Madison Square Garden 9-19-1970 Definitive Edition?

lcondo123

Hello one and all, I've just been searching around for some new boots to check out and I have heard a lot of great things from the evening show at MSG September 19, 1970. I was just wondering what people think is the best version of this show: I'm deciding between EVSD's "Requiem," Boogie Mama's "One More for the Road," and finally I heard that Small Fish's remaster of the show also titled "One More for the Road: 2005 Edition" is fantastic. I know where to get ahold of Boogie Mama's version but I do not know where to locate the other two. Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance everyone :peace:

Oh it's my time to shine!

As many of you may know already this is my absolute favorite show they ever did, I've listened to most of the versions available and it's not really much of a difference between them, it's the best recording ever and no amount of tweaking will really change that, with that said the one I listen to(more than once a week) is a fan remaster of it called "Funeral for a Friend" which I found was the most pleasing to my ears, everyone really should give this show a listen, it's just amazing

Stick with Small Fish

That's the one I was leaning towards. Would you have any idea where I could find it? The usual place that I get boots doesn't have it.

Oh it's my time to shine!

As many of you may know already this is my absolute favorite show they ever did, I've listened to most of the versions available and it's not really much of a difference between them, it's the best recording ever and no amount of tweaking will really change that, with that said the one I listen to(more than once a week) is a fan remaster of it called "Funeral for a Friend" which I found was the most pleasing to my ears, everyone really should give this show a listen, it's just amazing

Thanks for letting me know!! I'll have to try and find that one and give it a listen.

That's the one I was leaning towards. Would you have any idea where I could find it? The usual place that I get boots doesn't have it.

Thanks for letting me know!! I'll have to try and find that one and give it a listen.

Check your PM bro. You too Bly. ;)

'Born to Please' is another good one.

Lineage: Master>R2R>CDR Speed corrected and cleaned by Eddie Edwards

Check your PM bro. You too Bly. ;)

'Born to Please' is another good one.

Lineage: Master>R2R>CDR Speed corrected and cleaned by Eddie Edwards

Thanks a bunch man I appreciate it!! I'll definitely give that a listen today and for a while :shifty:

I'd have to say this gig & Blueberry Hill have to be my favorites from 1970. They were on fire & filled the show with some really great covers. You can tell they were really enjoying themselves.

Montreux as well, them and the audience were on fire that night! And of course Albert Hall. (1970 was my favorite year) Bath was probably good too, if we had a decent recording we could tell. :lol:

Montreux as well, them and the audience were on fire that night! And of course Albert Hall. (1970 was my favorite year) Bath was probably good too, if we had a decent recording we could tell. :lol:

Oh, yeah totally. The Montreux show is a beast, performance and sound quality wise! I gotta agree with you on that dude, 1970 and 1971 are my favorite Zep years, they were just monsters on stage during that era!

Oh, yeah totally. The Montreux show is a beast, performance and sound quality wise! I gotta agree with you on that dude, 1970 and 1971 are my favorite Zep years, they were just monsters on stage during that era!

I would put 69 a close second. Love those short, powerful setlists. Whisky a Go-Go, Denmark, the Fillmore shows, the entire US summer 69 tour was great! Cheers! :friends:

9.19.70 Evening MSG is one of my all-time favourite Led Zeppelin shows, too. It should be a cornerstone of any Zeppelin fan's collection.

I have four different CD releases of this show...with barely decipherable sound quality differences. I'll have to check the Small Fish and Funeral for a Friend versions.

FYI...my 10 essential 1970 concerts list:

1. 9.19.70 MSG Evening...A no brainer. Amazing setlist. Ferocious playing. So what if the tape quality is average...sorry to sound judgemental, but if you cannot enjoy this show because it isn't a soundboard, I feel sorry for you.

2. 3.7.70 Montreux...RAH on steroids...and with a more complete setlist than RAH.

3. 9.4.70 LA Forum...Another no-brainer. The first epic bootleg in Led Zeppelin's history.

4. 1.9.70 RAH...Jimmy's Birthday Party! Obviously the best sounding show of 1970, thanks to the official release on DVD. Note to Jimmy: Can we please have an official audio release of RAH?

5. 8.22.70 Ft. Worth, TX...Thanks to the location of the taper, Jimmy's guitar is face-meltingly loud. Sizzling.

6. 4.17.70 Memphis, TN...The band was obviously inspired being in Elvis Presley country.

7. 9.2.70 Oakland...Son of Blueberry Hill. Often overlooked.

8. 9.19.70 MSG Afternoon...Not quite as epic as the night show but still good.

9. 3.21.70 Vancouver...Only negative is that it's an incomplete show.

10. 3.27.70 LA Forum...Led Zeppelin's love affair with the Forum begins.

9.19.70 Evening MSG is one of my all-time favourite Led Zeppelin shows, too. It should be a cornerstone of any Zeppelin fan's collection.

I have four different CD releases of this show...with barely decipherable sound quality differences. I'll have to check the Small Fish and Funeral for a Friend versions.

FYI...my 10 essential 1970 concerts list:

1. 9.19.70 MSG Evening...A no brainer. Amazing setlist. Ferocious playing. So what if the tape quality is average...sorry to sound judgemental, but if you cannot enjoy this show because it isn't a soundboard, I feel sorry for you.

2. 3.7.70 Montreux...RAH on steroids...and with a more complete setlist than RAH.

3. 9.4.70 LA Forum...Another no-brainer. The first epic bootleg in Led Zeppelin's history.

4. 1.9.70 RAH...Jimmy's Birthday Party! Obviously the best sounding show of 1970, thanks to the official release on DVD. Note to Jimmy: Can we please have an official audio release of RAH?

