How have Led Zeppelin changed your life?

BecZep

Have Led Zeppelin changed your life for the better? If so, how and why and when? Share the details and share your story!

For me, they single handedly got me back into music again and gave me the desire to play music once more after taking a two year break from the music scene altogether. I literally, cannot thank them enough for that, but there was just something about their music....when I heard it...it made me want to start playing again...I'm so grateful :D

What's your story? What have Led Zeppelin done for you? How have they improved your life?

When I was 17 back in 82' a friend played me LZIV and I was mesmerised and actually without knowing it at the time really listening to music for the first time, they're power and expression and God given talent separated them from the pack, after experiencing Zeppelin everything that wasn't of that quality or at least a true artist I found myself throwing away probably 75% of my music, things like AC/DC, KISS and Black Sabbath to name a few, so how they changed my life(musically anyway) was to discern quickly what is worth listening to for variety of reasons!

Got me into the blues. Inspired me to start having a bit more discipline about practicing my own music.

And got me through a very bad couple of years (redundancy, illness which probably would have meant I'd have to stop working anyway) just by giving me something to really enjoy and focus on. I was practically confined to the house by illness and lack of money, and my new hobby (studying Zep like I was expecting to sit an exam) was often the only bright spot. I got a bit obsessive for a little while, but hey, there are worse things you could do, right? (Like hit the bottle or whatever). It didn't cost too much, and it made me happy. I would go for long walks when I was up to it, and listen to the albums endlessly (for a few months I don't think I listened to anything else), and it helped.

Now I'm better and have a new job, and I drive to work blasting out Zep - really psyches you up for the day. I've got less time for the endless reading articles online and collecting pics and what have you, but I don't love them any less. I'm certain they'll always be my favourite band.

I'm certain they'll always be my favourite band.

The only things that are guaranteed in my life until I die is paying taxes, making good money, my love for family & friends, and Led Zeppelin being my favorite band of all time.

The only things that are guaranteed in my life until I die is paying taxes, making good money, my love for family & friends, and Led Zeppelin being my favorite band of all time.

Experience has taught me that the making money part is never guaranteed... amen to the rest though :)

Experience has taught me that the making money part is never guaranteed... amen to the rest though :)

The field I'm in it is - please don't take this as me being arrogant, because I certainly am not

It's kind of dumb and cliche but before led zeppelin I had grew up in an extremely religious family and was actually in seminary school. I heard led zeppelin for the first time and realized that I never believed in God and everything that I had done in my life up to that point was to impress other people so they would think I was a good person. I quit seminary a week later. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to quit but led zeppelin got me through that time and now I'm on my own path and I'm learning to live for myself and not others. They also taught me to be more open minded and I've learned so much about other people and the world through them. I've tried things I never thought I would try. They just helped me become a better person in general I think.

The field I'm in it is - please don't take this as me being arrogant, because I certainly am not

I don't think you're arrogant - I'm curious though. May I ask what field?

Really, though - even if you're lucky enough to be in something that's future-proof and recession-proof and everything-proof, stuff can happen. Illness or accident can leave you unable to work. I hope it never happens to you, but it can. About the only thing to be said for it is it's made me a more compassionate person - never again will I make assumptions about the disadvantaged just not working hard enough or whatever.

It's kind of dumb and cliche but before led zeppelin I had grew up in an extremely religious family and was actually in seminary school. I heard led zeppelin for the first time and realized that I never believed in God and everything that I had done in my life up to that point was to impress other people so they would think I was a good person. I quit seminary a week later. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to quit but led zeppelin got me through that time and now I'm on my own path and I'm learning to live for myself and not others. They also taught me to be more open minded and I've learned so much about other people and the world through them. I've tried things I never thought I would try. They just helped me become a better person in general I think.

That's awesome. Nice story. :)

I'm a newbie..ever since I started listening to them a few months ago I have become somewhat obsessed with their music and subsequently music of that era. I grew up during the punk rock era so I never gave LZ a chance but now nothing else compares. I've seen their concerts on youtube, read books about them and what impresses me most is the fact that they were not media darlings(like the Stones). They didn't hang out with celebs back then. They were all about the music and I'm so glad I found them after all these years(in my 40's, married with 2 kids, Breast cancer survivor). Their amazing music and lyrics have seen me through some tough times.

