Madison Square Garden 9-19-1970 Definitive Edition?

lcondo123

Yeah? Ok, thanks. I'm sure I'll find it. The photos from there are so cool, must have been a cold night, Robert is wearing a thick sweater on stage :-)

Tack så mycket, BlyZeppelinaren ;-)

The evening show of Sep 19th is a gem. I love it so much I wrote a science fiction fantasy about it, me traveling back in time to see the gig (and meet the guys but that's another story ;-) ) Led Zeppelin visited Helsinki, Finland on Feb 23rd 1970, almost exactly three years before I was born. Seen some photos but never heard any material from that night?!

Welcome to the 9/19/1970 fan club! :toast::friends:

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are right, I can hardly even listen to soundboards anymore. The sound is so dry, flat, lifeless... like the music has no room to breathe. As Jimmy said 'Distance equals depth'.

Same principals seem to apply to boots!

Soundboards still have their place and serve a purpose, in my opinion. When there is no audience tape or the audience tape is shite, I'll welcome a chance to hear a soundboard. A soundboard of 9.19.90 MSG would be OMG!

Or imagine a multitrack of that show?

What a lost opportunity that was...Zeppelin's first appearance at the Garden, the band riding high off the year-long chart success of Led Zep II, Eddie Kramer surely was in town.

They should have called him up and asked him to multitrack the MSG shows for historical reasons alone!

But I still harbor a belief/dream that a soundboard for this show exists somewhere...either in Jimmy's vault or some enterprising former roadie/mixing board employee of the band.

Soundboards still have their place and serve a purpose, in my opinion. When there is no audience tape or the audience tape is shite, I'll welcome a chance to hear a soundboard. A soundboard of 9.19.90 MSG would be OMG!

What a lost opportunity that was...Zeppelin's first appearance at the Garden, the band riding high off the year-long chart success of Led Zep II, Eddie Kramer surely was in town.

They should have called him up and asked him to multitrack the MSG shows for historical reasons alone!

But I still harbor a belief/dream that a soundboard for this show exists somewhere...either in Jimmy's vault or some enterprising former roadie/mixing board employee of the band.

A multitrack of this show would be something sent from the heavens above!! The power and energy in this show would just be unbelievable if it was multitracked. And who knows, you could be right, the possibilities of this show being soundboarded are pretty high considering it is MSG. Its gotta be somewhere....

A multitrack of this show would be something sent from the heavens above!! The power and energy in this show would just be unbelievable if it was multitracked. And who knows, you could be right, the possibilities of this show being soundboarded are pretty high considering it is MSG. Its gotta be somewhere....

Definitely #1 on my Zep wishlist. :smiley_pray::smiley_pray::smiley_pray:

• 4 months later...

9.19.70 Evening MSG is one of my all-time favourite Led Zeppelin shows, too. It should be a cornerstone of any Zeppelin fan's collection.

I have four different CD releases of this show...with barely decipherable sound quality differences. I'll have to check the Small Fish and Funeral for a Friend versions.

FYI...my 10 essential 1970 concerts list:

1. 9.19.70 MSG Evening...A no brainer. Amazing setlist. Ferocious playing. So what if the tape quality is average...sorry to sound judgemental, but if you cannot enjoy this show because it isn't a soundboard, I feel sorry for you.

2. 3.7.70 Montreux...RAH on steroids...and with a more complete setlist than RAH.

3. 9.4.70 LA Forum...Another no-brainer. The first epic bootleg in Led Zeppelin's history.

4. 1.9.70 RAH...Jimmy's Birthday Party! Obviously the best sounding show of 1970, thanks to the official release on DVD. Note to Jimmy: Can we please have an official audio release of RAH?

5. 8.22.70 Ft. Worth, TX...Thanks to the location of the taper, Jimmy's guitar is face-meltingly loud. Sizzling.

6. 4.17.70 Memphis, TN...The band was obviously inspired being in Elvis Presley country.

7. 9.2.70 Oakland...Son of Blueberry Hill. Often overlooked.

8. 9.19.70 MSG Afternoon...Not quite as epic as the night show but still good.

9. 3.21.70 Vancouver...Only negative is that it's an incomplete show.

10. 3.27.70 LA Forum...Led Zeppelin's love affair with the Forum begins.

"5. 8.22.70 Ft. Worth, TX.."

Didn't know it exists.

I enjoy your posts.

"5. 8.22.70 Ft. Worth, TX.."

Didn't know it exists.

I enjoy your posts.

That's a nice compliment...thank you, Mr. Kite. You aren't the one and only Mr. Kite, are you?

My eyesight is failing me...I made a Magoo boo-boo when I listed Ft. Worth 1970. It is actually the August 23, 1971 Ft. Worth show that I thought was August 22, 1970 on the bootleg I have: EVSD's "Led Zeppelin Live: Ahead & After: The Prestigious Grammy Award".

zep_aheadafter.jpg

• 1 year later...

Haha, promising upgrade in sound...if you put a lot of EQ, then you'll get exact same "upgrade" but in fact you just get a much more brickwalled / tweaked sound, nothing else. Grab EaP version if you're really lookin' for any upgrade or go to the professional recording studio to prepare these tapes. There's no other true way to make any upgrade I am afraid.

Archived