5. 8.22.70 Ft. Worth, TX...Thanks to the location of the taper, Jimmy's guitar is face-meltingly loud. Sizzling.

6. 4.17.70 Memphis, TN...The band was obviously inspired being in Elvis Presley country.

7. 9.2.70 Oakland...Son of Blueberry Hill. Often overlooked.

8. 9.19.70 MSG Afternoon...Not quite as epic as the night show but still good.

9. 3.21.70 Vancouver...Only negative is that it's an incomplete show.

10. 3.27.70 LA Forum...Led Zeppelin's love affair with the Forum begins.

Strider, I always love your posts because they are so thought out and well put!! I'll definitely have to check out some (all) of these shows now that you've pointed them out! I can't agree with you more on Montreux that show is a freakin beast and the sound quality is just insane for an audience tape in 1970. Personally, I prefer audience tapes over some soundboards because in a lot of SBDs there's no vibe from the audience and the audience's cheering and everything is what makes a concert and concert. Now, if you've got a great show and its both soundboard AND audience, then matrix it and we've got the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

You guys are right, I can hardly even listen to soundboards anymore. The sound is so dry, flat, lifeless... like the music has no room to breathe. As Jimmy said 'Distance equals depth!'

Page reportedly used natural room ambience to enhance the reverb and recording texture on the record, demonstrating the innovations in sound recording he had learned during his session days. Up until the late 1960s, most music producers placed microphones directly in front of the amplifiers and drums. For Led Zeppelin, Page developed the idea of placing an additional microphone some distance from the amplifier (as far as twenty feet) and then recording the balance between the two. By adopting this "distance equals depth" technique, Page became one of the first producers to record a band's "ambient sound": the distance of a note's time-lag from one end of the room to the other.[15][16]

Same principals seem to apply to boots!

You guys are right, I can hardly even listen to soundboards anymore. The sound is so dry, flat, lifeless... like the music has no room to breathe. As Jimmy said 'Distance equals depth!'

Page reportedly used natural room ambience to enhance the reverb and recording texture on the record, demonstrating the innovations in sound recording he had learned during his session days. Up until the late 1960s, most music producers placed microphones directly in front of the amplifiers and drums. For Led Zeppelin, Page developed the idea of placing an additional microphone some distance from the amplifier (as far as twenty feet) and then recording the balance between the two. By adopting this "distance equals depth" technique, Page became one of the first producers to record a band's "ambient sound": the distance of a note's time-lag from one end of the room to the other.[15][16]

Same principals seem to apply to boots!

Exactly! Even if the audio quality of an audience tape is okay, I would prefer it over a soundboard because they are exactly what you said: stale and flat. I always say this and I will continue to do so, one of my all time favorite shows is 4-28-77. First, it's a personal show because my dad was there second row; and second, the ambiance and fullness of that tape captures the audience's power all the while capturing an amazing Zeppelin performance. And, IMO I prefer an audience tape that's a bit big sounding because if you put headphones on or play it through a stereo and close your eyes, you feel like you are there. That feeling is what makes a good boot into a great boot.

Exactly! Even if the audio quality of an audience tape is okay, I would prefer it over a soundboard because they are exactly what you said: stale and flat. I always say this and I will continue to do so, one of my all time favorite shows is 4-28-77. First, it's a personal show because my dad was there second row; and second, the ambiance and fullness of that tape captures the audience's power all the while capturing an amazing Zeppelin performance. And, IMO I prefer an audience tape that's a bit big sounding because if you put headphones on or play it through a stereo and close your eyes, you feel like you are there. That feeling is what makes a good boot into a great boot.

:gimmefive:

So if you had to pick one show for sound quality only - 9.4.70 (LA) or 9.19.70 (NY) which one would you say is better? For me I think Blueberry Hill gets the nod - I have so many versions of BBH & only one of the NY gig - but for me 9.4.70 sets the standard for audience, with Montreaux & NY a tie for second place - thoughts??

I think Blueberry Hill and Montreux both have 9.19 beat by a pretty fair margin in sound quality. Can't go wrong with any of them though, especially performance wise!

:gimmefive:

I think Blueberry Hill and Montreux both have 9.19 beat by a pretty fair margin in sound quality. Can't go wrong with any of them though, especially performance wise!

I think I would put Montreux at first with best quality then Blueberry Hill, then 9.19. But yes, you can't go wrong with any of the three!! These shows are just plain out spectacular.

I think I would put Montreux at first with best quality then Blueberry Hill, then 9.19. But yes, you can't go wrong with any of the three!! These shows are just plain out spectacular.

Definitely better sound quality but I've listened to 9-19 way more because it's frankly a way better performance and that's saying a lot

Definitely better sound quality but I've listened to 9-19 way more because it's frankly a way better performance and that's saying a lot

Yes! I should've specified that this was my opinion in sound quality. Performance wise, 9-19 is a much better performance imo too

• 2 weeks later...

The evening show of Sep 19th is a gem. I love it so much I wrote a science fiction fantasy about it, me traveling back in time to see the gig (and meet the guys but that's another story ;-) ) Led Zeppelin visited Helsinki, Finland on Feb 23rd 1970, almost exactly three years before I was born. Seen some photos but never heard any material from that night?!

The evening show of Sep 19th is a gem. I love it so much I wrote a science fiction fantasy about it, me traveling back in time to see the gig (and meet the guys but that's another story ;-) ) Led Zeppelin visited Helsinki, Finland on Feb 23rd 1970, almost exactly three years before I was born. Seen some photos but never heard any material from that night?!

The full show is out there, "Fixin' to Die" is the best release I think

Found the full show

(See it as a gift from Finlands brother from the west)

Archived