Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

"Isn't not valid"? All I'm doing is expressing an opinion about how I feel about the ranking of art, in this case, music. I feel it's futile to do so. I'm not espousing a "theory", just an opinion.

Should I write this reply to you in A.D.D. form?? Will you understand it better that way??? Get this through your thick, mindless, hard -headed skull....If you wanna call it "ranking" a band-that's fine..whatever you wanna turn it into , you will do so anyhow-so no matter what anybody elses opinion is, you will make sure it's understood by you at any cost. But ask yourself this very important question and it may answer anything you wanna throw back, Mr. Nobel Peace Prize Winner...without ranking or judging, how can someone then decide on who they like more, or if they like or dislike anyone at all??? You listen to a song and judge it to your own taste if you like it or not. Right???? You know if you like a certain genre of music, by judging it, listening to it, right?? Isn't that the way people have favorite bands, songs, etc. It is for me. I like what I like because I've listened to it. Therefore, calling a group "overrrated" is another way of saying that their music doesn't appeal to you as much as it may to the masses or to the media, who so many times crowns the Stones or The Beates as the "greatest rock and roll band"....I'm here to say that I don't agree with that, by my own taste. Their songs do not appeal to me or grab me like some other artist do. Your problem is, you don't RESPECT anyone elses opinion if it conflicts your own. If you don't agree, you wanna force a battle or explanation. There are plenty of people that disagree with me and plenty that do agree. The key is to be respectful to someone else's views, unless thay are taking it to another level. You FAIL to do that. You can't grasp anyone else opinion , but your own. But you sure do like to give your own....So here's the question....So if you do not rank art...does that mean that everything you listen to is completly equal??? I don't think so!

Edited by Rock Historian

"Isn't not valid"? All I'm doing is expressing an opinion about how I feel about the ranking of art, in this case, music. I feel it's futile to do so. I'm not espousing a "theory", just an opinion.

If I say that Mozart is better than Lady Gaga(and I take this example on purpose), you can't answer:"Well, it's your opinion"

Should I write this reply to you in A.D.D. form?? Will you understand it better that way??? Get this through your thick, mindless, hard -headed skull....If you wanna call it "ranking" a band-that's fine..whatever you wanna turn it into , you will do so anyhow-so no matter what anybody elses opinion is, you will make sure it's understood by you at any cost. But ask yourself this very important question and it may answer anything you wanna throw back, Mr. Nobel Peace Prize Winner...without ranking or judging, how can someone then decide on who they like more, or if they like or dislike anyone at all??? You listen to a song and judge it to your own taste if you like it or not. Right???? You know if you like a certain genre of music, by judging it, listening to it, right?? Isn't that the way people have favorite bands, songs, etc. It is for me. I like what I like because I've listened to it. Therefore, calling a group "overrrated" is another way of saying that their music doesn't appeal to you as much as it may to the masses or to the media, who so many times crowns the Stones or The Beates as the "greatest rock and roll band"....I'm here to say that I don't agree with that, by my own taste. Their songs do not appeal to me or grab me like some other artist do. Your problem is, you don't RESPECT anyone elses opinion if it conflicts your own. If you don't agree, you wanna force a battle or explanation. There are plenty of people that disagree with me and plenty that do agree. The key is to be respectful to someone else's views, unless thay are taking it to another level. You FAIL to do that. You can't grasp anyone else opinion , but your own. But you sure do like to give your own....So here's the question....So if you do not rank art...does that mean that everything you listen to is completly equal??? I don't think so!

You've gotten a whole lot of nonsense out of things I never said. All I did was state my own opinion about how I feel about ranking music. For example, I never said I didn't respect the opinions of others. I'm motivated to listen to music dictated by what mood I'm in at the time. It's not driven by who I think is "better". In other words, I find the whole "X is better than Y" approach to be futile. That's not a knock against you or anyone else that feels the need to rank music, it's simply my own opinion on the matter. I fail to see what's so difficult to comprehend about that.

You've gotten a whole lot of nonsense out of things I never said. All I did was state my own opinion about how I feel about ranking music. For example, I never said I didn't respect the opinions of others. I'm motivated to listen to music dictated by what mood I'm in at the time. It's not driven by who I think is "better". In other words, I find the whole "X is better than Y" approach to be futile. That's not a knock against you or anyone else that feels the need to rank music, it's simply my own opinion on the matter. I fail to see what's so difficult to comprehend about that.

