Archived