I'm a newbie..ever since I started listening to them a few months ago I have become somewhat obsessed with their music and subsequently music of that era. I grew up during the punk rock era so I never gave LZ a chance but now nothing else compares. I've seen their concerts on youtube, read books about them and what impresses me most is the fact that they were not media darlings(like the Stones). They didn't hang out with celebs back then. They were all about the music and I'm so glad I found them after all these years(in my 40's, married with 2 kids, Breast cancer survivor). Their amazing music and lyrics have seen me through some tough times.

Your story is inspiring, realgirl. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome realgirl! Thank you for sharing your story. Led Zeppelin's music has gotten me through hard times too. Hope your time here on the forum is full of good times! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really think of lemons in the same way now. Apart from that, and on a more serious note, along with my other favourite bands they help me get through each day as it comes the very best I can. And for that I owe an enormous debt to those creative people who made the music. There's nothing I value more than what they've produced for us.

Led Zeppelin changed my perception of music and art as I have gotten older. Led Zeppelin were a clear example of a band that was dedicated to pushing boundaries and moving music to the next horizon! Recording Kashmir at one moment, and changing gears and having something like The Rain Song, and moving that along to All My Love or Hot Dog, they refused to be put in a box, and each album clearly shows that when you put it on the stereo or in the car and so on. They openly incorporated all styles. Because of that Led Zeppelin opened my eyes to a bigger music world instead of the usual 3 minute pop songs we hear all of the time. And because of that, Led Zeppelin reinvigorates my belief that music and art can be great.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here goes. I've been playing the guitar since I was about 14 (thanks to many guitar greats, to also include Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton) and back then I did like Led Zep, but I would mostly like the songs everyone knows (the usual, like Stairway, Whole lotta love, etc.). In other words, I liked them but you couldn't call me a huge fan.

So on to present times, recently my bandcoach tried to inspire me regarding things I should practice on the guitar. He is a huge fan of 60's and 70's music (he also plays a white Jimi Hendrix style Fender Strat) and he came up with Jimmy Page. Off course I had already heard of Jimmy, but this time I took the time to dig a little bit deeper. I tried to find more info about both Led Zeppelin's music as well as about Jimmy's style of playing. Somehow, since I decided to dig into the music a bit more, I've been appreciating it more and more. During my search I came upon this forum.

So how did Led Zep change my life? They surely revived my inspiration regarding playing the guitar.

Oh and any drummer or bass-player should absolutely listen to John Paul Jones and John Bonham. Led Zep did not only have a musical pioneer as their guitarist, the 4 of them combined made this band so special.

I often listen to music that I nowhere near as heavy as Led Zep, Led Zep has to be the heaviest band I truly like.

Maaike

Great posts everyone. :)

A belated Welcome jnm244 & realgirl :wave:

Led Zeppelin changed my life as a drummer at 14 years old. I was playing Iron Maiden and other heavy stuff with a school mate guitarist who was into that.

Before that at about 11 when I first started drumming I played The Beatles, Dire Straits, The Shadows, AC/DC and god knows what else.

So at 14 I moved to Melbourne and met a guitarist who was a few years older than me at a local pub whilst drinking under age and he asked me to leave my current school mates band to join him in a band.

He introduced me to Zepp and also Rush and Cream, Deep Purple, Hendrix, The Yard Birds, Hawkwind, The Doors and lot's of greats.
It was the Zepp at that time that changed my drumming for the better.
I was litterally transformed into a new world of percussion and music.

Zepp opened up my mind, broadened my horizens musically and worldly and inspired me to create and also taught me how to listen to what the other muso's I played with were really doing.
Instead of playing selfishly they taught me to listen to the others I was playing with and to weave into their music. Kind of magical to me and we were playing off each other making improvisations of what each other were doing. Even turning mistakes into new and good things.

Zepp changed me in so many possitive ways and they still do. :)

Led Zeppelin changed my perception of music and art as I have gotten older. Led Zeppelin were a clear example of a band that was dedicated to pushing boundaries and moving music to the next horizon! Recording Kashmir at one moment, and changing gears and having something like The Rain Song, and moving that along to All My Love or Hot Dog, they refused to be put in a box, and each album clearly shows that when you put it on the stereo or in the car and so on. They openly incorporated all styles. Because of that Led Zeppelin opened my eyes to a bigger music world instead of the usual 3 minute pop songs we hear all of the time. And because of that, Led Zeppelin reinvigorates my belief that music and art can be great.

I completely concur, Charles.

Archived