I love how you play Mr. Innocent, after you basically demand an explanation...your a great actor-you should move to hollywood. Im sure I'll get many replies from you in the near future, if it's something you feel was written out of context or you think needs an explanation. I now realise I'm not dealing or debating with someone who is normal by normal standards. Good day sir, and good luck with that. And for the record, the only nonsense here is you. Your a joke. You try and make philosophies from musical opinions....I'll let someone else take over-I got a life to live- Go listen to The Stones, you may feel better.

Edited by Rock Historian

Jahfin, let's play a game:here is my question:

Who is better:Mozart or Lady Gaga?

It's like a multiple choice test actually:

A-You answer Mozart, and therefore you contradict everything you have said until now

B-You answer Lady Gaga (no comment)

C- You don't answer(it means you can't decide between Mozart and Lady Gaga...)

D- You say they are both different, and you can't compare them( in other words you say that Lady Gaga can be considered to be as talented as Mozart, "it's just a matter of opinion")

Good luck!

Edited by goldenguitar

I'm motivated to listen to music dictated by what mood I'm in at the time. It's not driven by who I think is "better". In other words, I find the whole "X is better than Y" approach to be futile.

I listen to music for the same reasons you do. Music is all about emotion, mood, feel. However you FAIL to understand that for ME, The Stones catalouge is limited to the songs that I feel move me. As for you, their songs may appeal to you on a greater more vast level. I do not listen to a band on the single purpose of comparing it with anything else. But, I do know if I like something or not from listening to it. So to simplify it for you, there are not many Stone's songs that appeal to me other than the tracks that happen to be their most popular. Which is why I feel they are an "overrated" band..that also holds the media crown of "greatest rock and roll band". If you have anymore questions, comments, etc. make sure you shed light on the countless ones I've directed to you, with no reply.

A-You answer Mozart, and therefore you contradict everything you have said until now

D- You say they are both different, and you can't compare them( in other words you say that Lady Gaga can be considered to be as talented as Mozart, "it's just a matter of opinion")

Good luck!

:duel:

Let me just say 'I Fucking Love the Stones', and....I totally agree that, most (not all) Stone's records contain a lot of 'fat'.

They weren't too interested in 'quality control' past 1971. Sure, they pumped out tons of records and made gobs of money,

but they're good songs are just so damn good, I can't hold it against them.

Lady Gaga...hands down.

Let me just say 'I Fucking Love the Stones', and....I totally agree that, most (not all) Stone's records contain a lot of 'fat'.

They weren't too interested in 'quality control' past 1971. Lady Gaga...hands down.

:hysterical: Love it! (humor) and the honesty from a real Stone's fan, that ADMITS their lack of abundance of good songs on record.

I love how you play Mr. Innocent, after you basically demand an explanation...

Please direct me to the post where I demanded an explanation.

Good luck!

If someone likes Lady Gaga more than Mozart their opinion is just as valid as someone who feels the opposite way about their music. When expressing an opinion there is no right or wrong.

Good luck!

Goldenguitar... I told ya he'd pick D, !!!!!

That I still need to buy this someday. There's always some used copies that are pretty inexpensive available through Amazon.

It's probably the best Stones collection of them all even though it stops at Sticky Fingers. It's also all mono mixes. It's money we'll spent if you ever decide to make the plunge.

It's probably the best Stones collection of them all even though it stops at Sticky Fingers. It's also all mono mixes. It's money we'll spent if you ever decide to make the plunge.

Funny, that with a back catalog as extensive as the Stones' that this is the only box set they've ever released (at least that I'm aware of). I know they've released a box of some of their SACD reissues but what I'm referring here to an actual compilation such as The London Years.

Please direct me to the post where I demanded an explanation.

If someone likes Lady Gaga more than Mozart their opinion is just as valid as someone who feels the opposite way about their music. When expressing an opinion there is no right or wrong.

:) No, don't chicken out, I want to know YOUR opinion

Funny, that with a back catalog as extensive as the Stones' that this is the only box set they've ever released (at least that I'm aware of). I know they've released a box of some of their SACD reissues but what I'm referring here to an actual compilation such as The London Years.

I think the Stones have limited control over their old London/ABKCO label music so the record company and Klein estate released this. No doubt the Stones must have approved it but yeah, it is strange there's never been a box set from Exile going forward.